Man.. I feel like BJJ might not be for me.

ColorPurps

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I feel like I've plateau for the last few months. I've been doing BJJ for about 8-9 months. for the first few months, I only did beginner's no gi for 2x a week. then, added a mixed level no gi on sundays. Eventually, I added another mixed-level no-gi then 2 more beginner's gi. Been doing beginner gi for like 12 classes. Feels like everyone is passing me.

I struggle with stronger opponents even when they have less technique and especially stronger bigger opponents. And I still have a weak guard, no half guard game, and don't know how to approach people who play half guard right away. (From what I've notice)

I think I am going to add more mixed-level gi classes since I can buy more gis soon and hopefully this will help me with improving. but I've been really discouraged due to guys whos more inexperience beating me.

Any advice? Also, I am 5'9ft and 209-212lbs.

Stick with it. It’s a tough sport. You also learn different things from different instructors.

You could at least try a different legit instructor before giving up on it.

Stick with it. It’s a tough sport. You also learn different things from different instructors.

You could at least try a different legit instructor before giving up on it.
Maybe i need to go to a legit school or something, because right now, I am attending an MMA school. Also, how the hell do i check for updates on this post? didn't receive any notifications. had to check the new posts under grappling technique.

everybody reading this is silently nodding in remembrance of when they were going through the same thing you are. spoiler: figuring out how to solve these impossible problems is why people often describe this sport as "life-changing."

everybody reading this is silently nodding in remembrance of when they were going through the same thing you are. spoiler: figuring out how to solve these impossible problems is why people often describe this sport as "life-changing."
Hopefully, I could solve my problems by attending more mixed-level gi classes. my last resort will be changing schools. then if that doesn't work, maybe bjj isn't for me lol

Hopefully, I could solve my problems by attending more mixed-level gi classes. my last resort will be changing schools. then if that doesn't work, maybe bjj isn't for me lol

i don't know where you train, and you're welcome to send me a PM if you don't want to say it publicly, but i wouldn't get too hung up on the minutiae of what classes you're taking. bottom line is that you will get better with experience, and, gradually, your problems will seem less like a blur and more a matter of specific technical and/or strategic flaws.

I feel like I've plateau for the last few months. I've been doing BJJ for about 8-9 months. for the first few months, I only did beginner's no gi for 2x a week. then, added a mixed level no gi on sundays. Eventually, I added another mixed-level no-gi then 2 more beginner's gi. Been doing beginner gi for like 12 classes. Feels like everyone is passing me.

I struggle with stronger opponents even when they have less technique and especially stronger bigger opponents. And I still have a weak guard, no half guard game, and don't know how to approach people who play half guard right away. (From what I've notice)

I think I am going to add more mixed-level gi classes since I can buy more gis soon and hopefully this will help me with improving. but I've been really discouraged due to guys whos more inexperience beating me.

You are doing fine.

Actually going to the mixed level classes might not be so good for you as you are getting strung up on not feeling like you are not progressing.

I would stick with more beginner class and enjoy it more.

I have this feeling that you do not get lot of newbies to roll with and therefore you don't feel like you are progressing.

For example, in my club the last intake of newbies were last 8 months ago so the "newbies" that have been training for 6 months or so have not had the chance to try out their new skills on total brginners which can be demoralising because they are the bottom feeders.

You are doing fine.

Actually going to the mixed level classes might not be so good for you as you are getting strung up on not feeling like you are not progressing.

I would stick with more beginner class and enjoy it more.

I have this feeling that you do not get lot of newbies to roll with and therefore you don't feel like you are progressing.

For example, in my club the last intake of newbies were last 8 months ago so the "newbies" that have been training for 6 months or so have not had the chance to try out their new skills on total brginners which can be demoralising because they are the bottom feeders.

I feel like the mixed-level no gi is beneficial, because the higher belts usually give out tips/advice when they keep catching me

I feel like the mixed-level no gi is beneficial, because the higher belts usually give out tips/advice when they keep catching me

Yeah but you really need to submit some of the newbies and then you will feel better about yourself.

Last edited:
Yeah but you really need to submit some of the newbies and then you will better about yourself.

I don't think i'll stop going to the beginner gi classes, but I get what you're saying. Joe Rogan and other BJJ Black Belts said that you work offense on new people/inexperience and defense on higher belts lol

I struggle with stronger opponents even when they have less technique and especially stronger bigger opponents.

