Low Back Arch for Squats

JuniorSonGoku

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I always assumed that I had pretty good posture during my squats, but I've noticed that my lower back arches a bit when I go down to the bottom of a rep.

I'm just wondering if this is normal, or if your back should remain straight through the whole exercise? I was taught that I should arch it a little, but I'm not sure if that was correct.

The lower back has a natural small arch when in neutral.

Ideally, you would maintain that natural small arch in the bottom of the squat.

Number 1 thing to avoid: your back going into flexion.

The lower back has a natural small arch when in neutral.

Ideally, you would maintain that natural small arch in the bottom of the squat.

Number 1 thing to avoid: your back going into flexion.

I don't think I have any issues with flexion (if you mean the top part of the back going forward creating a forward bow), I just wasn't sure what neutral looked like. I think I might be going into hyper-extension (the other direction), but I'm not sure if the back has some natural arch to it.

I don't think I have any issues with flexion (if you mean the top part of the back going forward creating a forward bow), I just wasn't sure what neutral looked like. I think I might be going into hyper-extension (the other direction), but I'm not sure if the back has some natural arch to it.
the lumbar spine absolutely has a natural arch to it. he was referring to lumbar flexion, not thorasic flexion.

hyperextension of the lumbar region is uncommon in males

Post up a video.

What you want while squatting is a neutral and stable position, kind of like typical good posture standing, only braced like if someone was going to punch you in the stomach.

One cue is to "breathe into your lower back." Your lungs should be inflated and your core braced. And then you hold the same back posture throughout the movement of the squat.

Is this the fabled "butt wink?" Stretch your ankles and hip flexors and do pause squats.

Check out some of Alan Thralls video on squatting, and especially but wink, which everybody more or less has in the bottom of a squat.

This video is all on the but wink.

Back