Mac and Cheese...wtf is the appeal?

The $0.33 boxes from Aldi aren't the best, but when made from scratch it is fantastic! Throw in smoked gouda, extra sharp cheddar, and Jarlsberg while finishing it off when breadcrumbs and parmigiano reggiano.

It really is gross. I had for the first time on thanksgiving. My brother in law made it. It had bacon, jalapeño and three types of cheese, so I thought this will be awesome. First few bites I was like meh, it's kinda gross. I simply didn't like the texture.

Oldest member I've seen on here.

But yeah, people like it because it's tasty.

it's either this guy, or that artoffighting guy who also joined sometime in 12/01.

If you've ever had great baked Mac n cheese you'd know how dumb this thread is

Not a huge fan of Mac and cheese. When I had three teeth removed I needed to eat soups and extremely soft food for a week or so. So I got some Kraft mac and cheese and I was actually surprised how good it was. Also had some Chef Boyarde chilli mac or whatever it's called and that shit was good to.

I used to eat that stuff all the time daily but now I don't like eating shit out of a can or box like that. I cut all that stuff out.

High end steak houses usually have really good Mac n cheese as a side you can order for the table to share.

You need the breadcrumbs on top for the texture and crunch. That's what makes a good Mac n cheese imo

So this is just a basic meal, that i have tried once, but i find it amazing that Americans think this is some holy grail of food when it just combines a few basic ingrediants into a dish.

Is it just poor Americans who do this?

Irs actually a ready meal where i come from and i dont think i have ever seen anyone other than me eat it

image_1860.jpg

It's nearly impossible to fuck up cheesy noodles. People love noodles. People love cheese. So people also love cheese on noodles.
Plenty of people fuck up mac & cheese. I've been to numerous restaurants and had a number of helpful memade versions that sucked badly. People often don't use sharp enough cheese, but think as long as they use more different kinds of cheese it will automatically be good.

I bet @Cint s mom can cook up some mean mac n cheese. Next time i see her @Cint , im gonna have her cook me up a vat of some southern mac n cheese.

So this is just a basic meal, that i have tried once, but i find it amazing that Americans think this is some holy grail of food when it just combines a few basic ingrediants into a dish.

Irs actually a ready meal where i come from and i dont think i have ever seen anyone other than me eat it

It's culinary gold when it's prepared right...

tenor.gif

Plenty of people fuck up mac & cheese. I've been to numerous restaurants and had a number of helpful memade versions that sucked badly. People often don't use sharp enough cheese, but think as long as they use more different kinds of cheese it will automatically be good.

Yes, it takes an arrogant chef to fuck up mac and cheese. They use larger pasta, overcook it so it turns to mush and use things like goat cheese. While adults can convince themselves that they like something because they're supposed to, kids won't do that. They give an honest assessment of the taste.

Do Europeans literally just sit around all day thinking up American things to complain about?

Southern African American Mac n cheese is GOAT and looks completely different. I'm to lazy to find a picture but we bake our MnC some use breadcrumbs. That box shit is good with some Vienna sausages.

Hmmm.. all these times eating baked mac n cheese made in Canada by white people I didn't realize I was eating Southern African American cuisine...

I have had it only once. I didn't like it. But maybe the person who prepared it messed up. I'll try it again at some point.

It's pretty hard to not like good Mac and Cheese. It's funny that people in this thread call it a "quick meal" as my Mac and Cheese takes roughly 45 minutes to make. Start with a good roux of real butter and flour, then add in some buttermilk, and allow those flavors to marry for a bit. Then start tossing in some good cheese ; I'm a big fan of high quality American cheddar mixed with a white chipotle cheddar. Let it all melt together and allow it to thicken (over medium heat) to your desired texture. Add salt / black pepper / red pepper to desired heat. Mix in noodles and you're ready to go... but the sauce takes a good 40 minutes or so. Simple, but a bit time consuming, and it's such a good meal.

So yeah... give it another try with high quality ingredients and I think you'll find it's a great meal.

LOL it cost 99 cents for a box of it... wtf are u talking about, holy grail,lol
Here it cost $3 a box ): more if you want the special kinds, like spicy or extra cheese etc. Poverty life never been so hard man!!!

Oh

Southern African American Mac n cheese is GOAT and looks completely different. I'm to lazy to find a picture but we bake our MnC some use breadcrumbs. That box shit is good with some Vienna sausages.
Yep. There's the box shit, and then there's the homemade dope shit.
Im half black and my grandma makes the dopest macNcheese around. .usually around Thanksgiving and Xmas time.

Back