Maia Prayer Vigil

Maia is fucking hilarious. His entire gameplan is shoot a takedown, pull half guard, and sit up into a single. And it works on everyone.

Wagner Mota, Demian's bjj coach will be spending the week at my academy this week. Super stoked will bow at his feet and thank him for tonight.

Maia is fucking hilarious. His entire gameplan is shoot a takedown, pull half guard, and sit up into a single. And it works on everyone.

I gotta say that fucking chain wrestling sequence at the start of the first round was fucking bonkers.

From the moment he shot in all the way to the end it seemed like it was always fucking millimeters away from losing it completely, but somehow he fucking put his ass in gear and he fucking got in there and hung on. It was nailbiting the whole way.

Im amazed because it just shows how Masvidals tdd is at such a high level that such an incredible display got pulled out of someones rear.

Last edited:
Was awesome to watch and was so happy he pulled it out.

Being a big half guard fan myself, I love his application of half guard in MMA. He just eats up every bit of space too and has incredible weight distribution - you can tell he probably feels like a million pounds to his opponents.

Without gloves I suspect he would be finishing everyone very fast indeed.

Tough fight for Maia but he did a great job against a technical fighter who was not letting him get easy takedowns.

Woodley is a horrendous matchup for Maia but I am staying on the warwagon

Was awesome to watch and was so happy he pulled it out.

Being a big half guard fan myself, I love his application of half guard in MMA. He just eats up every bit of space too and has incredible weight distribution - you can tell he probably feels like a million pounds to his opponents.

Without gloves I suspect he would be finishing everyone very fast indeed.

Gloves + someone defending only and not trying to escape it makes the rnc really really fucking hard... without gloves it's a whole another story, specially if you can strike

Tough fight for Maia but he did a great job against a technical fighter who was not letting him get easy takedowns.

Woodley is a horrendous matchup for Maia but I am staying on the warwagon

I don't know. Woodley's a low movement, low volume fighter who likes to back himself into the fence and land big counters. I don't think he will avoid a grappling exchange with Maia, and may not be able to, even if Maia can't take him down. Seems like a good chance Maia can get to his back eventually, if he can avoid getting pulverized with GNP.

Gloves + someone defending only and not trying to escape it makes the rnc really really fucking hard... without gloves it's a whole another story, specially if you can strike

Masvidal did a great job defending. Bit still I couldn't believe the judge that gave him the nod. That was a clear UD in my view.

Does anyone remember the video JT Torres did here on sherdog of how he likes to finish the RNC? When you're on the back of a standing opponent it's good to keep the body triangle but I think maia could do more on the ground, using his legs to catch an arm, like BJ Penn did to Florian.

Masvidal did a great job defending. Bit still I couldn't believe the judge that gave him the nod. That was a clear UD in my view.

Does anyone remember the video JT Torres did here on sherdog of how he likes to finish the RNC? When you're on the back of a standing opponent it's good to keep the body triangle but I think maia could do more on the ground, using his legs to catch an arm, like BJ Penn did to Florian.

going to the ground was the ideal, but it was masvidal the one not wanting to go to the ground with demian on his back. I love to trap the hand, problem is, hooks allow the other fighter to scramble and turn in, its a trade off, the body triangle gives the fighter too much control, and even if he cant get the sub, at least hes going to ride the round and win. If the fighter is just defending and not concern on espcaping, well due to gloves its really hard to sink the RNC, but if he actually cares about escaping, hes open to strikes from the back, maia punshied gunner a lot from back control because he was trying to escape...

the fuck with candles I got a damn torch lighted on....

59162d19ae384.jpeg

Maia's gameplan for Woodley should be leg locks. Pull half guard or guard or whatever, invert grab the leg, and pull it into ashi garami/inside senkaku/50/50, then heel hook from hell.

Maia's gameplan for Woodley should be leg locks. Pull half guard or guard or whatever, invert grab the leg, and pull it into ashi garami/inside senkaku/50/50, then heel hook from hell.
Entry to leglocks exposes your face for a severe beatdown. Back or topgame for Maia.

Entry to leglocks exposes your face for a severe beatdown. Back or topgame for Maia.

Not really, look at when Yair had Edgar in a pseudo 50/50 position going for the knee bar, and Yair doesn't have high level BJJ. Edgar was stuck. Once you have the leg, you rotate back to neutral, and you're no longer on bottom. Woodley would be clueless in 50/50 or especially inside senkaku. From their it's reverse heel hook time.

Back