Machado Belts

ohyeah290

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How accredited is an Machado belt compared to anywhere else? My friend said they give them out like candy but I've also heard it's quite an accomplishment to receive one.

I know one guy who just got his Black Belt. It took him about 13 years. That's the only person I know first hand though. Maybe there are a few schools that give them out a little more easily.

Why on earth would you think a belt given out by a Machado brother would be non accredited? The Machado Bro's and the Gracies are basically the first people to bring BJJ to the US and the world.

I cant say for the other Machado brothers but I train under Carlos Machado and they have a set curriculum that you have to follow. One thing i do notice with him is that there are only 3 stripes on your belt compared to the standard 4 stripes that I see a lot of other schools have. (I mean I could be wrong there)

You have to put so many hours on the mat/attend so many classes before they even invite you to test etc.

In some instances they have given belts to guys in less time but only because they tapped higher belts legitimately.

I also know the instructors at most of the other schools around here and some of them give you a belt whenever they think you deserve it. So no time table at all.

The only thing I seem to see nowadays is that BJJ guys under the Machado's don't seem to be placing a lot in competitions but then again I am not in SoCal where a few of the brothers are adn don't follow the competition team there so I couldn't give an accurate account of that.

But looking at the top players currently in BJJ they either come from Gracie/Atos/Check Mat/Alliance etc.

Another thing the instructors in my area say is "Carlos Machado has the best instruction in Dallas period" Even though they own and instruct their own schools

I know they're accredited just that was the only word I could think of at the time. By that I meant just holding more weight than other gyms.

I've heard the opposite.. Machado lineage is some of the most respected in the sport.

especially JJ, Rigan, and Carlos...

Anyway, that's just what I've heard.. I've never trained with any of them.

I just don't think they give away belts. Trying not to be biased here because I train there but I also train at other schools and do not see anything that would lead me to believe they give belts away. AND trust me I would be the type of person to catch that real quick.

Sure do some guys not really deserve blue get a blue belt? Of course that happens mainly because they have put so much time on the mat just get beat by superior athletes that happen to be 6 month white belts.

If this is any indication, one of our purple belts is opening a school up outside Chicago IL and he is really really freakin good but STILL only a purple AND opening his own school.

Most purples in todays world do not open their own schools that is what happened in the mid 90s not so much anymore.

I just don't think they give away belts. Trying not to be biased here because I train there but I also train at other schools and do not see anything that would lead me to believe they give belts away. AND trust me I would be the type of person to catch that real quick.

Sure do some guys not really deserve blue get a blue belt? Of course that happens mainly because they have put so much time on the mat just get beat by superior athletes that happen to be 6 month white belts.

If this is any indication, one of our purple belts is opening a school up outside Chicago IL and he is really really freakin good but STILL only a purple AND opening his own school.

Most purples in todays world do not open their own schools that is what happened in the mid 90s not so much anymore.

Who and where?

They don't hand them out like candy. But they do award them to people who deserve them.

Back in the day, the Gracies hardly awarded black belts to anyone--no non-Brazilians until the 1990's. Some of the Gracies (like Rorion) even purposely withheld their good techniques from their students. How long has Rorion been teaching BJJ again? And how many of his students have earned black belts? Yeah...

The Machados were the first to really award black belts to their deserving students who were not part of the family and not even Brazilian. The list of the first twelve non-Brazilian BJJ black belts, aka the "Dirty Dozen," is testament to that, look how many of them are from Rigan Machado:

* Craig Kukuk (Renzo Gracie) - 1992
* Ken Gabrielson (Reylson Gracie) - 1992
* Rick Lucero (Rickson Gracie) - ?
* David Kama (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Chris Saunders (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Bob Bass (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Rick Williams (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Chris Haueter (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* David Meyer (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* Rick Minter (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* John Will (Rigan Machado) - 1998
* Roy Harris (Joe Moreira) - 1998

And those Machado black belts in turn have awarded a lot of black belts to their deserving students, so as a result there are a lot of Machado black belts out there.

Last edited:
How accredited is an Machado belt compared to anywhere else? My friend said they give them out like candy but I've also heard it's quite an accomplishment to receive one.

I trained with Carlos Machado for a brief time, and have many friends that still train with him, your friend is incorrect.

A Carlos Machado belt is what every other academy in Dallas compares their belts to. Though he does not put emphasis on tournaments.

p.s. This is a stupid thread. But I'm sure you are more than welcome to walk into Carlos' academy and see how the belts stack up :D

.... aka the "Dirty Dozen," is testament to that, look how many of them are from Rigan Machado:

* Craig Kukuk (Renzo Gracie) - 1992
* Ken Gabrielson (Reylson Gracie) - 1992
* Rick Lucero (Rickson Gracie) - ?
* David Kama (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Chris Saunders (Rickson Gracie) - 1995
* Bob Bass (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Rick Williams (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* Chris Haueter (Rigan Machado) - 1996
* David Meyer (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* Rick Minter (Rigan Machado) - 1997
* John Will (Rigan Machado) - 1998
* Roy Harris (Joe Moreira) - 1998

And those Machado black belts in turn have awarded a lot of black belts to their deserving students, so as a result there are a lot of Machado black belts out there.
The school I'm going to is a Rigan Machado school.

p.s. This is a stupid thread. But I'm sure you are more than welcome to walk into Carlos' academy and see how the belts stack up :D

Honestly I don't really see how it's a stupid thread. It's not only my friend I've heard that from. Although I've heard the exact opposite as well. Sorry I may not have worded things the right way though.

I'm just trying to clear that up for myself.

The school I'm going to is a Rigan Machado school.
Honestly I don't really see how it's a stupid thread.

No disrespect, but your a piss ant white belt questioning the belt integrity of the first family of jiu jitsu. It's doubtful you will even make blue and if you do, then you will know exactly what it took to get that blue. Why don't you try going to class ONCE before you worry about what people will think of your belt, that you don't have yet.

One thing i do notice with him is that there are only 3 stripes on your belt compared to the standard 4 stripes that I see a lot of other schools have. (I mean I could be wrong there)

I used to train at Carlos' until recently and when I was there, it was a 4-stripe system. Anyone that thinks that a Machado belt is BS is completely friggin' nuts, an idiot, or just parroting nonsensical hearsay.

No disrespect, but your a piss ant white belt questioning the belt integrity of the first family of jiu jitsu. It's doubtful you will even make blue and if you do, then you will know exactly what it took to get that blue. Why don't you try going to class ONCE before you worry about what people will think of your belt, that you don't have yet.

Awesome. More jackasses. I don't understand the hostility. I HAVE been to the clases. I've done no gi for quite the while as well as gi more so recently. I'm doing nothing more than dispelling things that I've HEARD. Never once said it was fact. GTFO if you have nothing constructive. It's like buying a car. You won't buy a car that you know nothing about. Someone says it's crap another says it's gold. I'm just wanting an opinion from someone who isn't biased (my friends) and that has actually trained at a Machado school. I have been going to one since last December and just switched to a Machado school recently.

Anyone that thinks that a Machado belt is BS is completely friggin' nuts, an idiot, or just parroting nonsensical hearsay.

Hence the reason I started this thread to find out for myself how it was.

Back