Maia needs to be respected a lot more

too many people disrespecting him
he's the ww/mw version of big nog
YoyreY right because after him begging Usman to go on the ground, everyone now thinks he's POOP.

too many people disrespecting him
he's the ww/mw version of big nog
200.gif

giphy.gif

Maia is so dangerous on the ground that he actually nullifies the danger of the big wrestlers, K1 Usman didn't even pretend to take him down last night, if he bothered to improved his stand up game he would be unstoppable.

I have nothing against Maia and i think he is an excellent grappler and solid competitor but to compare him with one of the most successful and entertaining Heavyweights of all time is ridicilous imo.

Big Nog was miles ahead when it comes to entertainment value and was the best HW at some point in time.

Maia doesnt have a fan friendly style and neither has he ever been considerd the best at WW.

That’s because Nog was good at getting fucked up and then winning. Maia normally doesn’t get his ass beat like that all the time. He usually just takes guys down and dominates. If Maia’s striking defense sucked (it’s actually fucking good) and he took more risks to strike, he’d look more like Nog getting beat up n probably making his fights more entertaining. Fortunately Maia is smarter than that and will retire with his brain still intact. Maia > Nog in BJJ, too, not even fucking close actually. And I don’t eve like Maia very much. Guy gets on my f’n nerves sometimes.

maia belongs in prison after that "performance"

Boring fighter, who just lay and wait.its maia that makes the fights boring, i realise after the woodley fight

The fight game has simply passed him by and he hasn’t been able to adapt to it. He’s still a top 5-15 guy and deserves the utmost respect from his fans and his opponents. Just a genuinely nice guy.

WAR DEMIAN MAIA!!!

jyBAkNd.gif

Lol- This is sherdog. If youre not champ or no.1 contender, 90% of its keyboard warriors will find a reason to say every fighter sucks in some way.
Whether you have a padded record, the best of the best have beaten you or they a reference a fight that happened 3-10 years ago..... that fighter is just mediocre.

It's really quite sad

Maia is too old now but he he needed to try to develop explosive takedown years ago. Prime GSP got everyone down. Fitch is insanely athletic and he gets people down.
When your one dimensional, you better be able to get th fight to that dimension or your screwed.

Didn't realise being compared to Big Nog was a bad thing. Tbf, I don't think he's had one successful takedown in his last three fights and he obviously doesn't have very powerful striking so he can be disappointing to watch. His striking defence is fairly good so he doesn't get too fu*ked up, he's clearly still not a bad fighter but he doesn't really have a backup plan against anyone with decent takedown defence.

He's a BJJ guy, are you expecting head kick knockouts? haha

No.

But if you can't get anyone down, what good are your BJJ skills? Laying on the ground asking your opponent to jump in your guard looks terrible. I didn't finish watching the fight; came to Sherdog instead. What did I miss?

Maia is the greatest BJJ practitioner to ever reach the elite level in the UFC, but he just could never get his hands to the point of being a realistic threat. Big Nog could set up his takedowns with his boxing. Maia just has to wildly shoot and pray it works out.

a bump in the name of respect

I'm not surprised that today's obnoxious, doesn't-respect-anything, millennial casuals hates Demian Maia. <45>

Funny how Usman gets shit for being boring but Maia gets a pass. His last four fights have been boring.
Ya, his fights have been boring, but he is constantly going for it. Its just an unfortunate circumstance that people are terrified of his ground game. When you have people that are sloppy as fuck but just wading forward and throwing strikes, people love that! If the other guy is not engaging, then it becomes a ridiculous fight.

Usman should have been piecing him up on the feet or GNPing him, but he didn't, and no one does this to Maia. The fights are boring, but its mostly because people are just playing keep away from him.

A person who is constantly going forward is not to blame. Make his ass pay for those failed takedowns or his lack of striking skill.

Maia never evolved, unfortunately. He could have been champion material if he addressed his weaknesses ages ago.

Maia is the greatest BJJ practitioner to ever reach the elite level in the UFC, but he just could never get his hands to the point of being a realistic threat. Big Nog could set up his takedowns with his boxing. Maia just has to wildly shoot and pray it works out.
LOL. Nope.

PALHARES
SOUZA
WERDUM
MIR
DIAZ

Far more to choose from. Guys who strike, perform takedowns AND submit.

Maia never evolved, unfortunately. He could have been champion material if he addressed his weaknesses ages ago.
10 years ago to be exact. He's been ignoring this problem for at least 10 years.

i don't get how people complain about him not evolving.

he's improved on his wrestling tremendously throughout his mma career, and he's taken down a bunch of really high level guys. but he is 40 years old, and he's been fighting younger wrestlers. i'd like to see colby and usman fight at 40.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back