Maia Prayer Vigil

Worst possible match up stylistically for Maia. Woodley will fight the same way he fought Wonderboy. Not engage and stay far from danger. Maia struggled against Masvidal and I just can't see him taking Woodley down.

1. Woodley's disengaging fight strategy.
2. Woodley's wrestling background.
3. Woodley's power and athleticism.

All the above mean it's going to be a long frustrating night for Maia and the fans.

Agreed. The major strategy for Maia, I think, has to be to try to frustrate Woodley with point sparring. If he can't win exchanges by point sparring, he won't be able to win the fight.

He can't slug it out with woodley, and he can't out wrestle a defensive wrestler. But if he stays away from heavy strikes, it's possible to get ahead on the cards and then capitalize if woodley tries to engage.

Otherwise an ace wrestler with heavy hands is pretty much his worst stylistic matchup.

Agreed. The major strategy for Maia, I think, has to be to try to frustrate Woodley with point sparring. If he can't win exchanges by point sparring, he won't be able to win the fight.

He can't slug it out with woodley, and he can't out wrestle a defensive wrestler. But if he stays away from heavy strikes, it's possible to get ahead on the cards and then capitalize if woodley tries to engage.

Otherwise an ace wrestler with heavy hands is pretty much his worst stylistic matchup.
This is one of the main reasons I rooted for Wonderboy against Woodley. Wonderboy isn't exactly easy for anyone but I think he was a better match up for Maia than Woodley.

Last edited:
Maia isn't going to win by trying to suddenly be a different fighter, rather than the best version of himself.

Wodley back up against the cage, load is overhand, maia duck clinch and backpack him. Not the worst matchup for Maia imo

Did not realize the degree of the height difference until they faced off in that video. Maia might not have the bulging muscles but he's a large WW.

Did not realize the degree of the height difference until they faced off in that video. Maia might not have the bulging muscles but he's a large WW.

Maia looks like he has that whole "dad strength" thing going on. Doesn't look like much, but all the guys who fought him say he's stupid strong.

Wodley back up against the cage, load is overhand, maia duck clinch and backpack him. Not the worst matchup for Maia imo

This is why i always wonder what people are actually referring to by 'style' when they say things like 'Woodley is a bad stylistic matchup for Maia'. It's like, saying Chavez Jr. is a bad stylistic matchup for Canelo because they are both boxers.

Obviously what you see on the surface level is, Maia's game is to wrestle people down, and Woodley has good wrestling. But what happens when you actually look at their behavior in the cage? You know, the style with which they conduct their fighting?

Pretty much all of Woodley's habits as a fighter play into Maia's game. Whether it's his tendency to be passive and let his opponent go first, to his tendency to keep his back near the cage, or the fact that his basically only offensive weapons, the overhand right, and to a much lesser extent, rear leg leg kick, both expose one to takedown threats; the former being exactly the sort of punch Maia has gameplaned for years on shooting under. Even if Tyron manages to sprawl on him, unlike many opponents, this does not mean the end of things, as Maia will just scoot his hips in for the re-shot. And if he holds himself up on the wall to avoid the single leg, Maia has very effective takedowns against the cage, either his grapevine trip/sweep out, or his go behind.

Most discussions about this fight focus on potential difficulties Maia might have in imposing his offense on Woodley, but very few seem to be thinking about the flip side: how is Woodley going to engage his own offense? Using his most effective tools exposes him to Maia's own attacks, but the converse is not necessarily true. Woodley may well be able to escape a clinch or fend off a takedown, but that just means Maia can try again, and he is not risking anything by trying again. Indeed, doing so would be his primary method of countering the risk.

To be honest, barring a crumble johnson situation, i don't actually see a way for Woodley to win this fight.

Last edited:
This why i always wonder what people are actually referring to by 'style' when they say things like 'Woodley is a bad stylistic matchup for Maia'. It's like, saying Chavez Jr. is a bad stylistic matchup for Canelo because they are both boxers.

Obviously what you see on the surface level is, Maia's game is to wrestle people down, and Woodley has good wrestling. But what happens when you actually look at their behavior in the cage? You know, the style with which they conduct their fighting?

Pretty much all of Woodley's habits as a fighter play into Maia's game. Whether it's his tendency to be passive and let his opponent go first, to his tendency to keep his back near the cage, or the fact that his basically only offensive weapons, the overhand right, and to a much lesser extent, rear leg leg kick, both expose one to takedown threats; the former being exactly the sort of punch Maia has gameplaned for years on shooting under. Even if Tyron manages to sprawl on him, unlike many opponents, this does not mean the end of things, as Maia will just scoot his hips in for the re-shot. And if he holds himself up on the wall to avoid the single leg, Maia has very effective takedowns against the cage, either his grapevine trip/sweep out, or his go behind.

