Lowkicks video

What style is your partner from? Either he's from a different style or is shying away from contact when kicking because he keeps pulling his foot when landing the kick. It's more apparent when he kicks with the left side.

He is a karate guy. Not sure what style. Not kyokusin or shotokan. I think it was wado ryu or shito ryu.

I dont remember.

Trying to reach him to do propper lowkick.

How did his kick feel to you? Because I just thought he was doing the Cerrone thing of bending the leg to make it easier to retract.

It felt snappy. Like he tried to do a snap roundhouse bodykick to the legs.

He got very fast non telegraphed body and headkick.

Now i gonna teach him how to lowkick.

I will not mess with his mid and high kick by trying to make them thai.

How did his kick feel to you? Because I just thought he was doing the Cerrone thing of bending the leg to make it easier to retract.

I love Cowboy but his low kicks always look weird to me...maybe it's the bent leg thing but not sure.

If you watch this vid above and the one Frode posted, it doesn't look his training partner is doing the same thing if that's what you are referring to (bringing the leg back bent to get back into guard quicker). I've seen some Thais do what I think you're talking about to get back into stance quicker, instead of bringing the leg back in a long arc.

Always wondered if Cerrone's bent leg on the low kicks was a flexibility issue but it doesn't seem like it since is body kicks look more normal.

BrilliantSecondhandErmine.gif

Looks like he tried something like this. But without putting the weight into the kick.

BrilliantSecondhandErmine.gif

Looks like he tried something like this. But without putting the weight into the kick.

I can see that. But what's the point of using a shield if he's not going to put weight into the kick? You both may as well use shin guards and just drill light kicks into each other's legs if that's the case.

Experience. Or lack of it. His lowkick experience comes from katas and karate style padwork.

He got so many great tools like quick footwork, timing and awareness of distanse.

But lowkicking is somewhat new to him. Same with defense against a puncher that means business.

He is very easy to coach. So i think he will do good.

The king of low kicks super heavy kicks and punches

A masterful kicker and puncher speed mixed with power like Tyson

Last edited:
He is fast and weak because he messes up the kinetic linking by turning his upper body into the kick, tell him that his leg needs to lag behind his hips/body. Hes doing it all at the same time.

Also he may have poor control of his hips which will always result in light strikes and a "fast" weak turn, with no lag

Last edited:
this is great Frode, I am looking forward to that kicking demo of all those different low kicks you know.

I love Cowboy but his low kicks always look weird to me...maybe it's the bent leg thing but not sure.

If you watch this vid above and the one Frode posted, it doesn't look his training partner is doing the same thing if that's what you are referring to (bringing the leg back bent to get back into guard quicker). I've seen some Thais do what I think you're talking about to get back into stance quicker, instead of bringing the leg back in a long arc.

Always wondered if Cerrone's bent leg on the low kicks was a flexibility issue but it doesn't seem like it since is body kicks look more normal.

He not only uses chambered low kicks but chambered low kicks at CLOSE range, you try doing that and youll end up with spaz kicks like his too, try it then ull see. Theres just not enough room at that range to do them properly.

Last edited:
Back