Manchester By The Sea

i figure if it makes me emotional, its a pretty good film
didnt enjoy it much cuz it was sad, but it was well done
good acting

Underrated.

Compared to MY life, Manchester by the Sea was uplifting and exhilarating.

It gave me hope.

Q240ld3.gif

Yeah this was a phenomenal film. Very narrative driven and those can be boring sometimes, but i enjoyed every minute of this.

Overrated. The film make you depressed and lonely.

I agree with you on this one.

I just finished it and feel like it was well-made--well directed, well acted, nicely photographed, all that shit--but goddamn was it slow. And such a fucking downer. Frankly, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I've seen six of the nine best picture nominees this year and it easily falls at the bottom of that list.

I just finished it and feel like it was well-made--well directed, well acted, nicely photographed, all that shit--but goddamn was it slow. And such a fucking downer. Frankly, I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I've seen six of the nine best picture nominees this year and it easily falls at the bottom of that list.

Casey turned in an excellent performance but boy was it painfully slow and depressing.

Saw it the other day.

Damn, what a solid movie to see. But yeah, deeply disturbing at times, i made a mistake of watching it before going to sleep and could not get it past my head. I had to watch a sitcom
just to take the images of dead kids and them coping with it out of my head. With kids now in my life, i take those moments to heart.

Whoever said in this thread that it felt like real people saying real lines nailed it.

I thought it was great. Very powerful. That scene where
He bumps into his ex wife and she tries to open up to him, that was so real. All that grief bottled up and their different ways of trying to cope.

I cried like a baby to that scene. Like. A. Baby. Not even ashamed to admit it. Fortunately, no one was around me to see it.

When she uttered that her heart was broken, i felt devastated. I don't remember a scene in any movie where a character said their heart was broken and that I believed it, but this one. Oh, man. Michelle Williams as supporting actor/actress of the decade IMO, just for that one scene.

Also, Affleck saying "i can't beat it. Sorry." to the kid. Seems like such a stupid line, but it says so so much. He wants to be there for him, he knows the kid needs him, but it's just stronger than him, and understandably so.

If Michelle Williams doesn't win Best Supporting Actress for this there is no justice in the world. Viola Davis is the only alternative I could reasonably tolerate, but Michelle takes it for me, and I'm an enormous fan of the play Fences and Viola Davis.

She broke my fucking heart in that final scene.

My brief post from http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/discuss-and-rate-the-last-movie-you-saw.3381375/page-31

Me and the Mrs finally got around to watch Manchester by the Sea.

Easily a 9/10 for me. Best movie I've seen this year so far hands down.

What a great movie. She cried like every 10 mins. And I'll admit being a father of 2 and a new little one on the way the police station scene got me...

I thought it was great. Very powerful. That scene where
He bumps into his ex wife and she tries to open up to him, that was so real. All that grief bottled up and their different ways of trying to cope.

The Mrs balled at this part, I agree it was so real and well done.

When the movie ended the wife looked at me like WTF I thought things would get better.
Great acting all around it felt like real conversations not actors acting not gonna lie I teared up a couple of times.

Well it did not end in a tragedy.

He's turned out to be fantastic.

Check out Gone Baby Gone.

The performance that turned me around was Assassination of Jesse James, but that's probably not for you, he was mumbly as fuck in that. He played a shifty coward.

Affleck over acted in Gone baby Gone especially at the end. That speech was cringe worthy.

Affleck over acted in Gone baby Gone especially at the end. That speech was cringe worthy.
No, he didn't, and no it wasn't.

He gave two of the finest leading performances in film history that year: including that one. He was magnificent.

Exactly. The performances by Affleck and Williams were phenomenal, I'll admit.

Not only was it depressing AF, but I got tired of listening to that mouthy kid.

Back