Majority of Republicans now think college is bad

@Devout Pessimist why do you hate Islam so much if your values line up so much with Muslims?

He doesn't. He posts videos sometimes of a prominent Muslim from the UK I forget his name and I'm on mobile so I don't have him bookmarked.

He is catholic last I checked. And if anything ascribes to the traditionalist school with or without realizing it. In fact many in the War Room do.

I think what he dislikes is the lefts love and defense of radical islam and he doesn't like Islamic imperialism trying to takeover formally Christian societies. But I've never seen him advocate that the west invade Muslim countries and do nation building. And obviously he like any sane person is against mass Immigration of Muslims or people from the 3rd world.

Damn, do you have a PhD in psychology? I took a Pscyh 150 (not the intro course, one above it) for my Associates in Science degree before I moved to a university. The class was fun as hell and very interesting... we discussed conditioning and Freud and all of that, but we also went into the parts of the brain and how they communicate with each other. It was very interesting and had I not already been on an engineering path it's something I may have actually pursued.

My point in my previous post was that it's not reasonable to group both psychology and sociology into the same area of science. One is an actual science while the other is not.

Honor's of Kinesiology (but ours had a heavy motor control/motor learning emphasis as two of our profs do a lot of research into that field, then teach the neuroscience students; we also have McMaster satellite medical school in our university lower levels, so our anatomy classes were more stimulating). But i also went to college and a school in the US prior to the one i went to in Canada.

I didn't say that. Creating a sterile, gender segragated, joyless environment where kids enjoying adult freedom for the first time in their life have to conform to Islamic style morality is garbage.

Adult freedom means getting drunk and banging random people at a frat party? Is the only way people can have fun through intoxicants and random hook-ups?

I thought being an adult means taking responsibility for self and others, making tough decisions and doing what is right regardless of what the mainstream society believes. An adult restrains himself from indulgence and commits himself to his wife and children.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a big fan of formal education.
Will read later but to me, it seems like this "who really needs college" or "college doesn't prepare for muh life" and "college is useless and a waste of money" is on the rise for quite some time, I never really connected it to specific policies.

Universities and College are a place for higher learning. Why do College students need to indulge in degeneracy and vice on campus? There are countless places off campus where they can indulge in hedonism and degeneracy. If there is at least one place that should hold people to higher standards and be considered a sacred place it should be the University. God knows the churches are not doing it anymore.
Why do adults engage in activities you disagree with in their homes?

I'm sorry, you're going to have to whittle that down to specifics.

He doesn't. He posts videos sometimes of a prominent Muslim from the UK I forget his name and I'm on mobile so I don't have him bookmarked.
Chowdrey or however you spell it? Isn't that guy in prison right now for stating openly on British TV he supports ISIS like right after they beheaded some UK citizen?

A lot of my values do line up with some Islamic beliefs. The big difference is that I do not believe in forcing women to cover their heads or face and killing apostates or homosexuals. I am in agreement with Islam when it comes to reasonably segregating the sexes, banning drugs and alcohol, promoting sexual restraint, enforcing dress codes, and punishing criminals in a harsh manner.

I would thrive in a strict religious society.

Sounds like a scary place to me

Why do adults engage in activities you disagree with in their homes?

I'm sorry, you're going to have to whittle that down to specifics.

What I am saying is that there is a time and a place to engage in consensual "adult" pleasures. University is not that place. There are plenty of other places to indulge in hedonism like the home and nightclubs. There is nothing wrong with having a few sacred places where people are expected to conduct themselves with restraint and respect.

Chowdrey or however you spell it? Isn't that guy in prison right now for stating openly on British TV he supports ISIS like right after they beheaded some UK citizen?

@SouthoftheAndes is referring to Abdal Hakim Murad. I enjoy watching his videos and agree with a lot of what he has to say.

College =/= intellectualism
Exactly this. College doesn't teach you anything. Some of the richest people are actually college or high school drop outs. In fact, if you look at the liberal colleges, they make you dumber.