Most discussions about this fight focus on potential difficulties Maia might have in imposing his offense on Woodley, but very few seem to be thinking about the flip side: how is Woodley going to engage his own offense? Using his most effective tools exposes him to Maia's own attacks, but the converse is not necessarily true. Woodley may well be able to escape a clinch or fend off a takedown, but that just means Maia can try again, and he is not risking anything by trying again. Indeed, doing so would be his primary method of countering the risk.

To be honest, barring a crumble johnson situation, i don't actually see a way for Woodley to win this fight.

I very much agree with you. On surface, TWood is a nightmare match up for Demian, short stocky strong wrestler.. But after thinking it over many times, hes fighting tactics play in favor of demians favor.

None the less, I dont think he will be stupid enough to back up his back against the cage, may be his instics take over and he does it over and over again once the fight start, but that sure as fuck wont be his game plan, then again, when you being doing the same shit over and over again for so many years, thats probably what you would do when shit hits the fan, so unless he utterly dominates demian, he will fall back to his old game...

Maia looks like he has that whole "dad strength" thing going on. Doesn't look like much, but all the guys who fought him say he's stupid strong.
lol I'm like that. There's a pic somewhere of me and some guys from college out on a hike. Three other dudes, one shredded, one in really good wrestling shape, the other a triathlete but still strong, and me with a bit of a gut and arms with no definition. But I was stronger than any of the others, could beat all of them arm wrestling pretty easily but one, and could beat the other (shredded dude) albeit with a struggle. Not that I have a dad bod, I'm just stronger than I look.

lol I'm like that. There's a pic somewhere of me and some guys from college out on a hike. Three other dudes, one shredded, one in really good wrestling shape, the other a triathlete but still strong, and me with a bit of a gut and arms with no definition. But I was stronger than any of the others, could beat all of them arm wrestling pretty easily but one, and could beat the other (shredded dude) albeit with a struggle. Not that I have a dad bod, I'm just stronger than I look.

Not hard to believe at all. I mean, look at this dude here. He looks like your average uncle.

5828.jpg

In the name of the father (helio), the son (Rickson) and the Holy Spirit(Rolls) let us bow and ask for their will and strength in technique
Amen

This is why i always wonder what people are actually referring to by 'style' when they say things like 'Woodley is a bad stylistic matchup for Maia'. It's like, saying Chavez Jr. is a bad stylistic matchup for Canelo because they are both boxers.

He does have a way of avoiding his opponents strengths though. He made things very difficult for Wonderboy in the second fight.

How about this path to victory for Woodley.

Rounds 1-3: Stuff all takedowns. Use upper body strength in the clinch to defend takedown. Maia starts getting frustrated and making telegraphed shots from way outside shooting range. By round 4, Maia is exhausted and takedown attempts become quite timid. Woodley clocks him with an overhand right and it's game over.

The way for Woodley to win is to frustrate him, and he has the technical and physical attributes to do exactly that.

Last edited:
Worst possible match up stylistically for Maia. Woodley will fight the same way he fought Wonderboy. Not engage and stay far from danger. Maia struggled against Masvidal and I just can't see him taking Woodley down.

1. Woodley's disengaging fight strategy.
2. Woodley's wrestling background.
3. Woodley's power and athleticism.

All the above mean it's going to be a long frustrating night for Maia and the fans.

Wonderboy is a karate striker who likes to cross up overaggressive opponents or pick them apart from range, pretty much the opposite engagements Maia (and Woodley) prefer. I suspect we'll see a whole lot of clinch wrestling against the cage.

That is basically how Jake Shields beat Woodley, and I think there's a good chance this fight becomes a cage wrestling battle like that one was. If you watch that fight, Woodley couldn't keep Shields off him and consistently got pinned against the cage. Other scenarios I can envision are Woodley brutally GnP'ing Maia from half guard, and Maia catching a surprise submission.

Last edited:
That is basically how Jake Shields beat Woodley, and I think there's a good chance this fight becomes a cage wrestling battle like that one was. If you watch that fight, Woodley couldn't keep Shields off him and consistently got pinned against the cage. Other scenarios I can envision are Woodley brutally GnP'ing Maia from half guard, and Maia catching a surprise submission.
From halfguard? Maia would just go for a leg. Worst case scenario, he gets clobbered while going for the single. He would then go back to half guard. Repeat.

See? Like I said, I'm always wrong on picking against Maia.
Bro, the most important fight of Holy Maia is here. The Pious People of BJJ require one last effort from you. Post your pick and work your magic again, my friend.

Back