Mackenzie to make her MMA debut (weights in video)

Not really wanting to get into an argument but in this particular case she went from speaking perfect english with no accent to speaking broken english in a portugeuse accent. That doesn't just happen. You don't just lose the ability to speak your native tongue out of the blue. It's a conscious decision and just comes across as very odd to me.

Not really.

English is not my first language however.

But I switch accent depending on occasion to the point that Brazilian students think I am Brazilian.

That's not entirely true. If someone moves somewhere, integrates with the society and (almost) exclusively communicates with people who have a different accent they can start picking up that accent as well. My brother married an American lady, moved to Florida, and after a few years he started sounding more and more American. A mate of mine moved to LA, and hangs out mostly with other English people that live there, he still speaks with the exact same accent as when he left.

There's a difference between a Brit living in the US and losing some of his British accent, and what Dern did.

I grew up in the Deep South and had a southern accent. In my 20's i moved to Latin America for 6 years. I remember calling home on Thanksgiving and my mom didn't recognize my voice. I had dropped a lot of the southern accent.

Without trying to, I subconsciously toned down the Southern accent because I was speaking English with a lot of people that spoke English as a second language. A thick southern accent wasn't helping. (Apparently they don't teach "ya'll" in English as Second Language classes.)

I'm back in the US now. My parents still don't think I have a southern accent. Everyone outside of the South does. (It's all relative.)

So my accent did change slightly but i never lost my vocabulary, forgot how to conjugate a verb or stopped using pronouns. (I guarantee i spent more time in LatAm speaking Spanish than Dern has spent in Brazil.)

But Dern's thing was different if you watch the video that made the rounds. In 2013, she spoke like a typical American girl. In 2015 she 'pretended' to speak English as a second language. She was struggling for words and misconjugating verbs and using the syntax that Brazilians that aren't fluent in English use.

It's clear she was affecting the Portuguese accent.

I really don't care. She was/is in her early 20s, probably enamored with the Brazil of her ancestors/top BJJ competitors. People in their early 20s do silly stuff. But no way it was natural.

Talking about this clip.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. It's not the general concept of an accent drift that people are pointing out. It's that she appears to be forgetting English before our very eyes.

There are two things happening to her English. First, her accent is changing from standard American to Brazilian. Second, she is actively forgetting English grammar and vocabulary.

Bear in mind this is a person born and raised in Arizona.

I would not be surprised for her Portuguese accent to change if she moved to Portugal. I would not be surprised for her English accent to change if she moved to Scotland. I would be surprised for her Portuguese accent to change in Scotland. I don't understand how speaking Portuguese to Brazilians while living in Brazil for a few years would change her English at all.

To the other point, you all have to admit it is really strange to see her English grammar and vocab devolve. She sounds like someone who learned English as an adult, not someone who grew up speaking English as a native. There is no reason that she should struggle with English so after living in Brazil for a few years. Both her parents are Brazilian and she undoubtedly spoke Portuguese in the home growing up. That didn't prevent her from learning English. Why is she losing it now?

Every example you guys are using to say that her English change is normal are using a single language example, like Brits living in Florida or Argentinians living in Paraguay. That doesn't apply here.

Do any of you expect Renzo's Portuguese to have devolved and to sound like an American who learned it as an adult?

Edit:
I wonder if it is due to peer pressure, either Brazilians pressuring her to be less American or American BJJers fetishising Brazilians.

Last edited:
^ Exactly. It's not the general concept of an accent drift that people are pointing out. It's that she appears to be forgetting English before our very eyes.

There are two things happening to her English. First, her accent is changing from standard American to Brazilian. Second, she is actively forgetting English grammar and vocabulary.

Bear in mind this is a person born and raised in Arizona.

I would not be surprised for her Portuguese accent to change if she moved to Portugal. I would not be surprised for her English accent to change if she moved to Scotland. I would be surprised for her Portuguese accent to change in Scotland. I don't understand how speaking Portuguese to Brazilians while living in Brazil for a few years would change her English at all.

To the other point, you all have to admit it is really strange to see her English grammar and vocab devolve. She sounds like someone who learned English as an adult, not someone who grew up speaking English as a native. There is no reason that she should struggle with English so after living in Brazil for a few years. Both her parents are Brazilian and she undoubtedly spoke Portuguese in the home growing up. That didn't prevent her from learning English. Why is she losing it now?

Every example you guys are using to say that her English change is normal are using a single language example, like Brits living in Florida or Argentinians living in Paraguay. That doesn't apply here.

Do any of you expect Renzo's Portuguese to have devolved and to sound like an American who learned it as an adult?

Edit:
I wonder if it is due to peer pressure, either Brazilians pressuring her to be less American or American BJJers fetishising Brazilians.

you can certanly lose some vocabulary while living abroad, spend a couple of years away from home in a place where you dont speak your native lenguage at all, you will lose some vocabulary, youll get it back soon enough as you get back though.

Since im a foreing, I really don notice anything wrong with her english lol, I dont see that strong portuguese accent, she sounds kind of odd though.

Her losing vocabulary while living in the US is kind of weird though, unless she only hangs around wth brazilians and only speaks portuguese with them

you can certanly lose some vocabulary while living abroad, spend a couple of years away from home in a place where you dont speak your native lenguage at all, you will lose some vocabulary, youll get it back soon enough as you get back though.

Since im a foreing, I really don notice anything wrong with her english lol, I dont see that strong portuguese accent, she sounds kind of odd though.

Her losing vocabulary while living in the US is kind of weird though, unless she only hangs around wth brazilians and only speaks portuguese with them

Losing some vocab maybe, but she now sounds like she learned English as an adult. This is very strange as someone who grew up speaking English and still sounded like a native speaker just a couple of years ago. In the clip posted above she in 2013 sounds like any random American and now has worse English than Renzo Gracie.

She's training MMA at the MMA Lab in Arizona now.

There's a difference between a Brit living in the US and losing some of his British accent, and what Dern did.

I grew up in the Deep South and had a southern accent. In my 20's i moved to Latin America for 6 years. I remember calling home on Thanksgiving and my mom didn't recognize my voice. I had dropped a lot of the southern accent.

Without trying to, I subconsciously toned down the Southern accent because I was speaking English with a lot of people that spoke English as a second language. A thick southern accent wasn't helping. (Apparently they don't teach "ya'll" in English as Second Language classes.)

I'm back in the US now. My parents still don't think I have a southern accent. Everyone outside of the South does. (It's all relative.)

So my accent did change slightly but i never lost my vocabulary, forgot how to conjugate a verb or stopped using pronouns. (I guarantee i spent more time in LatAm speaking Spanish than Dern has spent in Brazil.)

But Dern's thing was different if you watch the video that made the rounds. In 2013, she spoke like a typical American girl. In 2015 she 'pretended' to speak English as a second language. She was struggling for words and misconjugating verbs and using the syntax that Brazilians that aren't fluent in English use.

I really don't care. She was/is in her early 20s, probably enamored with the Brazil of her ancestors/top BJJ competitors. People in their early 20s do silly stuff. But no way it was natural.

Talking about this clip.

Ah I see what you mean, it's not that she "absorbed" the accent, it's that she was acting as though English was a 2nd language.

Talking about this clip.

lol, she says "like" 15 times in under a minute. Sounds like an american teenage girl to me.

ya'll is criminally underused and sounds a lot less stupid than "You guys" or "Folks" when addressing couples, families, and groups of females.

Back