Maia Prayer Vigil

If the UFC want to develop Maia as a future challenger to the belt, they need to give him another match against a grappler so that he can get some more ring time to develop his boxing.

Ok, no degree of boxing preparation is going to help Maia if he gets a shot at AS. Although it will help you survive at first, you can't beat Anderson standing. He could train standup for the next decade and AS could eat bon-bons and still school him. The only thing that will keep Maia in that match is the ability to take Anderson down. If not --> see Thales Leites's fight with Anderson and get me some Nyquil. If he doesn't develop that ability, I think Sonnen will always be the more legit challenge to the title.

We will see, I really do not want to see him fight Akiyama because Maia/Akiyama are two of my favorite fighters. Winner of Belcher/Cote would be nice, but those guys have huge power in their hands and iron chins. Not so amazing on the ground though.

Ok, no degree of boxing preparation is going to help Maia if he gets a shot at AS. Although it will help you survive at first, you can't beat Anderson standing. He could train standup for the next decade and AS could eat bon-bons and still school him. The only thing that will keep Maia in that match is the ability to take Anderson down. If not --> see Thales Leites's fight with Anderson and get me some Nyquil. If he doesn't develop that ability, I think Sonnen will always be the more legit challenge to the title.

So Maia should just not bother becoming a well rounded mixed martial artist because he cant out-strike Anderson Silva?

I think they should give Maia a fight vs Rousimar Palhares if he wins his next fight. This fight will give Maia another 2-3 rounds of ring time on his feet, and another fight camp where hes focusing on his boxing so he can make more improvement.

So Maia should just not bother becoming a well rounded mixed martial artist because he cant out-strike Anderson Silva?

I think they should give Maia a fight vs Rousimar Palhares if he wins his next fight. This fight will give Maia another 2-3 rounds of ring time on his feet, and another fight camp where hes focusing on his boxing so he can make more improvement.

i always love the idea of great grapplers matching up... but the fights usually end up dull as they nullify each other on the ground

I think that would be a pretty boring fight. And beating Tomasz Drwal (who?) on a prelim card fight will not earn Palhares a fight with Maia. Maia deserves to be fighting potential title contenders at this point.

Okami has already been bumped down to a prelim card fight with Linhares, who just lost to Palhares. So it won't be Okami. And obviously Maia is not gonna fight Wanderlei Silva. So it probably be winner of Belcher-Cote or maybe Bisping if he beats Wandy. Or maaaaybe Sexyama (I actually really want to see this), but he's new in the UFC and who knows when he's going to fight next? The Sex was supposed to fight Wandy before they replaced him with Bisping.

Maia gives two thumbs up (sorta) to his victory
1065.jpg

It looks like he could make 170 without much difficulty.

Man.... I may be going against the grain here but fuck it....

I don't wanna see Maia boxing people. Not in the least. Sure, his standup looked okay last night, but I don't EVER want to see Maia in a standup fight. I only want to see Maia throw a punch if it's followed by a shot, a throw, a clinch, or a guard pull. Dance with the girl that brought you to the dance.

Maia didn't get this far to start doing amateur level boxing. Go in there and tap 'em out Maia! No more standup matches Demian. C'mon dude.... To quote my boy, "I don't wanna see your standup improve, unless it's standup for the purpose of takedowns, for the purpose of tappin that ass!"

I think Maia could've gotten the takedown in the first two rounds if he really wanted to.

And when Dan Miller said he wasn't afraid to go to the ground with Maia..... yea sure buddy..... I'm a Dan Miller fan too.

Its not about him becoming a boxer, its about him developing his striking game so he doesnt get powned on the first exchange against any half decent striker.

Its not about him becoming a boxer, its about him developing his striking game so he doesnt get powned on the first exchange against any half decent striker.

I think everyone is missing your original point. The goal is to have Maia work on his striking, not trying to find him an exciting fight.

For maia to get better he has to get standup experience. He won't get that if he gets knoked out in a few seconds.

Look man, you're preaching to the choir on this one. I completely agree that he needs to develop a more well-rounded game. I was speaking more in Anderson-specific terms because even testing the water with him on your feet is risky business.

Still, at Maia's age (over 32 I think?) the issue is one of time management. If he's training like GSP, I don't see anything wrong with him putting in 1-2 hours of boxing a day, but it's never going to be his best weapon and that's not surprising. The point of MMA is to use your best weapon and for Maia to use his BJJ he needs to take the fight to the ground. The most efficient way to accomplish that is probably a massive left-cross... but let's be realistic... the BEST vehicle for his jiu jitsu from a percentage, instincts, and damage-control perspective would be wrestling/judo (that throw on Sonnen was awesome but we all know wrestling's higher rate of success in MMA). There's also the last-ditch Ryo Chonan flying heelhooks. :)

I think everyone is missing your original point. The goal is to have Maia work on his striking, not trying to find him an exciting fight.

For maia to get better he has to get standup experience. He won't get that if he gets knoked out in a few seconds.

There's a gym for that. I think the UFC is not a good training place.

There's a gym for that. I think the UFC is not a good training place.

You can't emulate 15,000 fans, millions of tv viewers, a purse, fight record, etc...

Guys fight differently in the cage/ring than they do at the comforts of their home gym.

"And Helio said unto Maia... , "If ye have faith in your brazilian jiu jitsu, ye shall say unto Anderson Silva, Remove your title belt; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible to you."
UFC 1:17

candles68687.jpg

OMG, I just saw this in the front page!
WAR MAIA! Train hard!

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!! Here's to Maia realizing that the only way to win is to embrace and trust wholeheartedly in jiujitsu.

_45338236_thailand_ap466.jpg

Maia!!!!! This fight will be in abu dhabi right? Its a sign!!! War maia!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back