Make Weight Or No Fight

Jack Swilling

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
UFC policy should be make weight or do not fight. Normally I am it is sports entertainment, but safety and fairness should never be checked at the door. If the UFC stacked cards, then steaming piles like Kevin Lee or Kaboob would not fight. They would sit and come to grips with what weight class is realistic. Possibly first miss and get a pass. Second miss and you are done. If it were me, and I knew I would get clipped 20%, then I would rather come in heavy and smoke the opponent and hope to get a $50k bonus. My feeling is miss weight and sit and stack the card to take the scum into consideration. You get a slightly smaller card, but you cut out the B.S.

If you went through a training camp and you got 20% of your opponent's purse, you'd want to fight.

My thought on it is, if they don't have to spend all that effort and struggle to cut that last bit of hardest weight to cut, they are probably going to rehydrate and regain mass better than the fighter who did complete the cut, and are going to have even more of an advantage as a bigger fighter on fight night, so I can't blame someone for not taking the fight against someone who didn't make weight. They are trying to get every single ounce of advantage they can and they fucked up, fuck them.

Related to that, weight cutting is very silly and most deaths in combat sports are related to it. It's gotta go sooner or later IMO.

It sounds a little harsh, some of these guys are 'tweeners' with nowhere to go until the weight classes are fixed! Besides, how dangerous could it b-

Nice-Finish-JOSH-EMMETT-RICARDO-LAMAS-UFC-ON-FOX-26.gif

........Okay, TS might have a point here.

"Why not just execute fighters who can't make weight?"

Thank you for this sane and productive post.

"... some of these guys are 'tweeners' with nowhere to go until the weight classes are fixed!"

Good point, but there are only a couple gaps. Not sure why the added weight to each class. Boxing weight classes make sense as there are really no gaps except heavyweight which is 225 to infinity. A super heavyweight class makes sense, say north of 250 lbs. A 225 cruiserweight makes sense

If you miss weight you must be permanently exiled from society.

Lots of people who never cut weight before think people miss weight for an advantage. These threads end up full of ignorance.

But yeah, I wouldn't care if the fights got canceled.

If one of the fighters misses weight and both fighters still want to fight then it should be considered and exhibition and should not count as a win or a loss. Too many times the heavier guy wins the fight and goes on to bigger and better fights while the guy that made weight goes to the back of the line.
th
th
th

Call me crazy but i think fighters should weigh in pre show like most other martial arts competitions. The argument that fighters who cut wont have time to rehydrate is ridiculous, because no one would be stupid enough to fight extremely weak and dehydrated to access a lower weight class, as you'd negate any possible size advantage with your feeble condition.

It would force fighters to fight at natural weight and stop this ridiculous cycle of every fighter starving themselves towards organ failure just to avoid their opponent gaining a competitive advantage. Its an absolutely retarded aspect of the sport.

If some dude misses weight by .5 pounds I don't think that the fight should not happen under any circumstances like you suggest. if it's 3-4 lbs and over then it is a different story. concerning this as a reaction to Kevin Lee's fuck up, 1lb isn't as big of a deal to me and shouldn't be put on the level of emmet (who missed by 2.5lbs) and cowboy olivera (who missed by 5.5lbs). just let edson get his 20% and fight

"Lots of people who never cut weight before think people miss weight for an advantage. These threads end up full of ignorance.
But yeah, I wouldn't care if the fights got canceled"

True, some try and fail and some say F-it
So I agree on all counts, but professionals should be held to the highest standard

Nah. Instead they fire you for refusing to fight an over weight opponent.

Back