Low blow city

how can anyone pretend ward isn't dirty as fuck?

he speedball punched kovalev's nutsack for the finish, for fuck's sake.
i saw the fight, i couldn't see any nutshots but that may be because of the poor resolution of the vid, they looked like regular bodyshots to me and kov didn't like them. boxers been wearing their shorts up to high for decades now, halfway up the abdomen usually, those aren't low.

i used to think those eastern europeans were harder than their white american counterparts, i'm starting to doubt that though. Andrew Golota quit a couple times, one of the klitschkos quit too and now this. He was begging to have it stopped, i don't think it warrants a third and it wasn't that good of a fight but ward did his job.

golovkin dropped sergey with a body shot in sparring. i believe roach called it a ko so kov couldnt continue. as classy as golovkin is ive never heard him mention it.

body shots hurt like hell, i can tell you from experience, having had some ribs broken but it won't stop you unless you let it. They can gass you out of course and they are more painful than headshots but they won't make you quit unless you are a quitter.

1326975183lennox-holyfield.jpg

i saw the fight, i couldn't see any nutshots but that may be because of the poor resolution of the vid, they looked like regular bodyshots to me and kov didn't like them. boxers been wearing their shorts up to high for decades now, halfway up the abdomen usually, those aren't low.
Here is a good angle of the punch that ended the fight.

ya, that looked low, how many like that? It was a lame stoppage any way you cut it and it looked like kov was looking for a way out but it's still a lame stoppage.

Most of the genuine low shots came right during that last flurry. I don't think Weeks was anywhere near assertive enough, and even though it really did look like Kovalev had already mentally checked out (which maybe would warrant a stoppage), that wasn't a good look. Those shots that Ward landed before he rocked Kovalev with the right hand looked fine to me, but during the last flurry, at least two of the shots were low (beltline was clearly said by Weeks to be fine, but some of those were below the beltline). It's pretty clear to me that Kovalev was done one way or another, though. He was hurt to the body and to the head and completely exhausted. Ward was obviously quite a bit sharper this time out (I was surprised to see him land his right hand up top as much as he did, as he has never really had a particularly good right hand), but if you're a fighter on the level that Kovalev is at, you shouldn't be gassing that badly (body work was a big factor, but to have almost nothing left in the tank by rounds 7 and 8 is not what you expect from great fighters). It does make you wonder just what was happening in his camp.

It's a shame that this somewhat strange ending is going to overshadow what is a fairly remarkable achievement. Very few people would have believed that Ward could stop Kovalev.

i used to think those eastern europeans were harder than their white american counterparts, i'm starting to doubt that though. Andrew Golota quit a couple times, one of the klitschkos quit too and now this. He was begging to have it stopped, i don't think it warrants a third and it wasn't that good of a fight but ward did his job.

Still harder based off the fact there's barely any White American males in boxing, period.

Agreed. Especially when it was a close fight. If he had the energy (which I don't think he did) , he could have tried to rally late.
Yeah, thats why I don't think we should call foul too much on how it turned out. Kovalev was looking for a way out and all the manhood sank out of him...Andre was relentless and dug in those guts, trying to drop Kova's arms, I assume, and set up the big powershot to the dome and drop Kovalez for good. Sergei didnt want to go out like that. Have we seen any complaints from him or his camp since?

Most of the genuine low shots came right during that last flurry. I don't think Weeks was anywhere near assertive enough, and even though it really did look like Kovalev had already mentally checked out (which maybe would warrant a stoppage), that wasn't a good look. Those shots that Ward landed before he rocked Kovalev with the right hand looked fine to me, but during the last flurry, at least two of the shots were low (beltline was clearly said by Weeks to be fine, but some of those were below the beltline). It's pretty clear to me that Kovalev was done one way or another, though. He was hurt to the body and to the head and completely exhausted. Ward was obviously quite a bit sharper this time out (I was surprised to see him land his right hand up top as much as he did, as he has never really had a particularly good right hand), but if you're a fighter on the level that Kovalev is at, you shouldn't be gassing that badly (body work was a big factor, but to have almost nothing left in the tank by rounds 7 and 8 is not what you expect from great fighters). It does make you wonder just what was happening in his camp.

