M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS (Dragonlord's Review)

If you have seen GLASS, how would you rate it?

• Total voters

Dragonlordxxxxx

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Update: January 17, 2019

Dragonlord’s Review of M. Night Shyamalan's GLASS
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: M. Night Shyamalan disappointingly ruins the exciting cinematic universe he created with a silly story, some clumsy dialogue, stupid character decisions and going in a different, slightly boring direction instead of what the audience wanted.

gMBtuUC.jpg

Representing one of M. Night Shyamalan’s best work, Unbreakable was a slow-burn, suspenseful realistic superhero thriller that was narrated brilliantly with unpredictable twists and turns. Split was a come-out-of-nowhere highly-entertaining horror thriller that signaled M. Night’s potential comeback. Despite the exciting prospect of seeing the return of David Dunn (Bruce Willis) going up against a supernatural serial killer in the Horde (James McAvoy), Glass shatters audience’s expectations and goes off in a totally different and slightly boring direction.

There’s no proper build-up between the confrontation between David and the Horde/the Beast. There’s no variation of a tense cat-and-mouse chase, the two just go at it in the first ten minutes. Glass is in a rush to put these two in the mental hospital where majority of the movie takes place and where I am constantly infuriated upon seeing how impractical and stupid the mental institution’s security methods and protocols are. It does not help that the head shrink Dr. Ellie Staple (Sarah Paulson) is annoying with her way of thinking and the way she talks.

McAvoy again shines with his multiple personality performance but the scene where most of Kevin’s personalities come out in rapid succession felt too gimmicky. Kevin’s character works best when the 4-5 prominent personalities are given screen time.

Enjoying a reprieve from slumming the straight-to-video market, Willis is enjoyable as the likable Dunn but the movie just doesn’t give him too much to do. Samuel L. Jackson as the titular character is very entertaining when he finally breaks free from his catatonic state and we see him outsmart everybody (even if it’s up against the world’s lousiest security institution). Anya Taylor-Joy returns as Casey Cooke looks absolutely lovely but some of her actions are perplexingly questionable and her role in here seemed forced.

Rounding up my thoughts: West Dylan Thordson’s score was good. The film was surprisingly tame, meaning it lacked the edge, the uneasiness, the disturbing images from the previous two installments. The meta subtext and dialogue were clumsily handled and occasionally cheesy. The secret organization’s meetings at the end were so dumb and laughable. The ending was a major disappointment (see spoiler box below). There is no post-credit scene.

Rating: 6/10

WARNING: SPOILER THOUGHTS AND MUSINGS BELOW.

Super sucks that a stupid secret anti-superheroes organization killed David and Kevin and in such underwhelming and meaningless way also. I am okay with Kevin dying but killing off David sucks big time.

The secret anti-superhero organization’s meeting is so impractical and extremely stupid. Instead of meeting in their own secret lair or just even rent a private conference room, they meet in a very public and packed restaurant or lounge and they wait until the last of the patrons leave before they start their meetings.

The clover tattoos as the secret organization's symbol felt like M. Night didn't give it a lot of thought.

Clover = Cloverfield. Hmmm...

When they introduced the plot of Mr. Glass and the Horde trying to blow up the Osaka Tower and David has to stop them, the thought of the showdown happening in public had me getting excited. Shame that it didn’t happen. They would have needed an extra $10 million in their budget to pull that scene off though (Glass’ budget is only $20 million).

Update: April 26, 2017

M. Night Shyamalan Announces UNBREAKABLE and SPLIT Sequel Titled GLASS

unbreakable-2.jpg

After 17 years, M. Night Shyamalan is finally delivering a proper sequel to Unbreakable.

The writer-director announced the news Wednesday on Twitter after months of teasing a new script he's been writing. He revealed the film is called Glass, and that Bruce Willis (David Dunn) and Samuel L. Jackson (Mr. Glass) will return. Universal will release the film Jan. 18, 2019.

"It’s taken 17 years but I can finally answer the #1 question I get, 'Are you making a f#&@ing sequel to Unbreakable or what?' " he tweeted. "My new film is the sequel to #Unbreakable AND #Split. It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film."

Unbreakable, which Shyamalan released in 2000 one year after skyrocketing to stardom with The Sixth Sense, deconstructed the superhero genre and remains one of his best-reguarded works.

Shyamalan is coming off a hot streak, with his latest movie, Split, earning more than $275 million worldwide on a $9 million budget. He has been tweeting progress on a Split follow-up for several months. His 2015 found-footage film The Visit was also a box-office hit and well-liked by critics.

[Warning: Spoilers for Split below]

Split starred James McAvoy as a kidnapper with multiple personalities and Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, one of the young women who must fight to survive his capture.

With Split, Shyamalan pulled off perhaps his greatest twist yet.

A last-minute cameo from Willis revealed that Split is set in the same universe as Unbreakable. In January, Shyamalan revealed to Heat Vision that Split villain Kevin Wendle Crumb (McAvoy) was actually included in his first drafts of Unbreakable, but had to be cut out. He also revealed he was hoping to write and direct a third film that would characters from both films.

Shyamalan revealed Wednesday that both McAvoy and Taylor-Joy will return for Glass. Here's the logline Universal has released: "Following the conclusion of SPLIT, GLASS finds Dunn pursuing Crumb’s superhuman figure of The Beast in a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...alan-confirms-sequel-unbreakable-split-997515

I don't like the name he picked.

Not so sure he had that vision 17+ years ago.

I believe Split is a bit overrated.. don't get me wrong good movie, fun atmosphere but it ain't the 'second coming'.

Fuck, I guess that means Lady in the Water 2 isn't happening anytime soon.

I love Unbreakable and I really enjoyed Split, so I'm very excited about this crossover sequel.

877.gif

He should tie it in with more properties and call it the ILLAGE.

Glass?....Or they all going to be tweaked out on film?

Never saw Split - never even heard of it until this thread actually - but I never understood the Unbreakable love. That movie was boring as shit to me.

I can see it being a flop already...

M Night could honestly put the 6th Sense kid in this Universe and it would make sense. He has a power too and could work with Willis' character to fight Glass and Kevin.

Back