Maia bless. Maia is the patron saint of BJJ.

dmwalking

Sapateiro Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Maia bless. I'm so emotional about his win and his shout out to the bjj nation.

Maia is in a different kind of matrix. Some strikers slip into the strikers matrix. Maia is in the bjj matrix.

I honestly never expected Jiu jitsu to ever get this good in MMA again. But Maia is a stubborn man. Maia stuck to his belief in his bjj. He knew in his heart of hearts, like I believed, that bjj could be adapted to mma. Tonight he proved it.

I'm really thankful that he realized he is not at his best as K1 Maia. He never won world championships as a striker. His strength always has been, and always will be, as a grappler. But damn, people have gotten so good at anti jiu jitsu, I never expected jiu jitsu to make it back into the top 5. Especially since so many grapplers have become wannabe strikers.

His defeat of Condit was textbook black belt jiu jitsu. His knee cut to the mount was perfection. His back take; perfection.

As a die hard bjj lover and Maia fan, I'm super excited that Maia won this fight. But damn. I'm not only impressed that he won. I'm impressed that he finished a guy like Condit in the first fucking round! Damn. (Rener voice)

The BJJ gods blessed our patron saint of bjj.

I think the key was him embracing wrestling so that he could actually get the fight to where he could use his bjj. Most other bjj artists haven't embraced the takedowns like him, and if more did they'd have more success.

(and I find it utterly fascinating the same people who will tell you to go train with the best black belts to get better at bjj, try to say you don't for wrestling, despite the fact GSP and Maia did)

But props to Maia

That was such a beautiful display of jiu jitsu. I shouted out loud when he sunk in that rnc. So smooth and relaxed. You know Condit was feeling that presh.

I think the key was him embracing wrestling so that he could actually get the fight to where he could use his bjj. Most other bjj artists haven't embraced the takedowns like him, and if more did they'd have more success.

(and I find it utterly fascinating the same people who will tell you to go train with the best black belts to get better at bjj, try to say you don't for wrestling, despite the fact GSP and Maia did)

But props to Maia

Completely agree. Grappling is grappling just how striking is striking. Being just a boxer is limiting yourself. Being just bjj is limiting yourself. It's wise of him to adopt wrestling for his takedowns.

Maias clinch game has always had good takedowns. his mentality seems to have changed most of all to me. he used to wait and wait now he is ultra aggressive and just pressuring ppl to fight his fight from the get go.

super impressive. he is running master class clinics in grappling the last few fights. a true joy to see.

The IBJJF dorks will say something dumb like "but Demian Maia didn't do a berimbolo or worm guard. His BJJ sucks and it's boring!" LOL!

That was awesome. The crazy thing was how confident and straight to the point Maia was in this fight. Conduit is not a B level fighter, and Maia straight up demolished him. Conduit got 0 offense off in that fight.

The match up I really want to see is Maia vs GSP.

GSP would probably decision Maia with relative ease through a steady stream of jabs. One does not simply grapplefuck the best MMA wrestler/competitor in WW history.

For now, I'm hoping he can get a title shot against the winner of Woodley/WB. What a glorious thing it would be if he could cap off his career with a title.

These last few fights shore just hire good Rory and Shields are too.

I love watching guys like Maia. You know exactly what he's going to do and he does it anyway. It's so hard to stop him.

The IBJJF dorks will say something dumb like "but Demian Maia didn't do a berimbolo or worm guard. His BJJ sucks and it's boring!" LOL!

Literally nobody says that and you should feel bad for wanting it to be true.

All hail Maia, the savior of the sacred house of BJJ.

What a performance! Condit gave hellacious fights to any opponents in victory or defeat. Yet, Maia managed to make him look helpless. I'm incredibly impressed.

I honestly hope he sits on the sideline now and waits for his shot after Wonderboy, or in alternative accepts only a big money fight like GSP.

For now, I'm hoping he can get a title shot against the winner of Woodley/WB. What a glorious thing it would be if he could cap off his career with a title.

movie worthy for sure.

The joe rogan fight companion episode was great. Awesome breakdown of exactly what was going on.
The use of tripods to not get moved and to advance. Keeping in quarter guard so he could take the back when Carlos went to turtle up, etc. Amazing.
And, he never really did pass guard...he did quarter mount to back take.

The joe rogan fight companion episode was great. Awesome breakdown of exactly what was going on.
The use of tripods to not get moved and to advance. Keeping in quarter guard so he could take the back when Carlos went to turtle up, etc. Amazing.
And, he never really did pass guard...he did quarter mount to back take.

got a link to it?

But props to Maia
He really took it up a level when he improved his wrestling and takedowns. He took condit down like it was nothing, then once it's down he's an anaconda

Am i the only one here who thinks Jacare is a far more exciting grappler and overall MMA fighter?

I wonder why people dont rally behind him like they rally Maia.

tumblr_ndthv6S5Vz1svt5w5o1_500.gif

Back