low leg kicks allowed?

Lotus7

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Are glory fighters allowed to kick the calf of their opponents with a shin leg kick under the knee? Some UFC fighters use this technique very effective but i havent seen it in Glory Kickboxing now.

Yeah.

Most kickboxers don't utilize it because they're fighting other competent kickers though. It's the easiest kick to check because you don't even need to raise your leg.

Guys in the UFC get away with it because: 1) there's not a ton of great kickers - even the ones that can kick well aren't exactly nuanced in any aspect other than offense (of course there are exceptions, just saying it's not the norm) 2) MMA fighting is always a bit chaotic with the allowance of all forms, so you can catch people off guard.

I've never been kicked on the calf so i don't know. Does it hurt?

Yeah.

Most kickboxers don't utilize it because they're fighting other competent kickers though. It's the easiest kick to check because you don't even need to raise your leg.
but if you kick the lower half of the calf and the blocker just turns his shinbone to the kick he blocks with the lower half of his shin with isnt near as hard as the upper part right under the knee.
Although most dutch kickboxers kick always on the knee or very short above it so it isnt really more difficult to check this one.

but if you kick the lower half of the calf and the blocker just turns his shinbone to the kick he blocks with the lower half of his shin with isnt near as hard as the upper part right under the knee.
Although most dutch kickboxers kick always on the knee or very short above it so it isnt really more difficult to check this one.

Yes, yes it is - the difference between turning to check, and then adding a lift is crucial.

Most guys who are targeting the calf aren't really invading space while they do it, they're keeping range. Sliding the check only a bit back will catch the kick lower towards the ankle and instep, making your check very painful and deterring them from doing it often.

Sweeps off of the calf is okay but trying to kick it is too risky with little pay off. It's super easy to turn your shin inward and then the kicker clashes into your shin or knee, hurting himself.

Back