Maia bless. Maia is the patron saint of BJJ.

Am i the only one here who thinks Jacare is a far more exciting grappler and overall MMA fighter?

I wonder why people dont rally behind him like they rally Maia.

tumblr_ndthv6S5Vz1svt5w5o1_500.gif

I like Jacare too but he is such a good athlete and as you said became a better overall MMA fighter with his striking. Maia is not really a super athlete and he just gets it done with technique and strategy. When I watch Maia I don't ever see moves that I couldn't athletically perform (assuming I had the skill) but Jacare does some scary stuff with his speed and power. Also very impressive but I think the BJJ purists just watch Maia's game in a different light.

I like Jacare too but he is such a good athlete and as you said became a better overall MMA fighter with his striking. Maia is not really a super athlete and he just gets it done with technique and strategy. When I watch Maia I don't ever see moves that I couldn't athletically perform (assuming I had the skill) but Jacare does some scary stuff with his speed and power. Also very impressive but I think the BJJ purists just watch Maia's game in a different light.

Reading what I just wrote..

BJJ purists sounds stupid. What I think I really mean is nonathletic BJJ hobbyist that watch the sport and attempt to emulate these guys. (like myself)

There is something about the methodical way Maia gets it done that is really in the spirit of jiu jitsu though. 13 strikes absorbed in the last 4 fights is unprecedented.

The IBJJF dorks will say something dumb like "but Demian Maia didn't do a berimbolo or worm guard. His BJJ sucks and it's boring!" LOL!
what's wrong with you? nobody hates on maia.

he's won titles in the gi, he's won ADCC, he's had a title fight in MMA and he's currently a top contender at the age of 38. on top of it all, he is an intelligent and classy man.

the only people who don't like maia are noobs who can't appreciate grappling and want every fight to be a sacrifice to the just bleed god. and they have nothing to do with the IBJJF crowd.

what's wrong with you? nobody hates on maia.

he's won titles in the gi, he's won ADCC, he's had a title fight in MMA and he's currently a top contender at the age of 38. on top of it all, he is an intelligent and classy man.

the only people who don't like maia are noobs who can't appreciate grappling and want every fight to be a sacrifice to the just bleed god. and they have nothing to do with the IBJJF crowd.

Hey dummy, I think you misunderstand my joke. I was making fun of modern BJJ hipsters that are mostly IBJJF competitors. You know, the butt scooters. Demian Maia is old school BJJ, and I support old school BJJ. I just don't like these modern BJJ hipsters that thinks berimbolo and worm guard is the shit and above all.

Hey dummy, I think you misunderstand my joke. I was making fun of modern BJJ hipsters that are mostly IBJJF competitors. You know, the butt scooters. Demian Maia is old school BJJ, and I support old school BJJ. I just don't like these modern BJJ hipsters that thinks berimbolo and worm guard is the shit and above all.
and i'm telling you this pretentious attitude towards modern competitors is dumb. i have yet to see anyone complain about maia and his style. he is well respected by the vets and the newcomers.

stop trying to turn this thread into some anti-berimbolo circlejerk. nobody gives a shit.

Maia is also an excellent athlete even if he is not ripped like Jacare.

Also i think you require more athleticism to force to opponent into a takedown and then wrestlefuck him into a submission that Jacare´s taking whatever his opponent give him approach to submissions.

After so many wins, im starting to believe the rumours that Jacare is not given a title fight because he doesnt speaks english well and being zambo (black and indian, giving him an alien black+asian).

Last edited:
The IBJJF dorks will say something dumb like "but Demian Maia didn't do a berimbolo or worm guard. His BJJ sucks and it's boring!" LOL!
Nobody would even think to say that.

What a terrible poster you are.

Super impressive against a contender like Condit. Maia keeps getting better. Maia vs Woodley/Wonderboy would be a great fight.

Am i the only one here who thinks Jacare is a far more exciting grappler and overall MMA fighter?

I wonder why people dont rally behind him like they rally Maia.

tumblr_ndthv6S5Vz1svt5w5o1_500.gif

First of all, everyone loves Jacare. Second of all, Jacare strikes a lot (he's a better striker than Maia for what it's worth), whereas Maia uses pretty much pure BJJ. The main reason people love Maia is because he's so limited but he makes it work anyway. You know he's going to use pure grappling to win, but no one can stop him. It has nothing to do with race. You think this board wouldn't lose its shit if Jacare went into a match with Weidman or someone like that and just took him down and submitted him without throwing a strike? We'd love it. Get outta here with your BS race card.

Nobody thinks that. You're making fun of people who don't exist. People do those techniques because they work in the context of IBJJF competition, but no one says 'takedowns are stupid, they don't work, you should just berimbolo bro'. That guy literally does not exist.

