Male singers that sound like girls

I thought the Weeknd was a woman the first time I heard him.

There's this Israeli guy who sounds like a black woman:

Jonsi of Sigur Ros.

I was shocked to learn that was a guy after I got into Svefn-g-Englar from the Vanilla Sky soundtrack.

Great band by the way. Have all of their albums and they make some very climactic stuff...they would be yuge if they spoke English...even more bigly if their singer actually was a chick.

Sigur Ros are pretty huge already. In Europe at least.

Coheed and Cambria...blew my mind when I saw the lead singer

And one of my all time favorites, Prince. The fact that his falsetto was so perfect and yet he had such a deep speaking voice boggles my mind as well. So extremely talented. Glad I got to see him perform before he died.

Aaron Freeman aka "Gene Ween" has quite the range.

Sigur Ros are pretty huge already. In Europe at least.

I know..I meant commercially in the americas as well. They still are fairly popular here. I just think the barrier probably prevented them from being more iconic here. Their stuff is featured in a lot of media here as backdrop music and they did get a feature on the simpsons. For whatever reason it seems they don't get their due.

It's called falsetto bros

Can't forget the GOAT in this department, Frankie Lymon

Apparently he influenced Michael Jackson's style

Frankie Valli was one of the originals.

when i heard mars volta i really wasnt sure if its male or female,but either way guy us a tremendous singer.

Cedric Zavala from At the Drive-In/The Mars Volta, John Gourley from Portugal. The Man and Armistead Smith from Pinback/Three Mile Pilot/ Systems Officer.

Last edited:
here's a new one.

years ago, if I recall correctly, exactly around this time in 2010, I stumbled across this song on the ambient station on Dish Networks. I loved the trippy/garage feel to it but the more I listened to it the more I noticed something was off. I have a lot of time spent fucking with audio & music, & then I realized this was a motherfucking dude singing the entire time. he is singing his best impersonation of a female's voice half the speed of the intended tempo, then through software &/or equipment he sped it up to his desired tempo adjusting the pitch to the desired effect where it can somewhat pass as a female's voice to an untrained ear. you can easily tell when you hear how horrible the singing is when he can't hit the high notes, which is easy for sopranos in that register.

my assumptions were later verified to be true after digging around - the dude makes music singing as a dude under the alias 'Memory Tapes' & sings as a fake girl under the alias 'Memory Cassette'. I brought this up on a youtube video comments section long ago & it blew some minds, & turned them off to the music. I mean I don't know how to feel about it. he has some good songs but fuckk, it's kinda creepy.

I thought this Finnish mainstream pop artist was a chick until last year I happened to hear his name. Blew my mind.

Back