Majority of Republicans now think college is bad

I would agree with the caveat that most liberal arts programs are bad. Many colleges are still good - except for the massive crushing debt for useless degrees in those good colleges.

College is not a waste of time, but a lot of degrees are. To anyone who is contemplating their first undergrad and paying for it themselves, plan carefully. Some degrees pay for themselves, others will burden you for years to come after you've graduated.

Everyone has their own mind and they can choose what to believe or disbelieve. I went to college and I choose to believe that it's a good thing.

Loved my university experience scholastically both in the US and Canada. I wasn't in any classes where any of this"hyper liberalism/conservativism" was taught though, unless you count my sociology prof who wiped down the pew before every class because an obama supporter may have touched it. Legitimately his reasoning. Otherwise, nah it was a good time; minus the vegans.

Even if you ignore the postmodernism neo marxist stuff there is an economic shift making quite a few formerly lucrative degrees become highly competitive/ risky.

the wealthiest people i know are skilled tradesman. and the people who made out well in college are engineers/nurses, never hear about anybody else. probably not a good sign.

Loved my university experience scholastically both in the US and Canada. I wasn't in any classes where any of this"hyper liberalism/conservativism" was taught though, unless you count my sociology prof who wiped down the pew before every class because an obama supporter may have touched it. Legitimately his reasoning. Otherwise, nah it was a good time; minus the vegans.

Wait... you had a CONSERVATIVE sociology professor? Are you sure? I honestly didn't think it was possible for this to occur.

It depends on many variables including the individual, the school, the school environment, the professors and program a student enrolls in. It seems like some institutions these days have become glorified daycare centers by day and degenerate nightclubs by night.

If I were running a university, then I would make uniforms mandatory, ban alcohol, drugs and parties on campus, institute a strict curfew policy, segregate the sexes and keep identity studies propaganda away from the campus.

362_DSCF0175.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on many variables including the individual, the school, the school environment, the professors and program a student enrolls in. It seems like some institutions these days have become glorified daycare centers by day and degenerate nightclubs by night.

If I were running a university, then I would make uniforms mandatory, ban alcohol, drugs and parties on campus, institute a strict curfew policy, segregate the sexes and keep identity studies propaganda away from the campus.

College students are adults. Curfews and segregation based on sex is ridiculous.

Wait... you had a CONSERVATIVE sociology professor? Are you sure? I honestly didn't think it was possible for this to occur.

Yep. Hardcore conservative prof, confed flag in his office and everything. Fairly lenient. After the first month, whoever showed to class got the answers to last years exam of which made up 50-80% of the new exam. So basically, if you read the chapters, showed up to the first class of the month, you passed with an easy A. It was just soc 101 sooo i don't think it was too detrimental to anyone's understanding of things.

362_DSCF0175.JPG
good thing you never have been or never will be in a position of power to do any of that garbage.

College is a gamble like any other major life choice. You might learn a good deal of information, but unless you are able to use that information to enhance your life then it's an absolute waste of time and resources. You also might not learn a god damned thing and walk away with a useless piece of paper.

I got a BS in Materials Science and Engineering and it took me 5 years to get my degree. I didn't really enjoy any of it and I have no passion for the field. I learned a lot, but all in all, it wasn't a good investment of my time and resources. I'm not bitter about it because I learned a lot and now I'm much more capable of problem solving in general. With this being my personal experience I can see why college can be seen as bad by many people. One thing I will note is that I think it's especially a tough experience for younger people... I was 28 or so when I went to college after my time in the Marine Corps, and I still didn't know what I wanted to do for a living. This is a tough thing to figure out and forcing kids 18-20 to make a 4+ year investment in a specific job field isn't always a good thing.

So yeah, hit and miss I guess, but I think the concept and process of college in the US could certainly be enhanced and be much better for everybody involved.

College students are adults. Curfews and segregation based on sex is ridiculous.

Many college kids sure do not act like they are adults and obviously need structure and discipline. Something they probably never had in their lives. You don't become an adult just because you turn 18 or attended a bunch of degenerate frat parties.

Yep. Hardcore conservative prof, confed flag in his office and everything. Fairly lenient. After the first month, whoever showed to class got the answers to last years exam of which made up 50-80% of the new exam. So basically, if you read the chapters, showed up to the first class of the month, you passed with an easy A. It was just soc 101 sooo i don't think it was too detrimental to anyone's understanding of things.

Wow... thanks for the reply though. My experience with sociology has been below abysmal and I've never met more delusional and psychotic people in my life (Marines included) than sociology professors.

good thing you never have been or never will be in a position of power to do any of that garbage.

Creating an environment where college students learn respect, restraint and responsibility is garbage?

Many college kids sure do not act like they are adults and obviously need structure and discipline. Something they probably never had in their lives. You don't become an adult just because you turn 18 or attended a bunch of degenerate frat parties.

I think you have a distorted view of what college life is like for most people. The craziness you see in the news makes up a very marginal percentage of college students. Most have jobs and real world problems to deal with. Not to mention, there is a growing amount of people that attend college later in life.

Wow... thanks for the reply though. My experience with sociology has been below abysmal and I've never met more delusional and psychotic people in my life (Marines included) than sociology professors.

That has been my experience with psychology profs for sure (one of which, her son trained with us, and hated his mother lol), i think this was just one of those Peterson types who managed to get through the cracks. I'm neither lib nor con so either side is irrelevant to me when both the far sides act like dolts, but this guy never voiced any other opinion other than he hated obama and his supporters. Outside of that he seemed very, very normal. Stuck to the topics, provided both sides of arguments, let you decide on your papers etc.

Back