Apparently he also enjoys training Muay Thai, even though it's not his strategy.

His open mindedness is the key to his success.

His understanding of wrestling and striking gets him in position to use his jiu-jitsu.

First of all, everyone loves Jacare. Second of all, Jacare strikes a lot (he's a better striker than Maia for what it's worth), whereas Maia uses pretty much pure BJJ. The main reason people love Maia is because he's so limited but he makes it work anyway. You know he's going to use pure grappling to win, but no one can stop him. It has nothing to do with race. You think this board wouldn't lose its shit if Jacare went into a match with Weidman or someone like that and just took him down and submitted him without throwing a strike? We'd love it. Get outta here with your BS race card.

1.- First of all? Maia love among jiujiteros extends way before this wrestling Maia phase, it extended through the Maia K1 phase too.

2.- Again, the love for Maia also extended through the phases where he was stopped in the ground several times.

3.- Not talking about the grappling community only, but he certainly has been snubbed many times, he is not charismatic and he looks exceptionally foreigner so people dont relate to him. Him being ripped also seems to make people identify with him even less so.

4.- The whole Maia uses only BJJ while Jacare strikes its odd considering that Jacare has 33% more sub wins even though he has fought 28 times vs 30 of Maia.

5.- The whole is it because im black is in jest, him not being able to speak english well and his clear native american features with his african heritage make him look exceptionally foreigner, like someone from Malaysia, which of course makes people have zero identification with him.

Just look at this thread, now Maia would mop Jacare because he is a better grappler (despite Jacare having more sub wins) and Jacare being only good at BJJ because he is athletic (as if Maia was a hobbyist).

Last edited:
1.- First of all? Maia love among jiujiteros extends way before this wrestling Maia phase, it extended through the Maia K1 phase too.

2.- Again, the love for Maia also extended through the phases where he was stopped in the ground several times.

3.- Not talking about the grappling community only, but he certainly has been snubbed many times, he is not charismatic and he looks exceptionally foreigner so people dont relate to him. Him being ripped also seems to make people identify with him even less so.

4.- The whole Maia uses only BJJ while Jacare strikes its odd considering that Jacare has 33% more sub wins even though he has fought 28 times vs 30 of Maia.

5.- The whole is it because im black is in jest, him not being able to speak english well and his clear native american features with his african heritage make him look exceptionally foreigner, like someone from Malaysia, which of course makes people have zero identification with him.

Just look at this thread, now Maia would mop Jacare because he is a better grappler (despite Jacare having more sub wins) and Jacare being only good at BJJ because he is athletic (as if Maia was a hobbyist).

Way to miss the point. Here's how it goes: Maia's BJJ is ridiculously consistent and looks more accessible to the average person. Especially slow twitch mofos like me. It's a huge inspiration to my current game. Jacare's game is something I can't hope to emulate, ever. He's got a mix of freak athleticism and awesome technique that I'll never reach, like GSP's takedowns or Silva's matrix moves. So whenever I'm watching him I'm on the edge of my seat hoping he'll pull off some freak sub, but I don't relate to him as much. Stop with your race baiting bullshit.

Way to miss the point. Here's how it goes: Maia's BJJ is ridiculously consistent and looks more accessible to the average person. Especially slow twitch mofos like me. It's a huge inspiration to my current game. Jacare's game is something I can't hope to emulate, ever. He's got a mix of freak athleticism and awesome technique that I'll never reach, like GSP's takedowns or Silva's matrix moves. So whenever I'm watching him I'm on the edge of my seat hoping he'll pull off some freak sub, but I don't relate to him as much. Stop with your race baiting bullshit.

Which part of Jacare BJJ is freakish? and which part of Maia's BJJ can be done by a hobbyist?

Because last time i checked the wrestling of regular BJJers is complete and utter shit. And Jacare being able to flow with the go and work with whatever your opponent gives you as opposed to forcing the opponent to react a certain way is more along with the "spirit of traditional BJJ" (whatever that means).

At this point i think people are merely saying that Jacare is less efficient just because he is more ripped.

Which part of Jacare BJJ is freakish? and which part of Maia's BJJ can be done by a hobbyist?

Because last time i checked the wrestling of regular BJJers is complete and utter shit. And Jacare being able to flow with the go and work with whatever your opponent gives you as opposed to forcing the opponent to react a certain way is more along with the "spirit of traditional BJJ" (whatever that means).

At this point i think people are merely saying that Jacare is less efficient just because he is more ripped.

Again?

