Manny/Khan deal dead says Arum.

Diamond Jim

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

Top Rank promoter Bob Arum spent considerable time putting together a deal for welterweight titleholder Manny Pacquiao to defend his belt against Australia's Jeff Horn in April in Brisbane, Australia, but Pacquiao decided it wasn't for him.

Instead, Pacquiao went chasing after a supposed $38 million pot of gold being dangled by an unnamed investment group that wanted to bring him to the United Arab Emirates to fight former unified junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan in late April.

Arum was skeptical from the get-go that the UAE deal was real and made his position known, but it did not stop Pacquiao and adviser Michael Koncz from pursuing it, and it did not stop Pacquiao and Khan from announcing via social media over a week ago that they had agreed to fight each other (depending, of course, on the cash being in place).

But on Tuesday Arum told ESPN that the UAE deal for Pacquiao-Khan was dead, that Pacquiao won't face Khan next and that Koncz was on his way back to the Philippines to tell Pacquiao that the $38 million was nothing but a fantasy.

"Michael is on his way back to meet with Manny but it's kaddish for the UAE deal. It's dead," Arum said. "I'm talking to him about another proposal for another fight, not Khan. Khan won't be Manny's next opponent."

Arum declined to elaborate on the fight or deal he was proposing to the 38-year-old Pacquiao (59-6-2, 38 KOs), boxing's only eight-division world titleholder, because he wanted Koncz to have a chance to discuss it with Pacquiao and explore it first before he made it public.

Arum had said from the beginning of the UAE dance that April was probably out anyway because time was running short. There had been a discussion between Arum and Koncz about late May but that never went anywhere. And then Arum said Tuesday that if the investment group in the UAE could come up with the money perhaps a fight with Khan (31-4, 19 KOs), 30, of England, could still happen there in November.

"UAE would not happen until November, if it happens at all, but I doubt it will," Arum said, noting that doing the fight in late June or July, after the Muslim holy month of Ramadan - which was proposed - was also not possible because it would have taken place at an outdoor stadium and it would be far too hot in the desert during the summer.

Arum said he expects Pacquiao to fight elsewhere in June or July, depending on the schedule of the senate in the Philippines, where Pacquiao serves.

Would love to see Pac vs Brook

haha lol at Khan.

ostrich-head.jpg

first his wife makes him look like a twat...now this

good job Khan

Lol at Khan. Lol'ing at Khan is always fun.

Pac/Thurman unification on CBS?

I can't see Manny doing cable and Thurman too big of a risk. I think Broner might be the only ppv fight that could sell decently and by decently I mean better than Khan.

Last edited:
God Pac has become an annoying cunt. First turns down Crawford cause he wants a 20mil, then signs to fight some bum for much much less, then suddenly cancels Khan fight cause he felt he deserves as much millions as his age number in years 38... He must think he's the only reason his fight with Floyd sold like it did...

Will PAC do a non ppv fight ? Would Thurman business wise agree to not do a potential high payday and do non ppv

Khan haters getting ahead of themselves. The fight can still happen. Arum has a history of denying match-ups until the very last minute. Pac certainly isn't showing any interest to fight Horn, and there's no money to be made there.

If a fight can't be made in the UAE, it can still be made in the UK. It would be bigger than Khan vs Brook, who wouldn't want to pay to attend a Manny fight? Not like UK fans get to see him often. It would do big attendance gate.

Khan haters getting ahead of themselves. The fight can still happen. Arum has a history of denying match-ups until the very last minute. Pac certainly isn't showing any interest to fight Horn, and there's no money to be made there.

I dunno about the $$ bit, as I'm sure a stadium fight in Australia would be a big event for the country. Though I will say from a competitive match making/interest bit Pac-Horn does nothing for me.

**With the April fight date gone, I don't get why they at least didn't try the middle of May, announcing a fight in late Feb doesn't give you much time for an April PPV ... where if it was in May, and held 2 weeks after Chavez-Canelo would feasibly leave enough time to build up a fight

oh well.

I dunno about the $$ bit, as I'm sure a stadium fight in Australia would be a big event for the country. Though I will say from a competitive match making/interest bit Pac-Horn does nothing for me.

**With the April fight date gone, I don't get why they at least didn't try the middle of May, announcing a fight in late Feb doesn't give you much time for an April PPV ... where if it was in May, and held 2 weeks after Chavez-Canelo would feasibly leave enough time to build up a fight

oh well.

A stadium is good, but a stadium in the UK is even better. A high level fight can do upwards of 50k in attendance over there. Just look at the Klitchko-Joshua fight, doing over 90k attendance.

In this case, Khan hasn't fought in his homeland in years (UK also has a big Pakistani/South-Asian audience), and Manny is a legend of the sport. It would do huge numbers, and would attract big sponsors.

A Jeff Horn fight would struggle in PPV in the US, which is why Arum is thinking of putting on that 3 title-fight undercard with Mexican boxers. And wouldn't do much in sponsorship or gate in OZ as the UK.

Edit:
http://www.boxingscene.com/arum-i-no-choice-take-april-22-card-pay-per-view--114357

So apparently that undercard is going to be its own event, on PPV. So now the Jeff Horn fight really is going to be a flop. HBO didn't want to buy it either, so my best guess is Arum plans to sabotage the Khan-Pac fight to force Pac to main event his garbage April card that even HBO passed on. That way he can turn it around.

Last edited:
Arum has completely lost it.

Couldn't work out I don't think.
Thurman made $2m for his fight with Garcia.
Pacquiao made $4m before ppv points. Which couldn't be much for his fight with Vargas.
For a fight like this, both fighters would want higher paydays. Thurmans gonna want $4m at least. Pacquiao is gonna demand $10-20m.
You would have to have Garcia-Broner or Broner-Khan on the undercard. And they make $1m- $2m each.

You'd need some hefty sponsors and expensive time ads.

Averages 11.5m viewers. Peaks at 22.4m.

God Pac has become an annoying cunt. First turns down Crawford cause he wants a 20mil, then signs to fight some bum for much much less, then suddenly cancels Khan fight cause he felt he deserves as much millions as his age number in years 38... He must think he's the only reason his fight with Floyd sold like it did...
Umm it actually sounds like this phantom UAE Group didn't come up with ANY money to put on the fight.
Arum has completely lost it.
What do you mean, how so?
------------------------------------------
Fucking hilarious, all someone has to do is throw around the phrase, "A Dubai Investment Group" and everyobody starts looking up waiting for gold to start falling from the sky.....Guys, I said it before in the past when talk about a May - Pac fight in Dubai was floating around. Aint shit enterprising gonna happen in the UAE. Sure if they were to put up the money, how are they really gonna get solid return on their investment over there? You cant sell alcohol in public areas, you sure as hell cant gamble, and culturally nobody cares about Khan (he's Pakistani) nor Boxing. And who is gonna buy $300+ tickets to go? Everybody out there aint rich. Oh and the time zone difference for a PPV would be disastrous.
I think they (whomever they are) figured that out and pulled out. Its all smoke and mirrors. The whole, "Dubai is great" story is a marketing campaign to bring tourists. The State builds a bunch of cool buildings and everybody goes gaga. But they don't have the money they've led people to believe they have. Boxing is Vegas, where the betting happens, or New York when its a hometown guy...

Thats why you dont announce anything on twitter until you actually have a deal signed on paper. Manny got jobbed by some guys that had a cute story to tell. Pacman needs to stay off social media and let his promoter handle the deals.

Last edited:
Arum beeing Arum.. lets see if Manny got some balls

Back