Maia Prayer Vigil

thegreenblender

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Defy the naysayers, holy son of BJJ. Sub thy opponent and resurrect the withering BJJ presence in this, our glorious sport of MMA.

I will light a candle for thee every day until thy fated match.

candle_flame_2.jpg

Last edited:
Last warrior in the battle of technical BJJ in MMA. Please bring back victory to ye faithful

479px-Candle-flame-and-reflection.jpg

I too shall light a candle.

loved maia's use of dope mount like positions to GnP and then pass to mount.

only way he can knock maia out is if they let him pass the ''test''!!!

Maia needs more vicious ground and pound. But otherwise great showing.

Maia used the knee shield to underhook to single several times. Such a simple sequence, but executed beautifully. The Penn pass made my night.

90_12_58---Christmas-Candle_web.jpg

Maia, bring home the W, and bring more fans of the high high level jiu jitsu players to MMA.

I would love to see Maia vs Jacare in the UFC. That would be sick.

Maia needs more vicious ground and pound. But otherwise great showing.

i thought it was pretty vicious, actually.

i mean, he beat the shit out of nelson, and gunnar is a bad motherfucker. i love maia, but i never saw that coming.

Maia beating the flop pass was beautiful.

I can't believe that Gunnar felt confident enough to go to the ground and pass like that

i thought it was pretty vicious, actually.

i mean, he beat the shit out of nelson, and gunnar is a bad motherfucker. i love maia, but i never saw that coming.

His Jiu Jitsu is amazing.

His GnP could be deadlier, hence he never looked like finishing the fight either through GnP or using GnP to open up a submission.

May Buddha and the Jiu Jitsu gods smile down upon him.

Buddha_lantau.jpg

"My jiu jitsu is always there. Always saves me in the worst of times."

His Jiu Jitsu is amazing.

His GnP could be deadlier, hence he never looked like finishing the fight either through GnP or using GnP to open up a submission.

His gnp was quite good, especially when he took the back, not a great position for that.

We'll I personally will take the glass half full argument. Marquart may thump Maia in MMA, but Maia will win their division in ADCC. However, if the grappling gods align just right, perhaps we will be seeing Maia make a clean sweep!

His gnp was quite good, especially when he took the back, not a great position for that.

No I agree.

I love Maia as much as anyone here. I just want him to do so well and make a run for that title but against top 5 guys, he's going to need that Rockhold type GnP that we saw against Weidman.

Vicious, relentless blows with serious intent to finish.

Amen. Maia is a cool guy who i would love to see submit Nate.

Maia is on record saying that he really doesn't like hurting his opponent. I doubt that he'll be turning up his GnP anytime soon.

damn his single legs are something... when you watch MMA you don't see much sing leg takedowns finishes. but Maia taking down every one in every fight..

Maia is on record saying that he really doesn't like hurting his opponent. I doubt that he'll be turning up his GnP anytime soon.

Well, then he's going to have a very hard time against top 3 guys.

That was 15 minutes of smiling and laughing for me.

It looked like Gunni got roughed up by his dad. He was completely out of it after round two.

Last warrior in the battle of technical BJJ in MMA. Please bring back victory to ye faithful

479px-Candle-flame-and-reflection.jpg

I too shall light a candle.

What about yon BJ of the Islands? Doth his BJJ meet your standard? His skills are technical and impress the masses.

damn his single legs are something... when you watch MMA you don't see much sing leg takedowns finishes. but Maia taking down every one in every fight..

those were a thing of beuty...

In my opinion maia smokes condit and lawler... hell have a hard time vs hendricks and rory and woodley.

the whole community is behind you Maia

ladykillers6.jpg

Amazing Maia, how sweet thy suubs,
That subbed a wretch like me.
I once was choked but now am pinned,
Was kimurad, but now I tap.

Maia has impressed me at Welterweight, he will struggle against the elites I think, but If he can improve his striking enough, he may have a chance. Can't wait to see who he fights next.

Defy the naysayers, holy son of BJJ. Sub thy opponent and resurrect the withering BJJ presence in this, our glorious sport of MMA.

I will light a candle for thee every day until thy fated match.

Withering BJJ presence? You DO know that almost every, single MMA practitioner has at least SOME BJJ in their arsenal? It's almost required. You can do Muay Thai...and BJJ. Or boxing...and BJJ. Or wrestling...and BJJ. But I don't think you can really survive in MMA today without a passing knowledge of "our" sport?

I don't think he should fight for the title. Not yet anyway. I enjoy watching him put on BJJ clinics on the mid-lower ranked peeps. I would hate to see him get KO'd by an elite striker.

Withering BJJ presence? You DO know that almost every, single MMA practitioner has at least SOME BJJ in their arsenal? It's almost required. You can do Muay Thai...and BJJ. Or boxing...and BJJ. Or wrestling...and BJJ. But I don't think you can really survive in MMA today without a passing knowledge of "our" sport?

Also, Marquardt IS a bjj black belt, so it's not like Maia runs the risk of losing to some guy who neither studies nor respects the art. All I can say is that I hope for some good grappling in this fight before it wraps up, although I think the more likely chain of events is Marquardt by TKO from the clinch.

Is it just me or do all the SBG guys seem way too passive and accepting of being in bad positions on the ground? (McG vs Mendes, Lobov vs Hall, Gunnar vs Maia)? I guess in the latter two cases they had two very dangerous submission guys on top of them but they still seemed to lack the urgency to get away from a clearly losing position.

Can't really think of anyone at FW that corresponds to Maia tho (yeah I realize Hall is a FW - at most - but he's very fresh), so McGregor won't have that aspect tested for a while at least.

Back