For what's it worth the beginner techniques at our school don't really work on stronger people.

dude don't give up ez. You should listen to the Stephen Kiesting podcast he mentioned about 1 bjj world class champion that he himself said (I forgot his name) that he was average and slow at developing his skills on the mat and many of his peers overtakes him and advances their skill way way faster than him, but he kept going at it for a long time and suddenly 1 day everything clicks , then he's able to submit opponents left and right

And do you know the story of Roger Gracie? The 14 time world champion? He admitted that during the beginning, although he was from the Gracie family, he was far from prodigy level and none of the Gracie Family even expected him to be the torchbearer of bjj because he was soo average, nothing special, but he worked and worked and eventually now , the man's a living legend

Last edited:

Like others have said, stick with it. Training a total of 8-9 months for the average person is nothing. You have to at least stick to jiu jitsu for a couple years before things make better sense and you don't feel so much like a fish out of water.

Don't compare yourself to others, even against 'newer' people who joined the gym after you! You don't know what prior training people have that gives them experience/advantage over you still, let alone any size and fitness advantages too. A lot of people withhold information about their training history, whether martial arts, sports, or fitness buffs. Mixing gi and nogi for a complete, no experience, beginner is a challenge as well. Your mixing two different variables(gi grips vs no grips, slower pace vs faster pace, friction vs no friction, etc.) that is doubling your learning curve. Me personally, if I did both right away(gi and nogi) at the beginning of my training journey I would have found it too overwhelming.

Breakdown your training into smaller pieces so its more manageable. If a better guy always passes your guard for example and gets to side control and then submits you from there, turn into a game of where you don't let him pass your guard, the longer it takes him/her to pass your guard, guess what, your learning and winning on your own terms as well.

Concentrate on guard retention and good positionning. I saw some of it in class but it's such a wide subject that I needed to go watch videos to have a complete game. I love the open guard game but I learned fast that if my technique is not on point I'm bound to get passed fast. So I put more focus on having a good closed guard, I'm rarely attacking for subs but I work hard to break his posture and to get a good position on him to sweep or to take the back (overhook, side guard, underhook, shoulder clamp). I only play open guard when he stands up instead of being passive and waiting for him to stand up or trying to push him up.

Also, when you're getting passed, don't be too stubborn, if you don't have control of the guy anymore go straight to get a good position under side control. It's your only hope against big guys who love to smash you in side control. It's way easier to deal with a strong guy if you're on your side, with an underhook and you are about to get back your guard even before he's able to pass your guard completely .

As for the new guys beating you up... There's so many variables to why they could beat you (strenght, prior grappling experience, agressivness...). Work on you instead of worrying about them. You're not a black belt, you have no rank to defend. Work on your stuff, enjoy being able to not getting smashed, to reguard, to sweep...

My trick against strong and athletic new guys is to keep them in your guard. Most of them don't have a good posture and they like to grind you to the mat. They just don't understand that they need to get out of your guard. I know they will posture up at some point and figure it out, but their first reflex will be to smash you. Then you get an overhook or underhook and you sweep them.

I am similar I have been training for one year. Loads of new guys have overtaken me some people are just naturals. I got 2 stripes at the last grading and was surprised to even get that - sometimes i think it was for just hanging in there more then anything! I make excuses for myself as to why I lost but I am trying to learn from my defeats ie; what did I do which led to my loss? Or win?
I looked at my training diary over the last few weeks I have learned so much since I started. I also have my doubts about BJJ and bad days, as I am not a natural BJJ fighter but to give up now would mean going backwards and I know in my heart I would regret it all my life. If I was you I would write down all the moves you have learned and know in each position. Review it before you go training and try and use them.
I got beat by a few new guys tonight this bothers me as obviously if you can't even beat them you can't get anywhere. I donmianted the fights but made stupid mistakes!
Check out tristar gym
Coach Zahabi
on youtube fro some motivation!! If you are going through hell keep going!!

To really know if bjj is for you, you need more than 8-9 months.

Been training for almost 6 years and only recently i am having success escaping from inferior positions, so you better stick with it, it's a long journey.

I don't know if your goal is become a BJJ black belt or be considered a black belt level grappler but plan on training at least a dozen years to reach that level. I know there are guys who reach that level in 5 or 6 years, even less, but those guys are the exception to the rule.

10-12 years is a more realistic timeline to get 'good' at jiu jitsu, if your not rushing it, plus based on your ability and mental focus. I have trained 4 out of 6 years, where I consider myself decent, average at best, enough knowledge and skill not to suck on the mat. And I'm no world beater.

Plus, your in the beginning phase. Just keep training. There will be a lot of highs and lows.

Thanks for the replies guys. too many replies to reply to you guys individually. Yeah, hopefully I'll see some improvements in the next few months. Will be adding more gi classes. Also, it is hard not to compare myself to other people. I have always done that.

On another note, i need to lose another 20-30 pounds. Maybe that is another thing that is hurting my game.

Back