Marcello Garcia Acadamy vs. Renzo Gracie Acadamy

zenshin

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I am curous to know everyone's opinion on Garcia opening his gym in NYC. Does anyone think that it will take students away from Renzo who had the lock on BJJ training in NYC for over 10 years? I barely train BJJ I alwaysed trained Muay Thai and now Kali, but with Marcello arrival to NYC I am considering training BJJ full-time at Alliance everyone sas he is a awesome instructor..

He is just starting out as an instructor. He is a great competitor, yes. We'll see how that translates into teaching. You'll need to give him some time to produce. Fabio Clemente has been around longer than Renzo and I can't name one student he's produced on par with the likes of Riacrdo Almeida, Rodrigo Gracie, Sean Alvarez, Amal Easton, or the Serra brothers. We'll have to wait and see.

Like I said I am considerng trying it out, but then again I always consider doing BJJ and then run back to my Muay Thai LOL!!!!

im a loyal renzo guy, but hopefully marcelo's place is a success and drives prices down...im goin broke trying to train in nyc.

You can't go wrong with Renzo Gracie. Renzo's a great guy and I believe the caliber of the students that he produces speaks for itself.

On the other hand, I've had several lessons with Marcelo (seminars + a private). He's an excellent teacher and nice guy. He's very technical and was genuinely concerned with my understanding of the techniques. My only reservation about Marcelo is his English. He struggles to find the correct word in English at times. However, this wasn't that big a hinderance as he was still able to get his point across by demonstrating what he meant.

man watching marcello fight inspires me so much.

just seeing a tiny guy like him beating a monster like ricco in adcc makes me wanna go drill stuff. he's absolutely amazing.

randomg1t said:
man watching marcello fight inspires me so much.

just seeing a tiny guy like him beating a monster like ricco in adcc makes me wanna go drill stuff. he's absolutely amazing.

This has happened to Ricco before in ADCC. Hayato Sakurai finished him in an absolute division match.

I've heard from people that have gone to his seminar and have had private lessons with him say that hes a great teacher and went into detail explaining the moves. I wonder how much hes going to charge per month.

Hopefully less than Renzo. Those prices are unbelievable.

I would go check it out if I lived in NYC. Either way, you get to train with a legend.

But, is Renzo always there to teach the classes? Dunno bout that one.

Some guys open up their own schools, get a blue/purple belt real quick and have them teach some of the classes. OR, they have another black belt and he'll teach a lot of the classes.

If I were you, I'd make sure Marcelo is going to stay there and hes going to be there to teach when its time for your classes...you should ask Marcelo when he opens a school

sakufan said:
This has happened to Ricco before in ADCC. Hayato Sakurai finished him in an absolute division match.
that wasn't exactly my point...

marcello came to adcc practically unknown and won the damn thing. i think shaolin has the best groundgame in mma and garcia made him his bitch in under a minute. he is wicked.

Renzo doesn't teach anymore. Well he does just every once in a blue moon. Igor Gracie, Rolles Gracie, Gordinho (World champ who gave Jacare a hell of a time in ADCC), Gregor Gracie, John Donaher (Trained GSP for his fight with BJ), Magno Gama (Brown Belt instructor and really a great teacher. Reminds me a lot like Saulo), Ze (probably one of the nicest people youll ever meet) teach there when Renzo isn't around. Plus there's a reason why Roger trains at Renzo's when preparing for ADCC. And look at the students Renzo Gracie Academy produces.

It's no wonder that Renzo Gracie Academy is probably the best scool in North America.

But of course the biggest issue is the price but you get what you pay for.

Soid said:
Renzo doesn't teach anymore. Well he does just every once in a blue moon. Igor Gracie, Rolles Gracie, Gordinho (World champ who gave Jacare a hell of a time in ADCC), Gregor Gracie, John Donaher (Trained GSP for his fight with BJ), Magno Gama (Brown Belt instructor and really a great teacher. Reminds me a lot like Saulo), Ze (probably one of the nicest people youll ever meet) teach there when Renzo isn't around. Plus there's a reason why Roger trains at Renzo's when preparing for ADCC. And look at the students Renzo Gracie Academy produces.

It's no wonder that Renzo Gracie Academy is probably the best scool in North America.

U train at Renzo's?

Soid said:

he has produced both you and I, two of the most kick ass blue belts the world has ever known

How much is Renzo's per month?

Just curious..

infamous mattyd said:
he has produced both you and I, two of the most kick ass blue belts the world has ever known

right when i saw this i thought of

Ryan Hall

Back