Luis Gomez wins via faceplant Ippon Seoinage KO for second time

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
We rarely see shoulder throws hit in MMA. This guy's done it twice now!

With that arm spin you don’t even get a chance to roll over the guy’s back. It’s more like a filthy snap-down.

- Thats Solid! Would rate be the one receiving that!

.....Seoi Otoshi.....?

Splitting hairs?.....

Sry!.....

With that arm spin you don’t even get a chance to roll over the guy’s back. It’s more like a filthy snap-down.

What makes his arm spin different? My impression was that the dude who got his face smashed tried to resist the throw instead of letting himself go over. I'm not an expert though.

Love underarm spins (especially from Russian tie up) but the most I’ve ever done was break someone’s posture and take their back. That’s pretty impressive what he’s doing.

What makes his arm spin different? My impression was that the dude who got his face smashed tried to resist the throw instead of letting himself go over. I'm not an expert though.

With an arm spin, instead of squaring up with the guy and launching him over your back, you tend to keep turning further and escape your hips while your head stays under. The effect is less of a launching throw (like judo) and more a violent snap-down against the underhook, with little lift. Like so.

With an arm spin, instead of squaring up with the guy and launching him over your back, you tend to keep turning further and escape your hips while your head stays under. The effect is less of a launching throw (like judo) and more a violent snap-down against the underhook, with little lift. Like so.

Was the thrower in the fight doing the arm spin differently than the one in the instructional video, leading to his opponent's face planting against their will, or was it a technical error on the opponent's side?

It’s hard to roll through unless you know it’s coming. You get way less of a smooth launch and rotation, with more of a chop down to the mat.

So in the vid he rolls them through, but in practice it’s more of a snap down effect.

Opponent doesn't know high level Ukemi.

Even if your brain registers "I'm fucked" your subconscious is reacting to rotate over......Now one of my old guard coaches was all salty about the new Olympic generation puting their arm out wnd twisting out of Ippon and not taking or learning exceptional Ukemi, so this kid could have been fucked anyway.

You have to stick to Tori and rotate right under his shoulder to get your head and neck protected and absorb the impact lower in your body. Super tough Ukemi when someone is wailing on you. And if your a MMA fighter like this guy? U r toast!

Kinda weird walking around knowing you could do that to 99% of the public on pavement.

Dude tried to resist the throw but was to late and/or not strong enough and he paid the price.

For the arm spin, it helps to think of it as a bit less flipping the guy over your back, and a bit more spinning yourself under him, to create the situation where you are behind him in arm drag/climb-behind position. You are still jerking him, and if it launches him that's fine, but the aim is more about sticking him in place for that moment, and adding more force to your own movement.

Ironically, i'd say it'd actually be easier to faceplant guys with the snapdown in this manner, than by trying to 'properly' back flip them for epoon.

Last edited:
I agree with Zankou, it's a snapdown disguised as a hip throw. Great to know the 1st one wasn't luck.

He spent time overseas training with this chick

Looks like he hit him with a little Puerto Rican judo.

At least it was not a PR shower
guy-laroche-drakkar-noir-poster-2-600x600_0.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like he hit him with a little Puerto Rican judo.

Back