It's a shame that this somewhat strange ending is going to overshadow what is a fairly remarkable achievement. Very few people would have believed that Ward could stop Kovalev.
I honestly believe it was mental fatigue that got it started. Lets be honest, Ward is close to Mayweather level RIQ. He had Kovalev working hard to figure out what he could do next and what Ward might do next. After a while your brain starts to tell you, "fuck man, this isnt going too well, he's handled everything." The big right that started the beginning of the end is perfect evidence. Kova threw a half assed lazy combo and stood right there flat footed looking/hoping to see if anything touched Ward dropped his hands like "did anything happen?"....
And Andre put everhthing into that straight no more than 2 ft away from Kovalev. Ward saw it plain as day, and even let out a yell as he threw it. It was time to let a big one go, cause Kova was still right there in front of him.

body shots hurt like hell, i can tell you from experience, having had some ribs broken but it won't stop you unless you let it. They can gass you out of course and they are more painful than headshots but they won't make you quit unless you are a quitter.

or if you make the mistake of first going to the boxing gym after mexican food and the coach says " lets get in a few rounds of sparring to the body" I guess i didnt have to quit after the first round but i didnt want to shit in the ring.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.

I honestly believe it was mental fatigue that got it started. Lets be honest, Ward is close to Mayweather level RIQ. He had Kovalev working hard to figure out what he could do next and what Ward might do next. After a while your brain starts to tell you, "fuck man, this isnt going too well, he's handled everything." The big right that started the beginning of the end is perfect evidence. Kova threw a half assed lazy combo and stood right there flat footed looking/hoping to see if anything touched Ward dropped his hands like "did anything happen?"....
And Andre put everhthing into that straight no more than 2 ft away from Kovalev. Ward saw it plain as day, and even let out a yell as he threw it. It was time to let a big one go, cause Kova was still right there in front of him.

I saw the fight differently than most i guess. I seen ward winning close rounds. Kov was missing so many shots early on and alot of them were heavy haymakers that he was missing. Ward was mixing it up perfectly, pulling back, or standing his ground and causing the clinch(similar to what floyd did to pac) kov had no idea what to do and ultimately couldnt take the body shots

Yeah, thats why I don't think we should call foul too much on how it turned out. Kovalev was looking for a way out and all the manhood sank out of him...Andre was relentless and dug in those guts, trying to drop Kova's arms, I assume, and set up the big powershot to the dome and drop Kovalez for good. Sergei didnt want to go out like that. Have we seen any complaints from him or his camp since?

Ya kov has complained relentlessly. His whole team and promoter

Its a bully thing. Theyre tough guys from tough backgrounds, and get comfortable being the tougher dude....Theyre badasses until they face a guy that doesnt wilt and brings it just as much as they do, maybe more. They're used to brute strengthing a mofo into making a mistake and knocking them out or overpowering them. But every man has his limits, and if its not tested enough before hand, they cant deal the first time it happens to them. This was Kovalev's first real experience at the highest level...

Will be Interesting to see how GGG copes with the same scenario.

or if you make the mistake of first going to the boxing gym after mexican food and the coach says " lets get in a few rounds of sparring to the body" I guess i didnt have to quit after the first round but i didnt want to shit in the ring.

I learned a valuable lesson that day.
they say cornelius boza edwards shat his pants when he fought arguello. you should have toughed it out though, a little shit never killed anyone.

Still harder based off the fact there's barely any White American males in boxing, period.
you're right, i was thinking of the guys when i was younger, and the reasoning went that white boxers stopped showing up because there weren't white ghettos anymore. still, guys like cooney weren't really strong upstairs. there were a few tough ones though, pazienza never quit that i know of, tommy morrison had balls but not much chin unfortunately, I like Mancini but I think he kind of showed signs of surrender in a couple fights, hard as that may be to believe. He turned his back on arguello, which is somewhat forgivable being that he was probably groggy as hell but i still remember him looking like he's telling the ref to stop the first bramble fight. sure, as we know today, many great fighters have actually quit at some point but many more know that they would never do such a thing, as much as i hate sugar ray leonard, i still remmeber the look on his face the last round against camacho, he knew he was going to get his ass stopped but he went out there anyway, gotta admire that.

Ok hadnt been looking. Thanks

Just finished the 2nd vid all the way through. had only seen highlights but damn the fans talking shit to kov.

thought it was funny that kov said that ward is not the best hes faced lol

reminds me alot of pacs excuses. some people just cant accept defeat

how did john david jackson do in the corner?

Back