Luis Ortiz-Bermane Stiverne in Line For WBC Eliminator

MMALOPEZ

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
The recent fallout of Alexander Povetkin has now placed Luis Ortiz (27-0-2, 23 KOs) is position for a final WBC world title eliminator - if he decides to go in that direction. Ortiz is already the WBA's mandatory challenger to the upcoming fight between Anthony Joshua and Wladimir Klitschko, which takes place on April 29 at Wembley.

There is no guarantee that Ortiz will get the winner, as the IBF has also mandated the winner of that contest to face Kubrat Pulev. With Povetkin's removal from the rankings, Ortiz is now ranked in the number two position and Stiverne sits at one. Stiverne was scheduled to face Alexander Povetkin last December in a final WBC eliminator to get a shot at world champion Deontay Wilder.

The morning of the fight, it was revealed that Povetkin had tested positive for a banned substance and the entire fight fell apart when the WBC withdrew their sanction. Because of Povetkin's failed drug test, Stiverne tried to petition for a mandatory shot at Wilder - but the WBC denied his request. He was told that final eliminator was necessary to secure a mandatory shot. As far as Povetkin, the WBC is planning to issue a decision in a week, according to sanctioning body president Mauricio Sulaiman..

Last Thursday it was revealed that Povetkin's B-sample was also positive for ostarin. "At the moment, he is excluded from the rankings," Sulaiman said. "The decision on the case will come down in a week." Povetkin is trying to fight the exclusion, but it doesn't look good as he also tested positive for his planned May 2016 title fight with Wilder, and that fight was canceled a week before the event was scheduled to go down. At 37 years old - a long suspension from the WBC could potentially end Povetkin's career. Wilder is making a voluntary defense on February 25th, against undefeated Gerald Washington. - See more at: http://www.boxingscene.com/luis-ort...e-wbc-eliminator--113342#sthash.RKODz3AI.dpuf

Aside from Stiverne being ranked #1 by anyone, this is mostly good news. Stiverne-Ortiz is a halfway decent fight, and the Joshua-Klitshko winner versus either Ortiz or Pulev is a very good matchup.

I'm not familiar enough with them, who's better: Stiverne or Pulev?

Pulev is better imo but I won't go there

Looking at their recent activity he should go for Pulev.

Looks like wilder will have to give up his belt if Ortiz wins then, after his stance against ex drugs cheats?

LOL WBC and Wilder, what a paper champ. Ummm, well, I guess Stiverne Ortiz will be a good fight. However, Stiverne has weight problems, and despite having the best jab in the division, he will likely struggle against King Kong. I'd watch it.

Back