Maia vs Khabib jiu jitsu match no gi

If 2010 then Ben was doing this MMA thing for a year and this black belts to wrestlers in a few years seems dubious to me.

I also don't see Ben as this best benchmark I think he loses a bunch of fights to UFC WW's heck I think he losses to Khabib too.

Yeah he was green, he did make that claim according to his wiki page.

I'm making the debate on the subject of whether Maia could sweep KHabib, not who would win an MMA match. I know the debate has changed direction a bit.

This cant be remotely serious. One of the greatest BJJ world champions ever against a sambo guy who is way smaller than him in BJJ??? Hard call lol.
While I think it's obvious that Maia has far superior BJJ to Khabib, I think calling him "One of the greatest BJJ world champions ever" is a bit of a stretch.
He has 1 ADCC title (which is an incredible accomplishment) and exactly 0 IBJJF World gold medals.
It's certainly fair to say "One of the best BJJ games in MMA history" and that may even be what you meant. But in terms of Jiu-Jitsu World champions, Maia isn't even on the radar.

I doubt Maia walks around at 210 pounds at the least. The size difference is being exaggerated, Khabib is a huge LW, Maia is a big WW. The difference would probably be closer to 10 pounds.

This.. Khabib has a diet and a hard cut for his LW fights he wants to legitimize that belt and move his ass to WW asap.

Maia is indeed a bigger frame guy but don't expect this huge difference scale wise they will be max 10 lbs on fight/grapple day from each other and I don't think this will count as much as people think the 10+ year gap will be more meaningful.

Yeah he was green, he did make that claim according to his wiki page.

I'm making the debate on the subject of whether Maia could sweep KHabib, not who would win an MMA match. I know the debate has changed direction a bit.

Yea he probably got into BJJ since college since he was this into grappling at a high level and saw fights on TV so yea I'm sure he experimented a little bit to see if he can choke guys out.

But he is the thing I don't know it really matters unless you really put it to the test so when he stepped up to fight in MMA when then this is what matters and those training camps now they count for something more and he really is doing submission grappling training and all the jaz so to me from outside I count it like 1 year of pro experience.

Back on topic yea Maia is a lesser grappler then Garcia and I do think Khabib is higher level then Ben .. my prediction is some sort of anticlimactic win on point for Khabib and 10 or so pounds of extra size won't be much of an advantage for Maia while Khabib is in his athletic prime this is what really counts in athletes at the top level.

Khabib is my bet just cause of the extra wrestling oh and age.

Don't think Maia can get a favorable position or will have enough to sub such a high level grapppler like Khabib from a bad spot.
i respectfully diasagree. Maia has tapped much more accomplished high level submission grapplers than khabib. Khabib is amazing but is undersized and not even close to maia in sub abilities. Khabib could probably hold his own for a little but will eventually get tapped

i respectfully diasagree. Maia has tapped much more accomplished high level submission grapplers than khabib. Khabib is amazing but is undersized and not even close to maia in sun abilities. Khabib could probably hold his own for a little but will eventually get tapped

Cool, just our opinions.

I just don't see Khabib letting him get any favorable spot that he will threaten with.

I feel Maia lost a step while Khabib is in his prime. <{imoyeah}>

We have only ever seen a drained and depleted Khabib and he still dominates.

If this happened today my money is on no weight cut Khabib.he isnt subbing Maia but he will hold him down

The fact that people think Khabib would best Maia in a BJJ match proves me this forum is fucking retarded.

Go ask this in the grappling from, where a lot of us actually train, and watch the results.

Yea he probably got into BJJ since college since he was this into grappling at a high level and saw fights on TV so yea I'm sure he experimented a little bit to see if he can choke guys out.

But he is the thing I don't know it really matters unless you really put it to the test so when he stepped up to fight in MMA when then this is what matters and those training camps now they count for something more and he really is doing submission grappling training and all the jaz so to me from outside I count it like 1 year of pro experience.

Back on topic yea Maia is a lesser grappler then Garcia and I do think Khabib is higher level then Ben .. my prediction is some sort of anticlimactic win on point for Khabib and 10 or so pounds of extra size won't be much of an advantage for Maia while Khabib is in his athletic prime this is what really counts in athletes at the top level.

Just watched Anatomy of a fighter Usman coming back in from fight was talking about the strength of Maia's limb. Something like "Man i thought my limbs were strong,but from here (shows limbs extended) it was fuckiing scaaaaarrrry, Yeah it's like his strength is all the way through...fuuuuucccckkk"

The rules of course matter. If there has to be a finish Maia eventually subs him, but if it's ADCC rules Khabib can use his strength on top to win on points. Mainly a half guard/full guard match with Maia fishing for leg locks and looking to take Khabib's back, while Khabib avoids going chest-to-chest like he tends to do.

Just watched Anatomy of a fighter Usman coming back in from fight was talking about the strength of Maia's limb. Something like "Man i thought my limbs were strong,but from here (shows limbs extended) it was fuckiing scaaaaarrrry, Yeah it's like his strength is all the way through...fuuuuucccckkk"

He is a high level grappler that has done it for many many years so yea I'd expect him to be strong and used to this grappling movements so from core strength to limbs to ligaments etc everything is high level by now.

Some of the replies in this thread are mind-boggling. Khabib wouldn't be able to score any points, this isn't remotely competitive, he would lose 1000 times out of 100 in a pure BJJ match - Maia would just pull guard and then work for the sweep. He would probably win by RNC although it could be on points. Khabib ain't passing Maia's guard. BJJ is different than MMA - the guard player has the advantage in most situations in high level lighter weight competition.

MMA fight, different story. Even being in a lighter weight class I think Khabib would take it without too much trouble.

People saying Maia obviously never saw Schaub shutting down Cyborg Abreu's BJJ game.

Khabib will shut Maia down 2x as hard and he wouldn't even need to run, he'll simply out-position Maia

Maia did beat Jacare in a bjj match in 2007, I believe. 2007 Maia would probably win vs current Khabib. However, current Maia vs current Khabib could go either way, but I'd probably lean towards Khabib pulling the W.

Maia did beat Jacare in a bjj match in 2007, I believe. 2007 Maia would probably win vs current Khabib. However, current Maia vs current Khabib could go either way, but I'd probably lean towards Khabib pulling the W.

I'm okay with this. 2007 Maia "raped" Mir in BJJ according to Mir himself.

Maia obviously wins in BJJ i think Khabib kills him in MMA though.

Did anybody read the fucking question. In a JJ match.
Not "can Khabib stay on top"? That's not how JJ works. Maia will be pulling off subs faster than you can blink if that happens.

Put it in a no decision JJ match and Maia will win everytime. Put it in a limited round and it might draw. Maybe.

Back