Man refuses to pay taxes because he opposes abortions. He just beat the feds in court

Michael Bowman, a 53-year-old self-employed computer software developer from Columbia City, Oregon, hasn’t paid his federal income taxes since 1999. He says it’s because his Christian ideals don’t allow him to pay into a system that funds abortions.

In a YouTube video explainer of his defense, he likened paying taxes that then go toward funding abortions to German citizens under Nazi rule who outed Jewish citizens, sending them to their deaths. And according to The Associated Press, he beat the feds in court this week.

To be clear, Bowman won the battle, not the war he’s fighting with the IRS and the Oregon U.S. District Court, when federal Judge Michael W. Mosman dismissed a felony tax evasion

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article208905159.html

He beat a felony charge of hiding money from the IRS - he still owes them the money. From your article it appears that they had been seizing funds from his account since at least 2014.

Michael Bowman, a 53-year-old self-employed computer software developer from Columbia City, Oregon, hasn’t paid his federal income taxes since 1999. He says it’s because his Christian ideals don’t allow him to pay into a system that funds abortions.

In a YouTube video explainer of his defense, he likened paying taxes that then go toward funding abortions to German citizens under Nazi rule who outed Jewish citizens, sending them to their deaths. And according to The Associated Press, he beat the feds in court this week.

To be clear, Bowman won the battle, not the war he’s fighting with the IRS and the Oregon U.S. District Court, when federal Judge Michael W. Mosman dismissed a felony tax evasion

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article208905159.html

Ok, we'll give people that don't like abortions a 0.1% annual tax deduction so their money doesn't go to fund abortions.

We'll still use the other 99.9% to pay for nukes and corporate subsidies tho.

I mean in theory, he didn't win as much as he is still free continuing to earn wages they can later tax

LIke when you owe the military a large sum of money, rather than kick you out and just garnish your tax returns, they typically keep you in and take half pay for a period till that money is recouped

Should the Amish be exempt from income tax? Should they be made to pay for infrastructure they don't believe in? What if we're actively engaged in a military conflict and someone is religiously opposed to killing? Should they not have to contribute to the defense budget?

At some point, our elected officials are going to do something we don't agree with. Dems the breaks. The way to change it is by getting the votes to change it.

"I should have tried that." Al Capone

th
th
th

He is being ridiculous. It would be one thing if he was being told by the government that he has to directly donate to an abortion clinic or pay for insurance that covers abortion for employees. But with taxes the level of responsibility is so indirect and thin that it's unreasonable to count it. It's like claiming that paying your taxes for roads makes you responsible for drunk driving deaths.

DUI checkpoints are a violation of 5th amendment rights. So are the stupid "red light cameras" We have the right to be idiots.

I never made a comment. I am not the author of the article.

This was the title of the article not mine I just put Man instead of He

He refuses to pay taxes because he opposes abortions. He just beat the feds in court

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article208905159.html#storylink=cpy

The article's title is misleading bullshit that puts together two sentences completely unrelated to each other in a way that dishonestly implies causality.

You either posted the link and copied the title without reading the article or you intentionally decided to use the same dishonest misleading title.

Which one is it?

His freelance work must be slim to none if he was that bothered by taxes.

The article's title is misleading bullshit that puts together two sentences completely unrelated to each other in a way that dishonestly implies causality.

You either posted the link and copied the title without reading the article or you intentionally decided to use the same dishonest misleading title.

Which one is it?

source.gif

I will find something I disagree with politically and refuse to pay my federal taxes.

Back