Luke Rockhold Likely Next Grappling Opponent for Jon Jones

Assuming it happens, who wins?

• Total voters
D

Drake

<mma4>

Time stamped

If that match would tell us anything it's how Luke would fare at LHW. I like that match up.

ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

jones+judo+trip+bonnar.gif

Jones via eye poke.

That's actually well worth watching and most grappling matches aren't particularly exciting for me. Rockhold is extremely good on the ground.

Jones by malicious technique <{yearp}>

Rockhold is very savy on the ground but I can't see anyone beating Jones.

Jones via getting Rockhold pregnant and then breaking his arm.

Luke has a nice flowing grappling game but he's by far a top player. His TDs are also pretty subpar which should be apparent to anyone's that's watched his career.

He does good work scrambling off of a single or double leg attempt from his opponent but Jones heavily flavors clinch TDs which provide less opportunities for Luke here.

It should be fun to watch but I can't see Rockhold dictating the bout considering those and the strength disadvantage. If it goes to sudden death(if it's the same promotion as last time) then it could go either way.

Jones is a better wrestler but Rockhold is a much better submission grappler. I see Rockhold taking that.

While I think Jones takes it due to his size, not to say he's not incredibly skilled, but Rockhold's grappling is phenomenal. I would pay to see this.

Luke has a nice flowing grappling game but he's by far a top player. His TDs are also pretty subpar which should be apparent to anyone's that's watched his career.

He does good work scrambling off of a single or double leg attempt from his opponent but Jones heavily flavors clinch TDs which provide less opportunities for Luke here.

It should be fun to watch but I can't see Rockhold dictating the bout considering those and the strength disadvantage. If it goes to sudden death(if it's the same promotion as last time) then it could go either way.

His takedowns are definitely mediocre, but there has been a lot of talk about him having crazy potential in pure BJJ had he really focused on it instead of MMA. Jacare had absolutely no luck with him when Jacare was in top position. Nor did Kennedy or Weidman. He absolutely crushed Machida and Weidman from top position, as well. He's a very talented grappler. However, you're right, getting any kind of advantageous position on Jones because of the wrestling differential is hard to see.

His takedowns are definitely mediocre, but there has been a lot of talk about him having crazy potential in pure BJJ had he really focused on it instead of MMA. Jacare had absolutely no luck with him when Jacare was in top position. Nor did Kennedy or Weidman. He absolutely crushed Machida and Weidman from top position, as well. He's a very talented grappler. However, you're right, getting any kind of advantageous position on Jones because of the wrestling differential is hard to see.

That's true about his bottom game. It is def. quite good in its own right. Highlighting that he's a top player was more about the probability of sweeps and attacks of his own from his back.

Back