Machida toyed with Mousasi

Lyoto had his way with Gergard and beat him up good. Too bad Machida got old

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_8.gif

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_3.gif

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_4.gif

I don't remember it that way. Moose was coming off of a long layoff because of knee surgery and Machida couldn't do anything but eek out a decision.

All you need to know.

February 15, 2014, at the Arena Jaraguá in Jaraguá do Sul, Brazil.

I feel Lyoto's strikes were all clean while Gegard's looked messy and amatuerish.

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_8.gif

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_3.gif

Lyoto_Machida_vs._Gegard_Mousasi_4.gif
[/QUOTE]
I'm not debating who won the fight - yes machida won because of the cleaner shots.I have not denied that.I am saying that the fight was ALOT closer than what people were saying that night and as the fight wore on, Mousasi s jabs were starting to find there spot on the backpedaling machida.People are coming on and showing the 2 massive blows that Lyoto delivered---- that's great but it also shows the iron chin that Mousasi has as he ABSOLUTELY walked right threw those shots.You can't " toy" with someone when you get outstruck 66-35 unless those 35 shots showed it's damage on his opponent. Gegard hardly had a scratch on him and he was walking machida down for good part of fight so again my debate is with the title of thread which is ridiculous. I had Gegard razor thinly winning 1st round and winning 4th.Machida (even though he was outstruck almost 2-1) won 2nd,3rd and 5th in an entertaining and technical fight.

I've worked in a psych ward with patients less deluded than the mousasi fans posting in here.

<{clintugh}>

Machida showed every aspect of his fighting game in that one. His hands, knees, kicks, footwork, foot sweeps, and ground control were really wired tight for his first fight with Moose all those years ago. It's kinda crazy to see how much faster he was than everyone else in his prime, really. Moose was just a couple steps behind the whole fight and a big part of that was the massive speed discrepancy; the other half came from how insanely skilled and creative Lyoto was. I remember a lot of people hated on this fight after it went down but I've never understood that at all. For me, I see this as a technical battle done right.

But seriously, Machida's fast-twitch game was ridiculous!

Machida was one step ahead in the first fight. He got old in the rematch but still barely lost.

Respect to both though. Two larger than life characters with well earned fame.

Yes, he did. That's why when I see Mousasi in the "top 3" MW ever conversation I giggle a bit.

My goodness there is some enjoyable salt in this thread. You almost forget how ridiculous Mousasi's fans are. Machida was a better fighter in their prime, no question. Mousasi got ran over by Jacare in the rematch too. He's a good fighter, but that's where it ends.

Gegard got dummied even worse by prime Jacare.

He got beaten up in every aspect of that fight.

That version of Jacare was a nightmare. I can think of maybe 2 or 3 MW's all-time I'd favour over the guy that schooled Gegard so badly.

Yes, he did. That's why when I see Mousasi in the "top 3" MW ever conversation I giggle a bit.

Moose is still a damn good fighter but he has come up short against the best of the division so many times I can't understand that talk at all. He was on a nice tear there till Lovato beat him most recently. Would've had the Weidman victory in the bag too if he hadn't so egregiously fouled him and given Chris a way out. But no, he most certainly does not deserve to be in the MW GOAT talks.

Machida always had a questionable chin and relied on speed and reflexes for defence. Once that was gone he was half the fighter he used to be. I'm glad he went down to MW to give us this and the Weidman fight, plus a couple of impressive KOs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back