marcelo's 'over/under pass'

mcgoatp4p#1

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
where he gets an overhook and underhook on the arms (while in half guard) instead of the legs. is there another name for this pass? or does anyone have a decent instructional video on it?

thanks!

I'm pretty sure it's covered both on Paul's passing DVD and MGiA

where he gets an overhook and underhook on the arms (while in half guard) instead of the legs. is there another name for this pass?

Uh yeah, it's called 'that move everyone has been using to pass half guard since year zero'.

I mean, seriously, punching in the underhook and freeing the knee is common as hell (to the point where some people even just call it 'the halfguard pass'), which was being done since before HG itself was really even a refined thing even (an approach Marcello just so happens to be particularly good at). Like, how would anyone at least slightly exposed to grappling have not seen it before?

Actually the way Marcelo does it is unique - and I can guarantee you that many black belts do not know his variation. (I have shown this to a handful and they did not know it)

Marcelo has even mentioned to me that he didnt understand why so few people pass his way cause it is so effective.

Uh yeah, it's called 'that move everyone has been using to pass half guard since year zero'.

I mean, seriously, punching in the underhook and freeing the knee is common as hell (to the point where some people even just call it 'the halfguard pass'), which was being done since before HG itself was really even a refined thing even (an approach Marcello just so happens to be particularly good at). Like, how would anyone at least slightly exposed to grappling have not seen it before?

not the way Marcelo has been doing it. He's been using it in a very different way in which he stays almost flat to the ground, as low as possible. I've never seen anyone teach it that way.

(I have shown this to a handful and they did not know it)

Marcelo has even mentioned to me that he didnt understand why so few people pass his way cause it is so effective.

I can see why, the way he does it is quite advanced and simple at the same time. I wouldn't call it an obvious or common sense approach, so I can understand why not many people have spontaneously figured out his way on their own

not the way Marcelo has been doing it. He's been using it in a very different way in which he stays almost flat to the ground, as low as possible. I've never seen anyone teach it that way.

I can see why, the way he does it is quite advanced and simple at the same time. I wouldn't call it an obvious or common sense approach, so I can understand why not many people have spontaneously figured out his way on their own

I know the way Marcelo does it; im just saying the basic structure is common as hell.

You guys mean like this?

Where he practically put his head on the mat next to JT's one? This kind of Hg pass?

Last edited:
just called half guard knee slice on the paul schreiner instructional...i like it right up until the end, i can never free my foot without feeling like im gonna blow out my knee :(

Actually the way Marcelo does it is unique - and I can guarantee you that many black belts do not know his variation. (I have shown this to a handful and they did not know it)

Honestly i tried so many times to pass the half guard like Marcelo but i can't make it work.

He shift his upper body so the opponent shoulders are pinned, then he push the opponent leg with the sole of the foot so he could keep his weight down.
Most guys use the top the foot to free their leg instead of the sole, but doing so their ass will inevitably go up and the balance a little compromised for a split second.

Marcelo's way much more powerful, but i have yet to see someone doing it in high level competition besides the man himself.
I even saw Marcelo students NOT doing it Marcelo style.

If you've set every other grip up on the way, then freeing the knee should be easy and straight through in my experience. The untrapped foot stopping his legs from following your trapped leg is more difficult for me to get and I often have to settle for the my foot on top version.

I know the way Marcelo does it; im just saying the basic structure is common as hell.

The underhook yes, the overhook no- MG is able to control the opponent using the overhook because he is completely off of their centerline and resting his upperbody on top of the overhook- this is not done very often.

Honestly i tried so many times to pass the half guard like Marcelo but i can't make it work.

He shift his upper body so the opponent shoulders are pinned, then he push the opponent leg with the sole of the foot so he could keep his weight down.
Most guys use the top the foot to free their leg instead of the sole, but doing so their ass will inevitably go up and the balance a little compromised for a split second.

Marcelo's way much more powerful, but i have yet to see someone doing it in high level competition besides the man himself.
I even saw Marcelo students NOT doing it Marcelo style.

Jon Satava has been successful with it at the brown and black belt level.

This is the primary pass I teach my students, and they have good success at it (albeit not at high level competition).

Just from personal experience, I'm a recreational brown belt and my half guard is my specialty- if my students are going to pass my guard, it is with this pass will they have more success. Similarly, if I am going to pass a black belts half guard- this is my go to as well.

You guys mean like this?

Where he practically put his head on the mat next to JT's one? This kind of Hg pass?

Similar, but he normally doesnt have his butt so high in the air, and uses the heel of his foot to push down not the top of his foot- like he did in this sequence.

You can see the way he does it in those videos of Eddie Bravo's visit back when.

Edit:

Last edited:
Could have been one of the first HG passes I learned and one of my go-to's... is it really uncommon?

Vastly more people learn the instep prying pass, and without knowing the hip pressure details, a lot of people would look at them and think they are the same pass.

Oh I guess you're right, using the hip pressure to free to knee is not very common.

Back