Mae Geri - Karate front kick

I had a watch of the fight yesterday afternoon.

Loved the way Machida set up that snapping front kick. Multiple snap kicks to the stomach throughout the fight enough that Belfort started expecting the kick to the stomach. Then of course the unexpected level change directly to the head.

It's weird that you don't really see that many people trying to set up that front snapping kick in the ufc. You see lots of roundhouse kicks to the head but rarely ever any front kicks to the head. You'd think the linear kick would be favoured because it's less telegraphed & quicker.

Loved the way Machida set up that snapping front kick. Multiple snap kicks to the stomach throughout the fight enough that Belfort started expecting the kick to the stomach. Then of course the unexpected level change directly to the head.

It's weird that you don't really see that many people trying to set up that front snapping kick in the ufc. You see lots of roundhouse kicks to the head but rarely ever any front kicks to the head. You'd think the linear kick would be favoured because it's less telegraphed & quicker.

I think because it's the least powerful kick and get easily jammed. I am surprised how much damage it has done, even with this precision. Perhaps Belforts chin is average or below. At least the Couture KO was a jumping one.

No KO.
Show me a teep KO and then we'll talk. :D

mma is growing so much, its beginning to influence muay thai. I have seen some mma style moves on the muay ties channel here and there, a few superman punches, and a few of these front kicks to the face (not teeps) as well.

mma is growing so much, its beginning to influence muay thai. I have seen some mma style moves on the muay ties channel here and there, a few superman punches, and a few of these front kicks to the face (not teeps) as well.
That's a good thing. I see the same happening with Karate (esp post Machida Era ;)) with more dojos adding grappling and free flow sparring at lower belts.

On the heavies, every dumb dumb and his mum was saying that the Machida KO wasn't as impressive as the Anderson KO because Belfort was 'out of his prime' as though taking front kicks to the face was something Belfort regularly took well.

On the heavies, every dumb dumb and his mum was saying that the Machida KO wasn't as impressive as the Anderson KO because Belfort was 'out of his prime' as though taking front kicks to the face was something Belfort regularly took well.
Machida's was obviously better since Andy's kick *did not* produce a KO, he had to GnP Vitor to a finish.

And speaking of fools in the Heavies, I just got into an argument with some asshat who tried to convince people that front snap kicks DO NOT WORK in MMA, that they are only good for games and movies and nobody apart from Vitor got KOd by one. <Lmaoo>

So I came up with a few really nice clips that will fit this thread well. :D

5 here:

One more:

And one more:

Works in kickboxing too.

Last edited:
And speaking of fools in the Heavies, I just got into an argument with some asshat who tried to convince people that front snap kicks DO NOT WORK in MMA, that they are only good for games and movies and nobody apart from Vitor got KOd by one. <Lmaoo>

So I came up with a few really nice clips that will fit this thread well. :D

5 here:

One more:

And one more:

Works in kickboxing too.

brb going through your post history to find the argument. no homo

No KO.
Show me a teep KO and then we'll talk. :D

In fairness, a teep isn't meant to KO it's meant to control distance, front teep to keep them from advancing, rear teep to shove them backwards.

I think because it's the least powerful kick and get easily jammed. I am surprised how much damage it has done, even with this precision. Perhaps Belforts chin is average or below. At least the Couture KO was a jumping one.

I know I use the Mae Geri front leg as more of a jab. So that can seem weak, but I started doing that after getting being tired with my mouth open sparring and almost biting my tongue in half after getting kicked in the chin. Didn't even see it coming from lack of telegraphing. The rear leg from Lyoto is going to deliver more power than a right cross to the chin with the most powerful muscle groups in the human body. As for being jammed, that's why we learn a tad bit of distance in Karate.

It's quicker to just punch them in the face......shortest route and all that.

I must say, I can't judge the kekomi off of one guy, but I actually don't like the mechanics for that particular push kick

The Muay Thai teeps you've come across are more advanced and better performed as it's a very important technique in MT and it's drilled a lot.

I mean I've done over 9 years of Karate combined between Shotokan and Kyokushin and I barely ever trained push kicks. The Mae Geri thrown like a strike however is a very important kick in Karate and very effective, but it's different to a push kick.

So I use the Karate Mae Geri (front kick) to strike and hurt the body, and the Muay Thai teep to push and put off balance.

The Muay Thai teeps you've come across are more advanced and better performed as it's a very important technique in MT and it's drilled a lot.

I mean I've done over 9 years of Karate combined between Shotokan and Kyokushin and I barely ever trained push kicks. The Mae Geri thrown like a strike however is a very important kick in Karate and very effective, but it's different to a push kick.

So I use the Karate Mae Geri (front kick) to strike and hurt the body, and the Muay Thai teep to push and put off balance.

the only time i have ever been hit with this snapping front push kick was from a girl that did TKD. She popped me in the chest and hit with the ball of the foot, I was surprised at the power. I still always doubted TKD until I got to spar with a guy i become friends with. He is a black belt in TKD, the kicks are faster and plenty strong.

here he is fighting boyd allen, boyd allen fights for the FFM, their head coach is a old coach/friend of mine. Richie Quan

the only time i have ever been hit with this snapping front push kick was from a girl that did TKD. She popped me in the chest and hit with the ball of the foot, I was surprised at the power.

Yes the power generated by such a kick is quite surprising. I remember surprising myself knocking one of my training partners down with it landing just below the solar plexus, I really didn't expect generating that much force with it.

Yes the power generated by such a kick is quite surprising. I remember surprising myself knocking one of my training partners down with it landing just below the solar plexus, I really didn't expect generating that much force with it.
same here, during some kyokushin light sparring

Back