Lucien Carbin Thread

shincheckin

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
HI guys, so I wanted to try and get a thread going regarding Lucien Carbin and his "all style"

As I think we all know by now, I am a fan of karate, specifically kyokushin, and I believe it is a great base and starting point for Muay Thai. Funny enough if you read about Lucien Carbin, you will see that he has a background in kyokushin, and says/thinks the same exact thing....that kyokushin is a good foundation for thaiboxing.
Link: https://muay-thai-guy.com/lucien-carbin.html

Anyways, something that specifically interests me in regards to lucien carbins style, is this quoted below:

MTG: Something I’ve noticed is that your fighters do not always fully rotate into roundhouse kicks (mawashi geri) like Thais do. Why do you prefer that method?

CARBIN: It depends. We have three types of roundhouse kick: One to prepare for the punch after; one to kick on the arm (like the Thais do); one to change the angle of the kick.

MTG: Does that shorter roundhouse kick make it easier for your fighter to punch immediately after?

CARBIN: Yes. With one roundhouse kick, our hips are going back; with the other, they’re going forward. It depends on the follow-up technique.

So I would like to discuss his 3 types of kicks, get your guys input, possibly some videos of the different types being demonstrated, etc.

1) One to prepare for the punch after: I dont have a very hard time understanding this one, it seems to me, rather than fully rotating the hip, you use more of a flicky type karate kick as a distraction, to setup your punch. The punch being easier to follow up after the kick, due to the hip not being fully rotated. This is how I am thinking of this kick.

2) one to kick on the arm (like the Thais do); I got this one down already lol.

3) one to change the angle of the kick: This one one I am not understanding, I have some ideas in my head but not sure if they are correct. Is it a changing the angle of a kick kinda like Saenchai does. Or is it changing the angle of the kick to land with your feet in a different angle, to change the angle and position of yourself after the kick is thrown? Hopefully someone that is more experienced with Carbins style can chime in.

I like his flow that he get going on the guys he trained from day one. Like tyrone spong.

I think his style is best for semi in fighting. Not fully clinch. Just outside. Double guard against double guard at close range.

I like his flow that he get going on the guys he trained from day one. Like tyrone spong.

I think his style is best for semi in fighting. Not fully clinch. Just outside. Double guard against double guard at close range.

yeah more kickboxing than MT style for sure. IMO a more kickboxing style is better on the outside, but it sacrifices the clinch. pros and cons to everything. basically just said the same thing as you but in different words lol

So I am still wanting to start a discussion on his kicking techniques though.

hmmm, for entertainment value, they bring that to MT, but I find dutch, KK, etc better suited to MMA striking compared to MT

He gave a 3 hour Dutch kickboxing block at the last CSA coaches clinic. The stuff he showed was weird- switching stances, big winding punches. It was fun to try it though. I forget the woman’s name who was there assisting him but she was a fucking killer with a great record and could really crack. I’ll find some video I took and post it in the F11 coaches Facebook group.

She was also the second most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life. (Number 1 is my girlfriend. Love you sweetie, stop back tracing me)

He gave a 3 hour Dutch kickboxing block at the last CSA coaches clinic. The stuff he showed was weird- switching stances, big winding punches. It was fun to try it though. I forget the woman’s name who was there assisting him but she was a fucking killer with a great record and could really crack. I’ll find some video I took and post it in the F11 coaches Facebook group.

She was also the second most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life. (Number 1 is my girlfriend. Love you sweetie, stop back tracing me)

i agree with you, this is her, i follower her IG. I saw her post a video of herself at that CSA seminar recently.

So the information I am looking for regarding this thread, is his 3 types of kicks, more specifically just 2 of them as 1 is the standard thai kick. his other 2 kicks are 1 to setup the punch, and another to change the angle of the kick. I do not understand this change the angle of the kick, kick?

i agree with you, this is her, i follower her IG. I saw her post a video of herself at that CSA seminar recently.

So the information I am looking for regarding this thread, is his 3 types of kicks, more specifically just 2 of them as 1 is the standard thai kick. his other 2 kicks are 1 to setup the punch, and another to change the angle of the kick. I do not understand this change the angle of the kick, kick?

He might of gone into it in detail, when I get home I’ll see what I can find. That is definitely her- but alas our love was not to be. We came from two different worlds and she also has no clue who I am or cared to return my goofy smiles when she came by to correct and politely shit on my technique.

hmmm, for entertainment value, they bring that to MT, but I find dutch, KK, etc better suited to MMA striking compared to MT

exactly, Bang Muay Thai success in MMA is a great example of that. although its muay thai, i think most people relate bang MT and duane ludwig with MMA rather than MT. But I dont think duane ever fougth mma? i know he fought MT.

anyways, the more "kickboxy" you get, the harder it is to clinch, but kickboxy is better on the outside than MT. The more MT you get, the easier to clinch, but its less effective on the outside. This is just my opinion but.........chike lindsay vs yodsanklai is a great example of how the kickboxy style is more effective on the outside. Chike had alot less experience, and was winning the fight, until he decided to clinch with yod. I think if he would have stuck to the outside he could have won.

He might of gone into it in detail, when I get home I’ll see what I can find. That is definitely her- but alas our love was not to be. We came from two different worlds and she also has no clue who I am or cared to return my goofy smiles when she came by to correct and politely shit on my technique.

she gave me a like on IG, but didnt follow back <Lmaoo>

yeah man if you can fidn that info for me that will be great dude

she gave me a like on IG, but didnt follow back <Lmaoo>

yeah man if you can fidn that info for me that will be great dude
To quote one of the other coaches who was at the clinic at the time, “somewhere out there in the world is a guy who is getting sick of her shit.”

Last edited:
Oh cool, didn't know this thread was a thing.

In order to clarify, when I did that interview I didn't press the angle change kick because it wasn't what I was looking to find out about that day. But you're actually misunderstanding. It is partly a translation error on my part - English isn't Lucien's first language.

What he actually meant was 'a kick from a different angle' so throwing a round kick at a slightly different angle/trajectory to what his guys would normally do. When the dutch speak English they often translate exactly, so they say things like 'make a low kick' for example. That's what you're misunderstanding there. He isn't saying 'kick to change the angle' he means a kick from a different angle.

At the time I didn't think anything of it, it was the first interview I conducted, but in hindsight I probably should have translated it a little better, but I didn't want to run the risk of putting words in his mouth.

I would also say that Lucien's style has far more in common with muay thai than it does most dutch kickboxing, the flows make it look more different than it actually is but when you see his guys fighting, they don't tend to move quite like that (save for Andy Ristie)

Lots of long teeps from Priscilla, doesn't engage tons with the hands (hard to find a fight of her where she does)

Also contrast a very young, thin, Tyrone Spong here when he was under Carbin's tutelage to the monster puncher he would later become.

When I think of Lucien Carbin guys, I think of guys with good use of linear leg strikes, teeps, front kicks, knees, often loopy punches, but the ability to punch OFF of those kicks in ways that a less orthodox and far more resemble the sort of kick into punch techniques that you see in Thailand.

In terms of Tyrone Spong, I think we saw him develop into a somewhat more traditional dutch style (although I would say he had far more pure boxing than dutch punching in his arsenal) and given even with Carbin's less handsy style, Spong was still catching people cold with punches I think he made the right choice in prioritising them. Obviously, Carbin's style was very efficient but I don't know if I think it's the style for more punch oriented guys.

Back