Low Recruit Discipline Prompts Army to Redesign Basic Training

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by alanb, Feb 10, 2018.

1. MacDuffle

MacDuffle Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card

Learn what patriotism means

Triggered by your own population's diversity is pretty sad

You should rethink how cool you think that looks on you

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  2. usmctanker242

usmctanker242 Red Belt

You can say whatever you choose, but I don't want somebody putting your words in my mouth, regardless of what they are. I don't have an issue with what you said but I didn't write those words so I shouldn't be criticized for them.

3. Mark Cutting

Mark Cutting Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card Yellow Card Banned

[​IMG]

My old fellow range coach at Edson Range

4. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Infinity Belt Platinum Member

What could possibly go wrong?:)

images.duckduckgo.com.jpg

5. PainIsLIfe

PainIsLIfe Gold Belt

I always felt that we "lost" (note I'd say we didn't win) Nam because of several factors, namely we tried to force our way of life on a country that didn't want it; Constantly overthrowing South Vietnamese leaders that we had installed in the first place; and general lack of support for the war.

But none of that addresses the issue that on avg American kids are falling behind (or believed to be) their Asian counterparts in many areas of education.

6. livingdeadmoose

livingdeadmoose Silver Belt

There is a discipline issue. We need to stop caring about sensitivity and let the drill sergeants do their job.

usmctanker242 likes this.
  7. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

Doesn't South Korea and a lot of European countries still have military academies for high school aged kids if they want?

Hell, SK still has compulsory service.

Also....

"Fuck, is he crying?"
    "No he's not crying... he's just nervous is all"
    *Captain America spazzing out
    "Fuck it, he's crying"

8. KnightTemplar

KnightTemplar Infinity Belt Platinum Member

Dude, can you imagine the reaction if The Donald anounced something like this? The internet would break under the weight of all the Trumpjergund memes:)

9. Gregolian

Any political forum would collapse.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  10. livingdeadmoose

This and we have waaaay to many kids joining for college benefits. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for education and I will be started on classes soon, but a lot of these benefits suckers have no sense of duty or discipline. Same with a lot of these girls that got knocked up in high school and only see the military as a way to make ends meet. They are some of the worst soldiers I’ve ever met.

MacDuffle likes this.
  11. Gregolian

Isn't this a bit of a double edged sword in a way? Even public colleges are expensive as fuck so some people see this as their only option to GET to college because schools don't highlight trades nearly as much as they probably should. Shit like welding, carpentry and other things aren't glamorous by any means but almost ALL pay pretty damn good wages and don't have the money sink of college.

KnightTemplar likes this.
  12. Renard

Renard Brown Belt

You can find quotes from Aristotle and Hesiod about how the Greek youth are becoming more and more entitled, disrespectful and irresponsible.

Food for thought if you ever find yourself bitching about the failings of the new generation. The youth hasn't changed, you've just become an old man.

KILL KILL and MacDuffle like this.
  13. sub_thug

sub_thug Red Belt

Meh, I think the reasons for joining are totally irrelevant. Back in my regular army days, some of my best soldiers were the ones who joined later in life because they wanted a stable job, healthcare, a salary, etc. to take care of their families. They didn't fuck around because they knew what was at stake for themselves and their families. Some guys joined up for adventure, and some of them were awesome soldiers because they wanted to be there, would tolerate the bullshit (many of them were athletes back in high school or college), and lived for doing all the cool-guy shit. Some join up for patriotic reasons, and that's great too. The only issue I saw was when the bureaucracy poured on, their enthusiasm faded along with their fantasies of being Audie Murphy. The ones that joined up for what they could get out of the deal were fine as long as they stayed motivated enough, so sometimes, they required some extra attention. Ultimately, it was the job of the leadership to keep their people challenged and engaged. A lot of leadership gets caught up in their own bullshit (meetings, training stats, and making sure that things are polished and shiny), and they forget about their troops. And then they wonder why their units suck.

Roaming East and usmctanker242 like this.
  14. Gregolian

"WOO DRESS BLUES WITH A SWORD!"

15. sub_thug

sub_thug Red Belt

Haha, I need to show you some new stuff man. I think you've posted every scene in Generation Kill at this point ;)

16. Gregolian

Yeah probably, part of it is cause after finishing The Wire I haven't had anything NEW I want to watch so I've gone back and restarted Generation Kill.

I need to watch The Pacific but I've heard it's nowhere near as good as Band of Brothers or Generation Kill.

17. sub_thug

sub_thug Red Belt

It's ok. It jumps around to different units to cover the major events of the Pacific theater, so it feels disjointed. You need to watch it 2 or 3 times before you really start to appreciate it.

Gregolian likes this.
  18. livingdeadmoose

I totally agree that leadership is responsible for keeping people motivated and that the Army’s politics can break a motivated young soldier.

And yes, it’s fine if you join to get free school or to take care of your family, but at the same time, I’ve heard some of these young shitbags say “I didn’t expect to deploy, I just joined for college!” when finding out that they are deploying. That shit pisses me off. They need to remember that they have a duty to their country wether or not they joined for patriotic reasons.

19. Strychnine

Strychnine Gold Belt

I'm a retired veteran and I 100% agree.

JosephDredd likes this.
  20. sub_thug

sub_thug Red Belt

If you signed up, do the job. I won't argue with that.

Swing likes this.