2erg.jpg

It's an overused term, but Jacare really is more explosive than Maia. People can relate to Maia more easily because his BJJ does look like something you or I can do, whereas even in pure BJJ Jacare was faster and had better balance than most of us can imagine having. He's extremely athletic in addition to being exceptionally skilled, which makes him amazing to watch, but also makes him less sympathetic. I felt the same way about Brock Lesnar: amazing to watch, but not a fighter I ever had much sympathy with because there's no way I can do the things he does. Maia, his game I could play (though obviously not as well as him). In fact, my game isn't that far from Maia's, if anything my no-gi game is flashier. But in any case exceptional athletes are harder to relate to, guys who seem more normal get more love. One reason I like Dan Cormier more than Jon Jones is that I could see myself fighting like Cormier (even though that's obviously not really true) more so than I could ever see myself fighting like Jones. There probably is a racial element as well to who you identify with, but I don't know if that's racism so much as just tribalism. I've never judged black people for identifying more with black athletes, people with similar life experiences and backgrounds tend to be more relatable.

It's an overused term, but Jacare really is more explosive than Maia. People can relate to Maia more easily because his BJJ does look like something you or I can do, whereas even in pure BJJ Jacare was faster and had better balance than most of us can imagine having. He's extremely athletic in addition to being exceptionally skilled, which makes him amazing to watch, but also makes him less sympathetic. I felt the same way about Brock Lesnar: amazing to watch, but not a fighter I ever had much sympathy with because there's no way I can do the things he does. Maia, his game I could play (though obviously not as well as him). In fact, my game isn't that far from Maia's, if anything my no-gi game is flashier. But in any case exceptional athletes are harder to relate to, guys who seem more normal get more love. One reason I like Dan Cormier more than Jon Jones is that I could see myself fighting like Cormier (even though that's obviously not really true) more so than I could ever see myself fighting like Jones. There probably is a racial element as well to who you identify with, but I don't know if that's racism so much as just tribalism. I've never judged black people for identifying more with black athletes, people with similar life experiences and backgrounds tend to be more relatable.

31972571.jpg

1.- Again, what part of Jacare's grappling is beyond the reach of regular people and what part of Maia's is? lets use recent fights as reference the Condit and the Mousasi fight.

You think your average BJJers can pull a single leg like Maia did vs Condit? was it slow and methodical? nope, it was the very definition of explosive.

2.- Yup, Jacare when young and comepting in BJJ had an insane pace, but that was BJJ, if Jacare used that BJJ in MMA he would gas by the second round, Jacare in MMA paces himself and he doesnt does anything beyond what you would consider the norm in MMA.

3.- Brock Lesnar was juiced to the gills and is a monster that had tens of lbs of muscle over his opponent, he also gassed really quick, thats not Jacare, if you said Yoel Romero or Hector Lombard you would have a point. Jacare went full 5 rounds with Rockhold at no point you saw him suffer from the lack of gas that being superb athletic gives you.

4.- Again, if its tribalism why is Maia more identifiable than Jacare? Maia is brazilian too after all.

Not really, you can start from standing up, jacares doubles are brutal, Maia drags people down, or goes for singles, actually watch jaca va Luke, one of the reasons he lost that fight was because he was hitting Luke with some doubles that were making Luke fly, he gassed out badly later on, it was quite amazing, not efficient though..

Jacare top smashing control and passing are more explosive, There's no way you can compare both passing styles, and jacas fav subs lately are kimuras, I don't know where you get that he takes what's given, lots of his kimuras come from top half where he forces his way to the lock.

both are extremely technical but it is undeniable that jaca is a freak athlete... He's probably the best athlete Bjj has ever seen, I'm not saying Maia is a bum, just not in jacas level

1.- Again, what part of Jacare's grappling is beyond the reach of regular people and what part of Maia's is? lets use recent fights as reference the Condit and the Mousasi fight.

You think your average BJJers can pull a single leg like Maia did vs Condit? was it slow and methodical? nope, it was the very definition of explosive.

2.- Yup, Jacare when young and comepting in BJJ had an insane pace, but that was BJJ, if Jacare used that BJJ in MMA he would gas by the second round, Jacare in MMA paces himself and he doesnt does anything beyond what you would consider the norm in MMA.

3.- Brock Lesnar was juiced to the gills and is a monster that had tens of lbs of muscle over his opponent, he also gassed really quick, thats not Jacare, if you said Yoel Romero or Hector Lombard you would have a point. Jacare went full 5 rounds with Rockhold at no point you saw him suffer from the lack of gas that being superb athletic gives you.

4.- Again, if its tribalism why is Maia more identifiable than Jacare? Maia is brazilian too after all.

Point_missed.jpg

Back