Luke Rockhold says that move to the LHW division is imminent. How does he fare against the top guys?

His striking defense and glass chin will cause him to struggle at LHW

Puke is a turd but he would be champ when DC walks away. I think he presents some very interesting challenges to Jones if he ever comes back clean.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/2/...ieves-moving-to-light-heavyweight-is-imminent

Assuming he never fights DC, I think he would be competitive with Gus and beat decisively Volkan, Manuwa, etc. Would love to see him grappling with Jones. Thoughts?

He would have the stuffing beat out of him by Gus. That’s literally his worst match-up possible. A guy with good grappling himself, is long, has decent kicking/knee’s, and is a very good boxer (for MMA standards anyway). While Luke is long and can kick, everytime he does, Gus would try to counter with a punch. And Gus can take a shot much better than Luke.

Him vs JBJ might seem like it’d be closer by that comparison, since Jon isn’t a big puncher, but, good luck outgrappling him. I think he’s pretty phoney, he goes from the nice guy to bad guy too often for my liking, but, there is no denying his talent. He’s got range, size, speed, power. Another pretty bad match-up.

He’d def do better vs Volkan and Manuwa but if either of those guys land, he’s toast. I guess thats the same for most of the rest of 205. He has technical skills better than most, but, not sure he’s ready for the power while not having tons himself.

He'd be top 5 for sure. He could get the belt, under the right circumstances.

Rockhold/Jones has long been on my wish list
Now Rockhold/Gus is too.

Both tough but winnable fights for him, imo. Wouldn't pick him though...

Last edited:
He is a tall guy with reach, let's say he adds 15 pounds of pure muscle, mass with class. I'm sure he'll go places.

No more size/reach advantage combined with shit striking defense and a chin that spread for pillow fist bisping?

He dead

There' not fighter that makes me cringe more then Luke rockhold when he speaks. He sounds like he goes home looks in the mirror and just thinks of one liners that sound cool to him. When he actually says them out loud in public it's like watching a bad movie like sharknado except this guy is serious when he says this shit

And dumb hand gestures

Somewhere in the top 10
Against the top guys:

Gus murks him. Gus's TDD held up pretty well against Jones and DC, and Luke will lose his length advantage. Not to mention that Gus has power.

Jones/Rockhold would be a once in a lifetime match on the ground. I NEED to see this. GOAT P4P top control vs. Jones's grappling skill. Jones takes it IMO.

Oezdemir KOs Luke 60% of the time, with Luke getting on top and winning the other 40%. I believe in Volkan's ability to improve, though, so in a few years Oezdemir should be able to murk Luke.

But who knows, he could be another RDA.
Oezdemir had some good shots on DC before he started gassing.

Last edited:
Really? Shogun? lol, that is one of the fights where I would pick Rockhold 100% of the time.
With Rockhold's chin, Shogun would need 1 shot. From either hand.

Rockhold can only win on the ground (which I doubt), or a decision. 15-25 mins is a long time, I think Shogun finds his chin.

If he can get by Gus and assuming Rumble does not return to LHW, he will be champion for a long time. The division is stale and almost dead right now.

Gus is a tough fight for him and anyone else. Look how hard he pushed Jon Jones and DC into the deeper end of the pool when he fought them.

With Rockhold's chin, Shogun would need 1 shot. From either hand.

Rockhold can only win on the ground (which I doubt), or a decision. 15-25 mins is a long time, I think Shogun finds his chin.
You don't think Rockhold's kicks would hurt Shogun? He has a nasty liver kick which I think would finish Shogun pretty quickly.

Dc said Luke can't beat him so he's probably not on that level but he's real good

~DaViD~

Back