Majority of Republicans now think college is bad

I don't entirely disagree. But as another poster pointed out sex among young people is actually down currently.

@KILL KILL made the point that promiscuity is down. That is a good point I failed to consider. I have read that many younger people are also staying married longer than their parents. It is possible that things are changing. It seems like the worst of the hedonism peaked in the 80's.

If YouTube trends indicate anything, then maybe things are changing. I have noticed a lot of channels featuring younger YouTubers promoting marriage, families and other traditional values.

Perhaps I am being unreasonable and narrow-minded in my view regarding out of control hedonism and degeneracy :oops::oops:?

Last edited by a moderator:
'Tinder generation' turns its back on sex, as millennials are less likely to be promiscuous than their parents' generation

Today's young people are the least promiscuous generation since the 1920s, an academic study suggests.

Researchers who analysed findings from a long-running social survey from the US found that those now in their early 20s are almost three times as likely not to be sexually active as their parents’ generation.

Among so-called “millennials” born in the early 1990s, who were aged between 20 and 24 when the data was last collected, 15 per cent had not had any sexual partners since turning 18.

By contrast, when members of so-called “Generation X”, born in the 1960s, were asked the same question at the same age the proportion was only six per cent.

The only other generation that showed a higher rate of sexual inactivity were those born in the 1920s.

“This study really contradicts the widespread notion that Millennials are the 'hookup' generation, which is popularised by dating apps like 'Tinder' and others, suggesting that they are just looking for quick relationships and frequent casual sex," said Dr Sherman.

The findings tallies with British studies suggesting that young people today are not only less likely than previous generations to have casual sex but also more likely to avoid other “risky” behaviours such as heavy drinking, drug-taking and crime.

@KILL KILL made the point that promiscuity is down. That is a good point I failed to consider. I have read that many younger people are also staying married longer than their parents. It is possible that things are changing. It seems like the worst of the hedonism peaked in the 80's.

If YouTube trends indicate anything, then maybe things are changing. I have noticed a lot of channels featuring younger YouTubers promoting marriage, families and other traditional values.

Perhaps I am being unreasonable and narrow-minded in my view regarding out of control hedonism and degeneracy?

Well you are right that the hedonism is promoted wildly in the mainstream media but it seems it's not having the effect they would like it to.

Anyway, aren't guys like you concerned about the failing birth rates of the West? Wouldn't you want more sex and degeneracy?

Well you are right that the hedonism is promoted wildly in the mainstream media but it seems it's not having the effect they would like it to.

Anyway, aren't guys like you concerned about the failing birth rates of the West? Wouldn't you want more sex and degeneracy?

I'd prefer more sex and degeneracy within a committed marriage. Consummation is sexy.

1626619.jpg

“This study really contradicts the widespread notion that Millennials are the 'hookup' generation, which is popularised by dating apps like 'Tinder' and others, suggesting that they are just looking for quick relationships and frequent casual sex," said Dr Sherman.

I actually disagree with this statement.

The lower percentage of people with any sexual partner doesn't indicate that Millennials aren't looking for quick relationships and casual sex. It indicates that fewer Millennials are successful at landing a sexual partner.

Perhaps the reason fewer Millennials have had a sexual partner since turning 18 is because the quick relationship and casual sex environment actually makes it harder for some people get laid. Another researcher said this as well. The current model puts greater value on physical appearnace and thus makes it harder for average looking and below average people to get laid.

So we might actually be looking at more sexual frustration, not better morals.

It IS a waste of time if you get some worthless liberal arts degree (like Art History :D).
I don't like how our culture raises people from the time they're in early grade school that you're somehow a failure if you don't go to college. There's nothing wrong with taking some time off after high school to figure things out.

Well, they are. Again, you can easily find for yourself. Every claim I make can be examined empirically. Learn about Derrida and company.

Feminist researchers that think postmodernism is bullshit? Most feminist research today is done through post structuralists lens. Again, see for yourself. Here are the abstracts from feminist research papers.

https://twitter.com/realpeerreview

I said that there's "some overlap" between the two and that postmodernists are relegated to a few lit departments. That's where Derrida thrives.

But yes, they're the minority. They take up the majority of reactionaries' attention naturally, because they love to disparage them and ridicule them. But they're small in numbers.

For example, my two feminist researcher friends work in these two institutions:

https://www.icrw.org

http://www.caiglobal.org

And here's the Women's Studies Department at Berkeley (aka, the most liberal batshit crazy, anti-science department in the most liberal batshit, crazy school)-

http://womensstudies.berkeley.edu/research/

Go ahead and click around on all three and tell me about their moronic research where they reject positivism, reality, and real-world issues and instead focus trivialities.

I'll wait.

I said that there's "some overlap" between the two and that postmodernists are relegated to a few lit departments. That's where Derrida thrives.

But yes, they're the minority. They take up the majority of reactionaries' attention naturally, because they love to disparage them and ridicule them. But they're small in numbers.

For example, my two feminist researcher friends work in these two institutions:

https://www.icrw.org

http://www.caiglobal.org

And here's the Women's Studies Department at Berkeley (aka, the most liberal batshit crazy, anti-science department in the most liberal batshit, crazy school)-

http://womensstudies.berkeley.edu/research/

Go ahead and click around on all three and tell me about their moronic research where they reject positivism, reality, and real-world issues and instead focus trivialities.

I'll wait.

Feminists use different epistemological approaches. I don't doubt you'll find some that use empiricism. Read this link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_empiricism?wprov=sfla1

How does that contradict that there is a huge group of postmodern feminists? These are the ones that create these unscientific concepts like toxic masculinity and rape culture. They'll sometimes use statistics to prove a point, but they'll deny the posibility of objective knowledge when the data is against them. Like I said, postmodernism is a debating tool that some marxists are hiding behind.

