*Maia Vs Covington: Who gets it and how?*

Seiryoku Zenyo

We are all one
@Brown
Reaction score
Is Maia too good for Covington?
Is Covington's TDD and wrestling too good for Maia?
Maia, same motivation after losing to Woodley?

Who gets it and how?

Covington by decision. Via stuffing takedowns..

They are essentially a same fighter minus the worldclass BJJ. I don't see how Maia loses this.

Covington with an ugly decision via anti-grappling and shitty striking (vs. Maia's very shitty striking).

Maia squeezes Covington's brains through his nostrils.

People realize that not all BJJ guys are the same caliber, but they seem to think all wrestlers are. Covington was lightyears better than all the wrestlers Maia has faced other than Woodley, Munoz, and Sonnen.

And what do you know, he lost to two of those three opponents. And he's now 40. He has no chance against Colby.

Who gets it and how?
Good question. But I believe yes, because of his martial artist mindset. There´s no other reason for him to be fighting if not to be champion. He wouldn´t be in the game just for "money fights", he´s not that kind of fighter.

I believe the fact that Maia only had few weeks to prepare for the Woodley fight made a huge difference like he said himself. He always traveled to the USA to prepare for his fights and he had a plethora of american wrestling partners, not brazilian ones, like in the Woodley fight. So I believe he will be able to apply his game against Covington, who doesn´t have the same kind of strength as Woodley and doesn´t fight as defensively as him too. I see Maia getting a 1st round choke, he will have no problem taking Covington down imo.

Last edited:
I hope Maia by any submission he wants

Covington is obnoxious as hell, you want to shit talk you need to finish fights, not grapple fuck people to boring decisions. Calling out Woodley after decisioning Kim and Brian Barberena ... give me a fucking break.
i hope maia chokes him unconscious in the first.

At first I thought colby would win a hard fought decision, but I've changed my mind. I think maia subs him late.

It's an interesting fight tho, colby is a very strong wrestler.

People realize that not all BJJ guys are the same caliber, but they seem to think all wrestlers are. Covington was lightyears better than all the wrestlers Maia has faced other than Woodley, Munoz, and Sonnen.

And what do you know, he lost to two of those three opponents. And he's now 40. He has no chance against Colby.
Woodley - 2× all American wrestler, Big 12 championship and national freestyle runner up

Munoz - 2× All American wrestler, NCAA national championship. And 121 collegiate wins

Sonnen - All American wrestler, 2 time Pac 10 runner up, silver medalist at Greco-Roman world championships, Olympic alternate wrestler

Colby -All American, 2× Pac 10 champ, 5th at NCAA tournament, JUCO national championship

By credentials Colby is the least accomplished so I don't get your argument.

Can Colby neutralize Maia's long enough to get a decision? Yes. Can Maia backpack and choke him out or land a triangle? Yes. What's a greater possibility? Probably Maia winning.

Last edited:

Who gets it and how?
Like all of Maia;s fights, it all comes down to if Maia can consistently take him down.
I don't know much about Covington, but I don't see many people stopping him.

See I wanna say... Maia via sub

However

I see no reason why, Colby can't just do 'the Tyron' here

Colby via boring wanky decision

Back