Maia Prayer Vigil

The very next week after he wins the title St. Maia will be in Chicago suburbs at my coaches academy. It was a deal they made at demians very first UFC fight. I'm so stoked

I think he has a better chance in this fight than against Masvidal. Masvidals striking is very diverse and his BJJ is high level. With Woodley all he has to worry about is that lunging telegraphed right hand

I actually think the biggest threat in this fight is Woodley's nuclear leg kicks...they literally launch guys off their feet. The plus side to that as a Maia fan is that Woodley hesitates to throw them and even when they're working, he will often just stop for no reason. I hope he will hesitate to throw them in this fight due to the TD threat

I actually think the biggest threat in this fight is Woodley's nuclear leg kicks...they literally launch guys off their feet. The plus side to that as a Maia fan is that Woodley hesitates to throw them and even when they're working, he will often just stop for no reason. I hope he will hesitate to throw them in this fight due to the TD threat

mas had some success with it, but it also is risky to do it vs demian... I think his nuclear right hand is the biggest problem here

Throwing legkicks as a first strike against someone looking to shoot in on you just means he's going to take it and shoot in on you.

Can't wait for this.

Am I the only one who thinks that Woodley's tendency to back up to the cage (+ TDD and right hand) might mess with Maia's head a bit, given that Maia usually wants to put his opponents there? It seems to me that to pursue that tactic against Maia is either incredibly bold or incredibly stupid.

I will always root for Damian Maia! He has a chance here as he has the best cage Jiu Jitsu and he can take it to the ground he may not have the best takedowns but of all the Great JiuJitsu based fighters he has the best takedown game.

Can't wait for this.

Am I the only one who thinks that Woodley's tendency to back up to the cage (+ TDD and right hand) might mess with Maia's head a bit, given that Maia usually wants to put his opponents there? It seems to me that to pursue that tactic against Maia is either incredibly bold or incredibly stupid.

Twood is not stupid, he seems like and smart person. Putting his back against the cage is about the most stupid thing he could do, masvidal did quite well and actually landed several shots because he avoided that. if you are facing demian, you need to take the center of the cage and pressure Maia... The moment your a backing up is when he will have the most success with his double/singles... If he's backing up he can't shoot as fast nor push his oppoent against the cage...

I think he's hesitant because they're so powerful, but also energy consuming and he gassed for that in the past. He also broke his foot against Gastelum due to a leg kick. In that fight he actually both broke his foot and gassed because of leg kicks.

i just keep having flashes of woodley scrambling lawler's brain with the right. how on earth will maia avoid that?

Not really that worried about Woodley outright starching Maia with a right. Maia never really commits to exchanges, and Woodley will be too cautious in expectation of the shot. It will all come down to just how much Maia can get done and for how long before he starts crumpling to open guard instead of scooting to halfguard after stuffed shots. Nobody stops halfguard-scootin' Maia. He'd probably be the goat if MMA fights only had one 5 min round.

i just keep having flashes of woodley scrambling lawler's brain with the right. how on earth will maia avoid that?

Woodley's best offensive tactics play directly into Maia's game.

This is a very hard fight
I fear for Maia that it may be like Galvao vs Woodley or Silva vs Maia, Woodley is a great wrestler because he is so athletic, quick and strong. His a division 1 wrestler and a two time All-American. We all know defending takedowns is much easier than going for takedowns however Maia has great wrestling. It will be intresting to see how he fares against Woodley

Maia is the last pure grappler in the ufc

This is a very hard fight
I fear for Maia that it may be like Galvao vs Woodley or Silva vs Maia, Woodley is a great wrestler because he is so athletic, quick and strong. His a division 1 wrestler and a two time All-American. We all know defending takedowns is much easier than going for takedowns however Maia has great wrestling. It will be intresting to see how he fares against Woodley

Maia is the last pure grappler in the ufc

maia is light years away from galvaos td game, specially from that time....

maia is light years away from galvaos td game, specially from that time....
I dont know if he can takedown woodley thought, maybe once or twice but i feel it will take alot of time and by then there wont be much time left in the octogon
Just look at how strong and quick Woodley is

I dont know if he can takedown woodley thought, maybe once or twice but i feel it will take alot of time and by then there wont be much time left in the octogon
Just look at how strong and quick Woodley is
I don't either, but galvao isn't a good analogy... That galvao wouldn't have been able to take down most of the guys Maia took down ... Fitch story Chael shields dhk Rory laflare

I don't either, but galvao isn't a good analogy... That galvao wouldn't have been able to take down most of the guys Maia took down ... Fitch story Chael shields dhk Rory laflare
I ised it as an example of how the fight could likley go in the sense that woodley would keep stuffing his takedowns
But unfortunetly the thing with bjj is that fights start standing and its easier to defend a takedown

Back