Marc Diakiese injured Teemu Packalen's knee with a sidekick to the kneecap - likely requires surgery

I remember when I posted the Rampage interview where he had doctors telling him that Jon Jones side kicks messed up his knee and he had to have surgery on it and everyone was saying he was just a whiner making it up, lol.

People don't believe him because he didn't start talking about Jones "crippling him" until like a year after the fight. There's also the fact that he claims just about every person or thing that he's ever interacted with has fucked him over somehow.

Anyway, this is how he was acting immediately after he'd allegedly just suffered a life-altering injury to his knees:

Not one fucking word about Jones injuring him. Since when is there a delayed reaction to a serious knee injury?

...and on the subject of "oblique kicks," there are far more injuries to the leg resulting from conventional kicks to the side of the leg. How come nobody ever complains about those?

the absolutely should be legal.

how about defend yourself. shit its a basic tenet of martial arts.

But kicking a guys legs can cause permanent damage so lets stop that right?

Guess what every single strike and many submissions have the potential to cause permanent long term damage of some sorts. where does it end if you start taking out techniques.

Why don't we make headbutts to the groin illegal next, since they might hurt.

It's hard to land that.

Anything that's easy to land AND easy to injure should be illegal. This is precisely why soccer kicks to the head, Eyepokes, groin shots are illegal. Headbutt to the groin is hard to do unless you're in a 69 position, in which case should be illegal.

Adlan Amagov wrecked Keith Berry's knee with the same technique in Strikeforce and Berry has been an advocate for banning the strike since. I find the technique fair and very effective personally.

2zso9yc.jpg

It's fair in the sense that both fighters can execute it if they choose, but it's bullshit considering careers may be cut short. I've never been a fan of it personally. I have a friend who blew his knee out when he was very young and still is not fully recovered.

It's fair in the sense that both fighters can execute it if they choose, but it's bullshit considering careers may be cut short. I've never been a fan of it personally. I have a friend who blew his knee out when he was very young and still is not fully recovered.

Human knees are fragile and not made for fighting (our bodies in general really are not compared to other animals). Like I said, it's more common an orbital bone fractures in the skull where fighters can't even fly home because the atmospheric pressure from the flight could kill them...than it is for knees to get injured from leg strikes. You can check the kick, block the kick, counter the kick, evade the kick and it's pretty unusual for a serious injury to occur from the strike itself, it requires great timing, accuracy and technique.

I have a different opinion, but I understand yours. oblique kicks and side kicks to your opponents lead leg is very effective, you can hyper extend and wreck the knee by striking the thigh or the leg just below the knee too, you don't have kick the knee itself ( it's a strike I've used a lot actually ). You can't really ban the kick itself either.

I dont like em, I'm not calling for them to be illegal - but I dont like seeing them, they do seem like a cheap shot.

Its an effective technique.

Are we going to ban any kind of leg lock because it can potentially hurt someone?

It will just water the sport down even further.

Never been a fan of Knee strikes. The knees are unfortunately fragile and it's fairly common for fighters to have multiple injuries to them throughout one's career. Allowing knee strikes make no sense. It's no different than gouging a persons eye in my book.

Some of you are saying it isn't prone to injury as broken bones are. While it may be true, knees aren't like bones tho. A broken bone can heal up over time to become good as new again, but a seriously injured knee will linger on for the rest of your life.

Imagine if Conor Mcgregor was kicked in the knee and had to retire young because of it. Fans would be pissed. It isn't a big deal right now because no high profile fighters have retired due to it.

Last edited:
If a kneebar is legal, a teep, sidekick or oblique kick to the knee or the lower thigh should be too. It's not easy to hyper-extend the knee and injure the leg with a kick, it's a very skillful technique.

By that logic a kick to the groin should be legal because it takes skill/accuracy to place your kick there.

The lower body generates the most force. It doesn't take that much to hurt someone's knee. The knee doesn't need to hyperextend to injure it. If it buckles from one of these kicks you can tear ligaments

By that logic a kick to the groin should be legal because it takes skill/accuracy to place your kick there.

