Manual Transmission Issue (Mechanic Brahs GTFIH)

BEER

Platinum Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2001 VW Jetta GLS. (inb4 "you sound poor")

Yesterday, when I was driving, all of the sudden, I couldn't "find" first gear. Shifting into the first gear position would put my car in third. It took me about 30 seconds to realize that I would have to put my shifter in the reverse position to find first gear. On my car, that means pushing in the shift knob and moving it further to the left. I have to wrestle the shifter to put it in reverse now.

Hopefully this formats correctly.

Normal:

R-1-3-5
---2-4---

Now:

R/1-3-3-5
------2-4--

I tried using my Google Fu to figure out how that happened, and didn't find anything. I didn't feel anything "break", and it happened suddenly. I haven't had any issues with "finding" first gear, and suddenly at a stop light, I stalled on green when it ended up in third instead of first.

Mechanic brahs, wtf is going on?

(Also, been driving standard for 12+ years; Not a user error)

clutch is gone.

How would a clutch issue change the gear positioning?

Edit: Real question. I'm actually getting the clutch and flywheel replaced next week. I haven't had any issues, but I'm doing so as a preventative measure. Nearly 180k on the original factory clutch.

I have no issues with the clutch engaging any of the gears. The physical positioning of first gear just suddenly jumped.

its not engaging correctly,if its not that,then the gear box is fucked and thats expensive.

its not engaging correctly,if its not that,then the gear box is fucked and thats expensive.

I'm no mechanic, but the clutch seems to be working just fine. No grinding or slipping in any gear at all.

Considering "first" position puts you into third, I would assume there's an issue with the shift linkage or linkages. If that's the case, this video might be of some help to you.

Considering "first" position puts you into third, I would assume there's an issue with the shift linkage or linkages. If that's the case, this video might be of some help to you.

From this video it appears that they have a mickey mouse plastic cable connector that might have slipped or the cable might have failed. It might be wise to replace the cables. It also appears that the internal parts of the shifter are plastic and could be worn out.

The bushings on the transmission could also be worn out.
Here's a bad video showing those.

There are also videos showing the shifter which comes out the bottom.

Thanks. That seems fairly simple. I can probably get the mechanic to make the adjustment when they pull the transmission next week.

Yep....shift bushings.

Do yourself a favor and replace them at the transmission and in the shifter itself before spending money on anything else.

Linkages or bushings is my guess. Do a quick google search and see if its a common issue

If the bushings and cable don't work, look at the reverse lockout mechanism next.

Yep....shift bushings.

Do yourself a favor and replace them at the transmission and in the shifter itself before spending money on anything else.

Linkages or bushings is my guess. Do a quick google search and see if its a common issue

If the bushings and cable don't work, look at the reverse lockout mechanism next.

Thanks guys. I'll have them work on that when they're replacing the clutch and flywheel, so I don't pay a ton in labor down the road.

This is getting expensive, haha.

I've diagnosed the automobile's mechanical issue: you are poor

Try getting a car from this decade and see if the issue persists

<DisgustingHHH>

Just kidding, jettas are good cars.
Keep it as long as you can

Got nearly 200k miles, I drive it roughly 100 miles a day, and it's barely needed any work until now. I'm in no rush to get rid of it.

Got nearly 200k miles, I drive it roughly 100 miles a day, and it's barely needed any work until now. I'm in no rush to get rid of it.

Yeah one of my workers has a 98? Maybe (body style before yours) TDI, and has close to 800k.
He replaced the engine & transmission from a scrap yard over the weekend, then had his origional overhauled. When the scrap yard engine went out, he instaled the original engine/tranny back on.

Maybe thats an option for you as well?

Back