Man refuses to pay taxes because he opposes abortions. He just beat the feds in court

There is no way he could possibly win because it is literally the opposite of a Representative democracy. Literally nobody would pay taxes because the government does something that everyone dislikes.

Yea it appears this is a scam. I consider myself to be a Libertarian but I cant stand the anarchists who give us a bad name by claiming to be Libertarian while essentially wanting no government. Libertarianism is about limited government not no government.

I hate taxes and I pay way too much in my degrading country but for fuck sake we need hospitals, schools, roads, and a bit of a safety net.

You're giving libertarianism a bad name by advocating a government while still pretending to believe in the philosophy.

Is that the same though? Defense is a necessity. Abortion is almost always a form of birth control.

Do you know anyone that doesn't want a service that helps defend them? Most everyone just wants to pull security themselves?

Honestly, anyone who tolerates this, whether based on abortion or on leftist causes like war protest or opposition to the death pentalty, etc., is too stupid to deserve to live in a civil society with functioning government.

It's the only argument against abortion I support. If tax payers dollars go towards abortion as a method of generic birth control than it's not fair to force people to pay if it's against their beliefs.

This is idiotic. This reasoning can be imputed ad infinitum and making having a society impossible.

What if you're against foreign intervention?
Against tax breaks for churches?
Against the death penalty?
Against affirmative action?
Against public funding for faith-based services?
Against public funding for drug rehab?
Against green energy infrastructure?

Every single fucking citizen could say "I'm not paying taxes, because I'm morally opposed to XYZ."

Sure, if defense was only spent on defense you would have a point.

I always wondered where all that defense money went to even when I was in. Seemed like we never saw any of it.

I am responding in kind. I am expressing my opinion, based on my own moral values, just as was the author of the post to which I was replying.
The opinions you express do not leave you any room to be wrong, which is also the arrogance of absolute certainty. Sounds like you have no idea what I’m talking about. Let’s just say you’re setting yourself up for perpetual failure.

Michael Bowman, a 53-year-old self-employed computer software developer from Columbia City, Oregon, hasn’t paid his federal income taxes since 1999. He says it’s because his Christian ideals don’t allow him to pay into a system that funds abortions.

In a YouTube video explainer of his defense, he likened paying taxes that then go toward funding abortions to German citizens under Nazi rule who outed Jewish citizens, sending them to their deaths. And according to The Associated Press, he beat the feds in court this week.

To be clear, Bowman won the battle, not the war he’s fighting with the IRS and the Oregon U.S. District Court, when federal Judge Michael W. Mosman dismissed a felony tax evasion

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article208905159.html

You're fundmentally misreading your article. The judge ruled on felony tax evasion. Meaning, the defendant didn't knowingly (with his wacky religious poli-sci beliefs) attempt to evade taxes.

It does not mean that you can object to paying taxes on religious grounds. You can't, and that has plenty of SC precedent.

Was with you til the computer. Computers are part of Satan's plan to keep man addicted and weak. This is no Christian just another huckster and two-bit charlatan trying to get something for free.

Cant tell if serious Sidious.

You're fundmentally misreading your article. The judge ruled on felony tax evasion. Meaning, the defendant didn't knowingly (with his wacky religious poli-sci beliefs) attempt to evade taxes.

It does not mean that you can object to paying taxes on religious grounds. You can't, and that has plenty of SC precedent.

I never made a comment. I am not the author of the article.

This was the title of the article not mine I just put Man instead of He

He refuses to pay taxes because he opposes abortions. He just beat the feds in court

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/nation-world/national/article208905159.html#storylink=cpy

LOL I call Libertarians "right-winged anarchist".

They're really not, though. At least most of them. That would be anarcho-capitalists, who are every bit as stupid and unprincipled, but generally have at least some half-baked ideological underpinnings or one-sided analyses at their disposal.

This would be like saying that a person got out of a DUI because they hate trump, when in actuality they passed a breathalyzer. His moronic ideas to excuse tax evasion had nothing to do with the fact that his conduct in cashing checks wasnt criminal. Hes still going to pay one way or another.

Well no more use of public roads, utilities or institutions for that dumbass.

If only there was a way to cut him off from all taxpayer funded stuff. He's being cheap and letting everyone else subsidize shit he benefits from. Let him go live in North Korea or Russia.

FFS, people need to learn about the Hyde Amendment before arguing that their tax dollars go towards abortions. They don't except in cases of rape, incest, or the woman's life is at risk.

Can you imagine the BLM people trying to get away with this.
"We don't want to fund a system that finances the police, so we refuse to pay taxes."

Hell of a precedent if it establishes one and holds. I'd get out of taxes via "I don't support the bombing of Syria with missiles bought with taxpayer money" at the moment

Back