Manny Pacquiao says he is in talks to fight Lomachenko on April on ESPN

TidWell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Finally a passing the torch fight, if it gets made

Loma vs Floyd ... Thats the fight everyone wants to see.

This will have to be at 140 from what Roach said a while back. He doesn't want Pac drained, which is understandable, unless Pac can do something like a 138 catch (Pac said he can still make 135 but he hasn't competed at that weight in forever). I think 140 is fair if this fight is made. Pac-Horn did 4.4 million viewers on ESPN IIRC and Loma-Rigo did 1.73 million (average) and peaked at 2.1 million. Pac-Loma would do high numbers. Nobody had really heard of Horn and him and Manny still did 4.4 million viewers which is quite impressive.

What are your thoughts? Pac is too old now (washed up) or too much for Loma if they fought at say 140?

Well, Pac just got roughed up by a glorified pub brawler (I don't disrespect Horn as I think he deserved the close win, BTW). He's a legend but he's got to earn something looking like a superfight.

Furthermore, to me it's a lose-lose situation. If Loma wins then Pac slides into the late RJJ category. I love the guy and I don't want to see it happening. If Pac wins, it's not a good thing for the future of this sport.

Just my opinion, though.

Well, Pac just got roughed up by a glorified pub brawler (I don't disrespect Horn as I think he deserved the close win, BTW). He's a legend but he's got to earn something looking like a superfight.

Furthermore, to me it's a lose-lose situation. If Loma wins then Pac slides into the late RJJ category. I love the guy and I don't want to see it happening. If Pac wins, it's not a good thing for the future of this sport.

Just my opinion, though.

Yeah, he did get roughed up but Horn is a guy that said he could fight at 154 without an issue. Horn's size, durability and grit saw him through that one in a fight most believed he shouldn't have won on the cards. He made it a competitive fight and had far more reach, height and size than Pac. At 140 I believe Pac could still be formidable. He would beat the brakes off Lipinets (who's still largely a prospect) and some of the other top guys there. Pac is the A-side here but since Loma & Pac are both with Top Rank the only thing he'd have going for him there would be the payday in that regard. What Arum did to Pac with Horn was wrong. Pac felt he was setup and I believe that he was. Still, that was at Welterweight.

If Pac wins then I agree it wouldn't be good for the future of the sport. He's too old now and doesn't have much left. That and his political stuff is in the way of his boxing career. He wanted to fight McGregor last I heard. McGregor wants that fight in the Spring. That's a fight I wouldn't want to see. Against Loma, Pac would risk being outboxed and potentially look bad, or, he could land his left hand and potentially change that with one punch. Pac did almost finish Horn in the 10th round IIRC, so, the element of danger is still there despite him being a shell of his former self. Pac won't quit if things aren't going his way and he still can take a punch from much larger guys than Loma. His speed has diminished, his reflexes too, but his power, work rate and durability is still enough to potentially trouble Loma. That's just how I see it.

Yeah, he did get roughed up but Horn is a guy that said he could fight at 154 without an issue. Horn's size, durability and grit saw him through that one in a fight most believed he shouldn't have won on the cards. He made it a competitive fight and had far more reach, height and size than Pac. At 140 I believe Pac could still be formidable. He would beat the brakes off Lipinets (who's still largely a prospect) and some of the other top guys there. Pac is the A-side here but since Loma & Pac are both with Top Rank the only thing he'd have going for him there would be the payday in that regard. What Arum did to Pac with Horn was wrong. Pac felt he was setup and I believe that he was. Still, that was at Welterweight.

If Pac wins then I agree it wouldn't be good for the future of the sport. He's too old now and doesn't have much left. That and his political stuff is in the way of his boxing career. He wanted to fight McGregor last I heard. McGregor wants that fight in the Spring. That's a fight I wouldn't want to see. Against Loma, Pac would risk being outboxed and potentially look bad, or, he could land his left hand and potentially change that with one punch. Pac did almost finish Horn in the 10th round IIRC, so, the element of danger is still there despite him being a shell of his former self. Pac won't quit if things aren't going his way and he still can take a punch from much larger guys than Loma. His speed has diminished, his reflexes too, but his power, work rate and durability is still enough to potentially trouble Loma. That's just how I see it.

Well, I agree with you on the breakdown : Pac is over the hill, but he does have a few assets left at 140 that could cause trouble to a smaller man. I just don't like this fight. If Pac just needs money let him fight McGregor in another farce. I don't think a Loma fight is good for boxing. A McGregor fight is OK for the circus business, I guess.

He doesn't want Pac drained, which is understandable, unless Pac can do something like a 138 catch (Pac said he can still make 135 but he hasn't competed at that weight in forever). I think 140 is fair if this fight is made.
Was it fair when Pacquiao fought Oscar at a catchweight of 145lbs? A guy that had been fighting at 160lbs?

Is this a serious story or is mr makes shit threads a lot looking for clicks? I’d rather see manny fight fat dan for first rights at the buffet

Should turn Lomanchenko into a star and test him at a weight he will need to be at to fight Garcia and Crawford,

This has actually been talked about for a while. Arum mentioned a while back that he wanted Loma to jump to LW, face Flanagan, then jump to WW to face Pac.

I certainly hope it doesn't happen though, this is stupid and I hate this new trend of fighters going up several weight classes to face a guy much bigger than them. I'd rather Pac face Ponomarev or even Mike fucking Alvarado, I hate that he's going to be used to pass the torch to a guy who likely won't even stay at 147.

Would be interesting at 140. Loma definitely the favorite but I would never count Pacman out.

At least Pac isn't likely to get beat up too bad in this fight because Loma isn't a very good puncher, especially at 140.

Better than him getting brutalized by Crawford.

Back