The lower body generates the most force. It doesn't take that much to hurt someone's knee. The knee doesn't need to hyperextend to injure it. If it buckles from one of these kicks you can tear ligaments

I kinda like how in Muay Thai, wearing the steal cup kind of makes groin strikes a non issue. It's really hard to avoid accidentally striking someones groin so I feel we should do our best to mitigate that problem with steal cups, rather than penalizing it. Maybe blatant groin strikes can still be a problem, especially on the ground and can be banned still.

But no, the testicles and the knees are different body parts. Not the same logic.

More power to the guy who can use it right.

But if if you're gonna make those kicks illegal then leg submissions should be too.

Impressive distance control and switching of the stance by Diakiese. It's a matter of time when his skillset catches up to his athleticism.

Def sucks that it could tear a knee up but there's nothing you can do about it really.

This kind of kick isn't gonna decisively end a fight or bring any excitement , but there's a good chance it can have terrible consequences
on one's knees post fight.
There's a reason while it's banned from all striking sports but MMA.
Even in Savate which the leg chassé is the trademark technique, it's only allowed to strike in the thigh..

And the kneebar/knee submissions analogy isn't good because there is no chance to tap here..
IMO It's more like " if this is allowed ( a blatant street fight / self defense technique which aims to wreck a knee cap ) then street fighting / self defense techniques like groin shots should be allowed like in the early UFC's "

The benefit / risk ratio of allowing this isn't compelling either healthwise (for the fighters) or entertainmentwise (for the audience)

Having it legal is a very bad idea. Imagine you get a guy rocked against the cage and he can barely defend, then take a step back and cave in his knee in reverse and finish a guys career. Right now that is legal and could be done. Why not just allow checking a guys oil level? Where does it end? We can't lose our humanity for entertainment purposes.

This kind of kick isn't gonna decisively end a fight or bring any excitement , but there's a good chance it can have terrible consequences
on one's knees post fight.
There's a reason while it's banned from all striking sports but MMA.
Even in Savate which the leg chassé is the trademark technique, it's only allowed to strike in the thigh..

And the kneebar/knee submissions analogy isn't good because there is no chance to tap here..
IMO It's more like " if this is allowed ( a blatant street fight / self defense technique which aims to wreck a knee cap ) then street fighting / self defense techniques like groin shots should be allowed like in the early UFC's "

The benefit / risk ratio of allowing this isn't compelling either healthwise (for the fighters) or entertainmentwise (for the audience)
Basically just summed up my thoughts on the matter.

Its a legit technique. Fedor was doing it to Big Nog back in 2004.

Its no different than a knee bar or a heel hook. Both can devastate the knee.

It's hard to land that.

Anything that's easy to land AND easy to injure should be illegal. This is precisely why soccer kicks to the head, Eyepokes, groin shots are illegal. Headbutt to the groin is hard to do unless you're in a 69 position, in which case should be illegal.
We'll have to let Hendricks settle the debate on whether they're hard to land.

But hopefully I made my post before someone suggested banning punches to the head.

Having it legal is a very bad idea. Imagine you get a guy rocked against the cage and he can barely defend, then take a step back and cave in his knee in reverse and finish a guys career. Right now that is legal and could be done. Why not just allow checking a guys oil level? Where does it end? We can't lose our humanity for entertainment purposes.
Wait! Are you trying to say it's not human to check a guy's oil?!
How dare you, sir?

Truthfully, I don't think anyone's opinion ever changes in these debates. The pro gay people stay - excuse me... the people who are into the kicks make the same arguments everytime, no matter what's been said. Although, even some fighters have spoken out about it.

Orbital bones break from knees more often than knees getting damaged from kicks.

Terrible example. A broken orbital bone will heal with rest. The cells in the bone will regenerate and your orbital will be 100% again.

Knee cartillage doesnt magically heal with rest and Robitussin. Once your zhit is torn, its torn. You cant get it back. A minor injury you might be able to have arthroscopy to repair it, but something major will take a year or more to heal and even then wont heal 100%. Should an MMA fighter making 10k per fight have to take a year off because his opponent is dirty? And even after a year its never the same because cartillage doesnt heal like bone does.

This is a fight and these fighters are perfectly able to defend against the strike.

You can also defend someone trying to rip your scrotum off with their hand. So why isnt that technique legal?

Never been a fan of the technique. Hyperextending knees isn't fun at all. An injured knee will honestly never never be the same again, and your legs are sort of essential in MMA.

Back