Whatever you're trying to learn in college can be learned elsewhere. Either self-taught by google or books, or by actually working in the field. There was this 4.0 college student who dropped out to work in the field instead. Most of the time, you graduate from college knowing nothing, only to be retrained when you get the job.

I've had to train so many Master degree guys straight out of college. Amazing how clueless they are. I mean I'm not surprised. They have zero work experience. They think they so fancy with their dumb paper degree but here I am a degree-less supervisor training them and making more than them. They're in debt and not as smart as me. Literally, everything they know, I know too and I have the experience to back it up. They only know it in theory/conceptual.

All in all, college is overrated and it messes you up more than it helps. Too bad employers these days won't even look at you without a fancy degree though.

i suspect something may be lost in the reporting

ask republicans: "do you like large amounts useless debt?"

Adult freedom means getting drunk and banging random people at a frat party?
Yes, that is one of the many freedoms that adults enjoy.
Is the only way people can have fun through intoxicants and random hook-ups?
The only way? No. Who said that it was?
I thought being an adult means taking responsibility for self and others,
Yes, that is part of being an adult.
making tough decisions and doing what is right regardless of what the mainstream society believes.
Learning to balance fun and work is part of being an adult. You can't learn that if the fun part is taken out. Restricting freedoms from adults is pretty anti-freedom Mr. Liberty guy.

An adult retrains himself from indulgence and often commits himself to his wife and children.

What? Indulgences are part of the fun of life. You sound like a joyless and miserable person. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Being a perpetual alcholic or druggy is obviously bad an not adult. But someone that has their shit together, works hard and does what's right deserves to get wild every now and then.

I don't disagree that party and booze culture should be brought to heel a little bit. But to propose segregating the genders and banning booze entirely? Fuck outta here.

He is catholic last I checked. And if anything ascribes to the traditionalist school with or without realizing it. In fact many in the War Room do.

I think what he dislikes is the lefts love and defense of radical islam and he doesn't like Islamic imperialism trying to takeover formally Christian societies. But I've never seen him advocate that the west invade Muslim countries and do nation building. And obviously he like any sane person is against mass Immigration of Muslims or people from the 3rd world.

Why would he be against mass migration of muslims into the west? Wouldn't he want more like minded individuals that share his values?

Makes sense. They need to preserve their base of uneducated poor white people who are ignorant enough to keep electing Republicans who serve against their interests.

The right's dream is to have a constituency who gets a K-12 education in a publicly funded, Christian charter school, then goes to a tech college to learn a marketable trade.

Then spends the rest of their "intellectual" lives listening to talk radio and reading Breitbart.

Putty in their hands.

Yes, that is one of the many freedoms that adults enjoy.

The only way? No. Who said that it was?

Yes, that is part of being an adult.

Learning to balance fun and work is part of being an adult. You can't learn that if the fun part is taken out. Restricting freedoms from adults is pretty anti-freedom Mr. Liberty guy.

What? Indulgences are part of the fun of life. You sound like a joyless and miserable person. Everything in moderation, even moderation. Being a perpetual alcholic or druggy is obviously bad an not adult. But someone that has their shit together, works hard and does what's right deserves to get wild every now and then.

I don't disagree that party and booze culture should be brought to heel a little bit. But to propose segregating the genders and banning booze entirely? Fuck outta here.

I did not say ban alcohol entirely. I said it would be banned on campus. Students can still go off campus and engage in degenerate behaviors if they so choose. I stated how I would run a University and it would be up to people to choose to attend it. I think you would be surprised by how many people would attend a university like I envision.

giphy.gif

I wouldn't say it's "bad" at all. I think college is very important. However, it seems attending college is increasingly creating a situation of diminishing returns.

Students are taking out exorbitant loans in order to study subjects that are decreasing in relevance. In addition, we have been pushing the idea in this country that college is for everyone. It most certainly is not, nor should it be.

Grade inflation is a serious problem. Performances that would earn a C three decades ago now earn a B+ or better.

And yes, the political climate in colleges has become quite kooky and, at times, a bit frightening.

Back