Campuses have turned into Liberal brain-washing centers with little to no political diversity. The professors (if you can call them that) care more about getting their students to fight their political battles than they do the students futures. It's quite sickening to see what's happening across America. Students burning their own schools in the name of "shutting down" speakers they don't agree with.

As someone who went to college for 6 years and am older now, I see it like this:

Instead of paying to go to college for 6 years, I could have worked a fulltime job and also have a possible part time job for those 6 years and saved up enough money to buy a house.

Instead, I spent 6 years working part time just to pay for living expenses while I attended college with loans every year.

So when I turned 25 and was done with college, instead of having 6 years of income saved up / invested in a home and having a stable job/career, I instead had tons of debt, no established job, and no job experience in the field I wanted to work in.

Trust me, as a business owner and former store manager, I will always hire the person that has 6 years of experience over the person that has no experience and a college degree.

If I could do it all over I would have joined the military. All of my friends who were in the military ended up learning a lot of different skills, got the military experience, are financially stable, and can land pretty much any job they want as soon as they check that "have you ever served in the armed forces" box on an application.

1) they didn't ask me
2) the marxism students are being brainwashed in the humanities is horrible
3) actual college learning real things is good--like physics and finance and etc

Fucking marxists have to ruin whatever they get their little maniacal genocidal fingers on.

I'm not sure I'd call college bad . . . folks need some type of education. What's bad is the debt folks incur just to get that degree . . . which is sometimes completely worthless.

If you have a plan and a degree is integral to becoming a professional that's one thing, but if you're just going to college for the experience and have no real plans to use that gender studies or communications degree you might as well go work at McDonald's.

Or go to a technical school to learn a hands-on vocation.

I'm not sure I'd call college bad . . . folks need some type of education. What's bad is the debt folks incur just to get that degree . . . which is sometimes completely worthless.

If you have a plan and a degree is integral to becoming a professional that's one thing, but if you're just going to college for the experience and have no real plans to use that gender studies or communications degree you might as well go work at McDonald's.

Or go to a technical school to learn a hands-on vocation.

I don't know, I agree with the debt issue.

But college is for education and the experience. And some people can afford the debt related to pursuing an intellectual interest. It's only when you can't afford the debt and you accrue it for a profession that won't pay it back that it becomes a problem. In that case, yes, it's better to pursue a trade or vocational school for your job and pay for college classes that satisfy your interests on an casual basis.

Things like this might have something to do with it.

• Two feminist Geography professors recently wrote an article for an academic journal arguing that citations in scholarly articles contribute to "white heteromasculinity" by ignoring research by women and people of color.

Mott and Cockayne say citation practices are an issue of scholarly concern because whether a professor's work is cited by other scholars has strong implications for hiring, promotion, tenure, and how “certain voices are represented over others” in academia.

“To cite only white men…or to only cite established scholars…does a disservice to researchers and writers who are othered by white heteromasculinism,” they argue, defining “white heteromasculinism” as “an intersectional system of oppression describing on-going processes that bolster the status of those who are white, male, able-bodied, economically privileged, heterosexual, and cisgendered.”

The authors claim that this oppressive tradition contributes to the “marginalization of women, people of color, and those othered through white heteromasculine hegemony,” asserting that “particular voices and bodies are persistently left out of the conversation altogether.”

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=942...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Feminists use different epistemological approaches. I don't doubt you'll find some that use empiricism. Read this link

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feminist_empiricism?wprov=sfla1

How does that contradict that there is a huge group of postmodern feminists? These are the ones that create these unscientific concepts like toxic masculinity and rape culture. They'll sometimes use statistics to prove a point, but they'll deny the posibility of objective knowledge when the data is against them. Like I said, postmodernism is a debating tool that some marxists are hiding behind.

The point is, if this group is "huge," their research should be everywhere. Yet they're nowhere to be found on those three organizations I linked to.

Perhaps we should look further. Just off the top of my head, I'll choose the craziest of the crazy. A few schools in California and a few from the Northeast. UCLA, UC-Santa Barbara, Yale and ummm, Rutgers.

http://www.genderstudies.ucla.edu/

http://www.femst.ucsb.edu/

http://wgss.yale.edu/

http://womens-studies.rutgers.edu/

I don't know about you but I see a very small scattering of research that can be called postmodern. There's discursive and qualitative, but that's hardly postmodern. Anthropologists have been using this methodology for a couple hundred years.

So again, this "huge postmodern influence" is really just a few people in lit departments. And if you're expecting literature analysis to be positivist, then perhaps you should look up what "positivist" really means.

I don't know, I agree with the debt issue.

But college is for education and the experience. And some people can afford the debt related to pursuing an intellectual interest. It's only when you can't afford the debt and you accrue it for a profession that won't pay it back that it becomes a problem. In that case, yes, it's better to pursue a trade or vocational school for your job and pay for college classes that satisfy your interests on an casual basis.

What critical experience does a person get in college that might be worth going into debt over?

I understand that some folks can afford to be long term students and go get a useless degree and focus on the college experience.

What critical experience does a person get in college that might be worth going into debt over?

I understand that some folks can afford to be long term students and go get a useless degree and focus on the college experience.

The exchange of ideas with people educated in a particular subject or exposure to things that you wouldn't otherwise be exposed to. The college experience is a very unique living experience and some people put value on that experience, although the specifics of experience differ from student to student. But there really isn't a substitute for it. How critical it is appears to be very subjective.

In my opinion, it's a critical experience for young people's intellectual and personal development as they, hopefully, transition from their parents households into running their own. But you might think otherwise.

If the debt isn't burdensome, it's no different that going into debt so that a person can go fishing or skiing or staying in a hotel, all of which happen regularly via credit card debt.

Back