Maia Who? Maia Why? Maia ha ha.

Sadly predictable, always with the same single leg attempts.
Combined with his gas tank becoming smaller that's a bad place to be.

He does okay when facing lower end top10 fighters or guys without great wrestling.
But now he got 3 guys with solid wrestling, he lost 3 in a row.
Of course his age isn't helping.
If he can't get the fight to the ground he is, broadly speaking, useless. You just can't get away with that at the top level anymore.
Yeah, I don't think this is a brand new era though - I think Maia has always had similar problems.
He's been able to beat most guys below the top 5, and many guys without great wrestling, but then he's struggled against top 5 or guys with good wrestling defense.

he was never the most athletic guy and has always been a bit slow and awkward in his movements. It's gotten even more so now that he is 40yrs old.

Any speed and explosiveness he had has left him a long time ago.

The fact that he has survived against two guys in their prime is pretty damn impressive - and stylistic nightmares. It is time for him to consider hanging them up though.

That was no "kick" lol...and he deserved to be KO'd for such an attempt...and I'm a big Maia fan. That KO is the precise reason you go train kicks...its like a fireman afraid of heat.

His cardio when grappling is actually solid, his cardio gets weak as he strikes, why? Because he has horrid striking technique...he's a heavy arm puncher, he loads everything up, its draining.

Maia's made some improvements over the years, and failed in other areas. To me, Maia is "what could have been". Young BJJ types should learn from mistakes, and steal his productive work.
i know what your saying but maia is weird. hes like a guy at the highest level thats still really green in some areas, but a complete master in others..

but now in 2018 these guys are just so good. you have to think a wrestler with solid hands and power in 2010 would be food for a guy like maia. im thinking of a guys like fitch,rick story, koscheck(i know maia never fought kos).

but the terms "well rounded" have such a high standard now. Guys koscheck were considered well rounded, but now we have guys like woodley and usman. its a completely different standard.

even a guy like wonderboy on the other side of the spectrum. back in the day if a striker was as good as him there was no way hes stayin on his feet against mid tier guys. hell wonderboy got bested by matt brown for that reason but he rounded out his game more

He's one of my faves but Anderson also shut him down a long time ago. BJJ has it's limits. There is no best martial art.

Back