Marcelo Perierra (Gracie Barra)

BJJ2018

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello.

I created this account because I am interested in starting Jiu Jitsu training and have been researching various options in San Diego. Needless to say, there is a ton.

The closest one to my work is Professor Marcelo Perierra who teaches out of a Gracie Barra academy. In my short time here I see a ton of people really hating on Gracie Barra as a McDojo etc and so Im a bit hesitant. The location is convenient to me but I'm also lucky to live in San Diego where big names like Andre Galvao and Dean Lister teach, among many others.

I'm willing to drive a bit to get a good, legit BJJ instructor, but thought I would ask here first since people here are very knoweleadble.

Thank you for your any advice or help regarding Professor Perierra. Online reviews seem good but they could be unreliable sometimes

Thanks

My suggestion to you is to try a few different schools and get the feel for them. I think most schools will give you a trial period. I know some are a week at most. You should pick three or four schools and give them a try. Each school has a unique feel to them and have different teaching methods.

I don’t train a Gracie Barra. I have dropped in at a few. They all have a structured system and you receive stripes and belts based on attendance. You are required to purchase the school uniforms and the schools are not allowed to teach anything but jiu jitsu.

Someone with more experience at GB school can correct or explain more.

I know nothing about that school, but I'm pretty sure Evenflow80 trains there. If he is half as annoying and insufferable in person as he is online, stay far away from that place.

I know nothing about that school, but I'm pretty sure Evenflow80 trains there. If he is half as annoying and insufferable in person as he is online, stay far away from that place.

I honestly have no idea who you are or what your fucking problem is and frankly don't care. I've been nothing but humble and borderline submissive to everyone on here when I ask questions or ask for advice. Ive been training for less than 2 years and each post i make i make sure i point out and apologize in advance foe any dumb questions or lack of knowledge. Not sure what else i need to do to not upset people like you. I cant be any more cordial and humble than i am already. You don't know me and I don't know you , let's get off our high horses and enjoy our hobby together man :)

And yes I trained there. I have mixed opinions but I'll just leave it at that as I'm not sure it's kosher or not to say things like that about your academy. I can say though everyone there is awesome and friendly. No jerks at all.

It's ok because honestly I'm not trying to be a world champ or anything. Just trying to have fun and learn bjj basics and in that regard it's fine I guess.

Last edited:

Yeah I saw all his posts when I searched the forums for Professor Perierra/Gracie Barra.

I don't know why you are attacking him as all his posts seemed really nice and polite from what I remembered.

At any rate I don't want to derail my thread so lets just keep personal attacks out of it

I honestly have no idea who you are or what your fucking problem is and frankly don't care. I've been nothing but humble and borderline submissive to everyone on here when I ask questions or ask for advice. Ive been training for less than 2 years and each post i make i make sure i point out and apologize in advance foe any dumb questions or lack of knowledge. Not sure what else i need to do to not upset people like you. I cant be any more cordial and humble than i am already. You don't know me and I don't know you , let's get off our high horses and enjoy our hobby together man :)

And yes I trained there. I have mixed opinions but I'll just leave it at that as I'm not sure it's kosher or not to say things like that about your academy. I can say though everyone there is awesome and friendly. No jerks at all.

It's ok because honestly I'm not trying to be a world champ or anything. Just trying to have fun and learn bjj basics and in that regard it's fine I guess.

Hmmm ok thank you so much. I appreciate your honesty for sure! I'll still probably give it a try as having friendly people to train with is important to me.

Thanks again!!

My suggestion to you is to try a few different schools and get the feel for them. I think most schools will give you a trial period. I know some are a week at most. You should pick three or four schools and give them a try. Each school has a unique feel to them and have different teaching methods.

I don’t train a Gracie Barra. I have dropped in at a few. They all have a structured system and you receive stripes and belts based on attendance. You are required to purchase the school uniforms and the schools are not allowed to teach anything but jiu jitsu.

Someone with more experience at GB school can correct or explain more.

For sure I agree about trying different schools. Its just this one is so convienient as I work literally around the corner from it! I can easily make the daily lunch classes, where other options farther away I will end up trainign much less.

I guess it might boil down to quantity of training vs quality of training.

Yeah I saw all his posts when I searched the forums for Professor Perierra/Gracie Barra.

I don't know why you are attacking him as all his posts seemed really nice and polite from what I remembered.

