Marcello Garcia Acadamy vs. Renzo Gracie Acadamy

Many interesting points here.

Here is how i see it so far. Renzo doesnt teach anymore or "once in a blue moon". He made many good grapplers so i would want to train under him as for his students teaching thats cool too but to pay that much id want Renzo, same with Rickson.

There are instructors out there that teach all their classes ( i.e. Jean Jacques) but few of world class caliber. It seems like the bigger you get the further from your students you fade.

On the other hand, Marcelo has made a name for himself but who knows how he is as a teacher. People should check him out and see how it goes. Check the price, distance and most important check if he will be teaching class, im sure he will since its a new school. Like in Zoolander... "Marcello is HOT right now", training with a man like him is a HUGE opportunity, he is in his prime and still competing! Im sure he will learn more english, but lets see what his prices are.

Its good to see him come to the US. Just giving you my UNbiased opinion.

Resendiz said:
Many interesting points here.

Here is how i see it so far. Renzo doesnt teach anymore or "once in a blue moon". He made many good grapplers so i would want to train under him as for his students teaching thats cool too but to pay that much id want Renzo, same with Rickson.

There are instructors out there that teach all their classes ( i.e. Jean Jacques) but few of world class caliber. It seems like the bigger you get the further from your students you fade.

On the other hand, Marcelo has made a name for himself but who knows how he is as a teacher. People should check him out and see how it goes. Check the price, distance and most important check if he will be teaching class, im sure he will since its a new school. Like in Zoolander... "Marcello is HOT right now", training with a man like him is a HUGE opportunity, he is in his prime and still competing! Im sure he will learn more english, but lets see what his prices are.

Its good to see him come to the US. Just giving you my UNbiased opinion.
Most informal post by far.

Soid said:
Right when I read this I said

who?

ryan hall, the guy who lloyd irvin is taking as a project and got like hundreds of wins with triangle choke alone i think

i saw his matches, he seriously tries to finish with triangles all the time

and his guard, especially his half guard is good as hell....

o yea, he is a blue belt, thats how why he popped up in my head

chdnny said:
ryan hall, the guy who lloyd irvin is taking as a project and got like hundreds of wins with triangle choke alone i think

i saw his matches, he seriously tries to finish with triangles all the time

and his guard, especially his half guard is good as hell....

o yea, he is a blue belt, thats how why he popped up in my head
Oh yeah he's nasty as hell. Infamousmattyd was being sarcastic though by calling me a great blue belt thoug hahha.

Soid said:
Oh yeah he's nasty as hell. Infamousmattyd was being sarcastic though by calling me a great blue belt thoug hahha.
o yea i know, but it just reminded me bro lol... he is sick though huh lol

i got a suspicion that lloyd is like keeping him away from promotions to stay sick in his blue belt category... hundreds of wins? he should have been at least purple by now....

Big Eck said:
How much is Renzo's per month?

Just curious..

It was $250 a month for unlimited when I went there.

Renzo still teaches. He enjoys teaching and jiujitsu is his life. At the moment you won't see him teach for the next 2 months at least since he only has Pat Miletich in his head.

chdnny said:
right when i saw this i thought of

Ryan Hall

he was produced by Renzo?....did he train at any other places in NYC by any chance?

well first off, Marcelo is not opening a new school he is training with Fabio at Fabio's School Studio X in the village. This is going to be waaay close to me once I move to brooklyn so theres a huge temptation to train there. At 181$ per month, its kinda crazy though on a tight budget but splitting my time between there and Jungle Gym in the Bronx should be great.

You cant argue with the results Renzo has recieved, he seems like an amazing teacher and his students are world class. Granted though, he attracts the best in the world because of his last name and his long standing competition record. Things are going to get shaken up in NYC in the next two weeks jiu jitsu wise because of Marcelo no doubt but I dont see many Renzo guys jumping ship or prices coming down. If anything its just going to drive prices up.

Marcelo vs. Renzo as a teacher though? I dont know, I cant speak for either of them but I did train with a Renzo purple for 6 months and his ground game for a 225lber was crazy smooth. No strength, no muscle and he could have pummled the hell out of me. IMO Renzo's expirence far outweighs Marcelo's competition victories and X Guard. Ryon, Renner and Roger are proving that as always the solid basics will beat the flashy new wave techniques.

2 additional points:

1) Marcelo Garcia's first name is "Marcelo" not "Marcello".

2) This is a great dilemma for you guys in NYC to have. Which world class BJJ guy do you want to train under? The way I see it... either way you guys win.

The most important factor is, is marcelo gonna teach classes regularly or travel to do seminars most the time, if thats th case renzo is the better bet...

retrostyle said:
You cant argue with the results Renzo has recieved, he seems like an amazing teacher and his students are world class. Granted though, he attracts the best in the world because of his last name and his long standing competition record. Things are going to get shaken up in NYC in the next two weeks jiu jitsu wise because of Marcelo no doubt but I dont see many Renzo guys jumping ship or prices coming down. If anything its just going to drive prices up.

IMO, to be good in anything requires more then
just having a good teacher. One also needs a good
environment. A good, conducive environment to
one's training requires(and not limited to) a good
teacher, students, facility, and overall vibe/attitude.
Renzo's got all that.

Like RetroStyle says, Renzo's is well acknowledged
not only because he's a Gracie, but his reputation
attracts serious students. The range of students in
size, skill/experience, and how they play their game,
pushes everyone to adapt to new challenges and improve.

Though Marcello is a great competitor, it'll take time
for him to build the environment and students that's
at Renzo's. His teachings can only take you so far;
without good training partners, your progress will be
slower.

Depending on prices, it may sway some students away
from Renzo's, thereby establishing a better foundation
for Marcello and his future students to work from.

IMO, people are pretty loyal to their school/instructor
unless they've only been training for a few months.
But then again -money talks.
We'll all have to see.

Soid said:
Infamousmattyd was being sarcastic though by calling me a great blue belt thoug hahha.

Damn right he was.

I second that motion.

Thing is if anyone been to Alliance in NYC, it is a small, real small space how are they gonna accomadate so many students, no matter what they are going to double there enrollment. I seen renzo's and they have a huge space and they still don't have enough space.

sweepsubmit said:
when and where exactly is marcelo's school opening?

Marcelo's school is never opening. He will be with fabio clemente though, who in the answer to someone else's question has been looking at matspace elsewhere in the city because Studio X is so small...Hes going to the matresses with Renzo!

I pay less for a year of traning than it cost for a month a Renzo´s

Back