Macho man coaches

itrainUFC

Black Belt in UFC
@Blue
Reaction score
I joined a newly opened gym last year. I went through four different coaches in that time before our fifth coach.

My four coaches in the beginning were all pro MMA fighters, two of them in the UFC.
The UFC coaches were excellent at teaching but had to focus on their careers.
The other two were passionate about teaching but their courses were more cardio kick boxing because they didn't really correct us enough.

My fifth coach wasn't a pro fighter. He was a good correction coach and passionate but a terrible coach overall in my opinion. He didn't understand that some people aren't there to train for fighting. Like the older ladies, trying to get some cardio work because their kids are doing other classes. He didn't understand that everyone has a learning curve and different physical abilities. He came from a gym with reputation and he acted all battle harden.

Is it normal for a coach to be all macho man?

My coaches before him were all light hearted and fun.

Problem with macho coaches is they dont understand recovery. It makes sense that he was never a pro because if he was he would know how important it is to have a structured plan based on progressive overload so the athletes recover.

I had a macho coach in boxing who was never a pro and he acted like you have to kill yourself each session. Then later on I had a former world champion boxer and he understood technical side and the conditioning aspect.

Back