Mac and Cheese...wtf is the appeal?

honeychipotlebbqchicken-650x975.jpg

you eat it with this...

Nah. It's called mac and cheese. No one says cheesy noodles.

I say cheesy noodles.

Plenty of people fuck up mac & cheese. I've been to numerous restaurants and had a number of helpful memade versions that sucked badly. People often don't use sharp enough cheese, but think as long as they use more different kinds of cheese it will automatically be good.

One should be burned at the stake for fucking up Mac and Cheese. Good cheesy noodles are basically a religion here in the south.

The "good" mac and cheese recipes are carried by 1) quality cheese 2) slight crunch 3) slight textures added by the noddles. That's it, it's still a bad concept. I'd rather invest the cheese into a recipe that's more multidimensional. Already you could be making a dish like lemon zest pasta (al limone), using many of the same ingredients, but lifting the whole thing from the mud. Pasta alla zingara is amazing too.

Americans have no understanding of subtle flavour. All you know is salt, fat and sugar. But that's not your fault, papa England couldn't teach you what papa England doesn't even understand himself.

Americans are too busy winning to care about subtle flavors.

Like anything in life, the quality of the sample is what matters. Mac N Cheese from a box is garbage. Buy yourself some rigatoni, cook it al denté and then bake it with some mozzarella, white cheddar and parmesan with bread crumbs on top and you've got yourself a god damned hit.

If you really want to be a boss, mix in some roasted garlic, maybe some sausage or lobster, and a more high end cheese (manchego, goat cheese, etc).

This is exactly why I made the earlier post about adults deciding what they're supposed to like versus children telling you what they actually like. Mac and cheese from a box is garbage but Kraft alone sells 364 million boxes a year. Probably just as many store brands are sold.

Twice this week I made a pan of baked mac and cheese with two year aged extra sharp white cheddar, sautéed onions, blue cheese and pepper jack mixed with Velveeta. I put crushed saltines with butter on top. This is the appeal.

The "good" mac and cheese recipes are carried by 1) quality cheese 2) slight crunch 3) slight textures added by the noddles. That's it, it's still a bad concept. I'd rather invest the cheese into a recipe that's more multidimensional. Already you could be making a dish like lemon zest pasta (al limone), using many of the same ingredients, but lifting the whole thing from the mud. Pasta alla zingara is amazing too.

Americans have no understanding of subtle flavour. All you know is salt, fat and sugar. But that's not your fault, papa England couldn't teach you what papa England doesn't even understand himself.
Shut up frog.

I say cheesy noodles.

One should be burned at the stake for fucking up Mac and Cheese. Good cheesy noodles are basically a religion here in the south.

Americans are too busy winning to care about subtle flavors.
Where do you live, @jgarner ?

I love mac and cheese so much. Also this may sound disgusting to most of you but I love mac and cheese with ketchup. In fact tonight I had some with ketchup and it was delicious alongside a nice medium rare burger on the grill

Marconi casserole can be good. Mac and cheese is for kids.

Southern African American Mac n cheese is GOAT and looks completely different. I'm to lazy to find a picture but we bake our MnC some use breadcrumbs. That box shit is good with some Vienna sausages.
baked mac n cheese is definitely not just some black thing dude lol. but yeah, thats the only type of mac n cheese i make/eat. so good

There's two distinct types of mac n cheese. Type A. Made with a proper bechamel sauce and some decent mature cheddar. Type B. The fluorescent yellow stuff that's made with "cheese".

both types are great.

This is exactly why I made the earlier post about adults deciding what they're supposed to like versus children telling you what they actually like. Mac and cheese from a box is garbage but Kraft alone sells 364 million boxes a year. Probably just as many store brands are sold.
I get the point you are making but I'd say cheapness and ease of preparation are just as big of factors as taste in the 364 million boxes sold.

And we're talking about Mac n cheese here not exactly like he's adding truffles n shit to it just mixed things up with the cheeses and pasta type

Never had american Mac n Cheese...but in Switzerland we make Älpler Makkaroni und I love it.

163052-960x720-schweizer-aelpler-maccharonen.jpg

Mac & Cheese is a canvas just waiting for a master.

Eat a dick TS

I love mac and cheese so much. Also this may sound disgusting to most of you but I love mac and cheese with ketchup. In fact tonight I had some with ketchup and it was delicious alongside a nice medium rare burger on the grill

Was it dijon ketchup?

The Irish pub below me makes lobster mac and cheese. It's amazing.

Back