At any rate I don't want to derail my thread so lets just keep personal attacks out of it

You'll love it there.

For sure I agree about trying different schools. Its just this one is so convienient as I work literally around the corner from it! I can easily make the daily lunch classes, where other options farther away I will end up trainign much less.

I guess it might boil down to quantity of training vs quality of training.
Well you already know the answer to your question.

Hmmm ok thank you so much. I appreciate your honesty for sure! I'll still probably give it a try as having friendly people to train with is important to me.

Thanks again!!

You bet! Glad to help any way I can.

I feel a bit bad about what I said though. Like dogstsrman said GB promotes on attendance rather than skill which I thought sucked until I got gold in my first tournament and even tapped out another blue belt who i was told from Atos. I figure if I can even hang with one of Galvaos students where I train can't be THAT bad.

Listen... if you do decide to come in and try it I'll meet you there and be happy to help. I just don't want it to be known we talked online though because of what I said. Pm if you have questions!

Hello.

I created this account because I am interested in starting Jiu Jitsu training and have been researching various options in San Diego. Needless to say, there is a ton.

The closest one to my work is Professor Marcelo Perierra who teaches out of a Gracie Barra academy. In my short time here I see a ton of people really hating on Gracie Barra as a McDojo etc and so Im a bit hesitant. The location is convenient to me but I'm also lucky to live in San Diego where big names like Andre Galvao and Dean Lister teach, among many others.

I'm willing to drive a bit to get a good, legit BJJ instructor, but thought I would ask here first since people here are very knoweleadble.

Thank you for your any advice or help regarding Professor Perierra. Online reviews seem good but they could be unreliable sometimes

Thanks

Gracie Barra is definitely not a McDojo, but it is a very large affiliation with top-down rules that people sometimes complain about. I don't know where exactly you live and work, but San Diego is rich with high quality BJJ gyms, so a 15 minute drive may be well worth it if theres a better place. A casual google maps search shows that Atos HQ isn't too far.

Last edited:
Gracie Barra is definitely not a McDojo, but it is a very large affiliation with top-down rules that people sometimes complain about. I don't know where exactly you live and work, but San Diego is rich with high quality BJJ gyms, so a 15 minute drive may be well worth it if theres a better place. A casual google maps search shows that Atos HQ isn't too far.

I live in San Marcos but work in Sorrento Valley area where Professor Perierra teaches. My best time to train would be during my lunch because I can afford to take 2 hour lunch breaks :)

I saw the other topics about the Gracie barra rules. You mean having to buy their own clothing etc? Is it overpriced there? I obviously dont have any yet so I don't really care where I get my gi from

You bet! Glad to help any way I can.

I feel a bit bad about what I said though. Like dogstsrman said GB promotes on attendance rather than skill which I thought sucked until I got gold in my first tournament and even tapped out another blue belt who i was told from Atos. I figure if I can even hang with one of Galvaos students where I train can't be THAT bad.

Listen... if you do decide to come in and try it I'll meet you there and be happy to help. I just don't want it to be known we talked online though because of what I said. Pm if you have questions!

Thats awesome that you got gold!! check your inbox when you get a chance

Last edited:
Well you already know the answer to your question.

I guess so, but figured I would ask around to see if anyone knew of Professor Periera. I was able to find out he won a couple of Pan Ams and Worlds. Are those tournaments considered legit? I know about IBJJF and ADCC of course but not so much the other two but I'm kind of new to all of this.

I guess so, but figured I would ask around to see if anyone knew of Professor Periera. I was able to find out he won a couple of Pan Ams and Worlds. Are those tournaments considered legit? I know about IBJJF and ADCC of course but not so much the other two but I'm kind of new to all of this.
Gracie Barra is a legit jiu jitsu school. There is nothing wrong with training there. The issue I have is the rigidity.
You have to buy their gi, they have a set curriculum, which isn’t that big an isssue but that isn’t how jiu jitsu is played. Just go and learn I know you will have a good time there.

If it’s a gb school, kind of big.... you’ll probably get good instruction....it all depends on the instructor, but Tb has a good curriculum they must follow.

It is kind of mcdogish in the sense that it is a huge affiliation and have some strict rules, but the instruction should be good.

Kevin-Garnett-Reaction-at-2013-Dunk-Contest.gif

Back