Lots of Fedors "prime" boards recently. Ya all know he has had 100's of full contact fights right?

Someone objective please help - I saw two neck crank submissions - isn’t that a noob sub to get tapped by? Like can’t it be argued if he was tapping dudes out with neck cranks that they don’t have the right skill set to step on the same mat as a true fighter/grappler? I mean it happens right Joe Soto got tapped from a calf sliced, but it seems odd. Also what’s the the 70’s basketball shorts but also have the gi top? Quite a comical look.
Leglocking savages

Gi w striking has some cool tech you cant do in mma.

Sambo is a full contact martial art. It sure as hell isn't karate point fighting.

Fedor was more active in martial arts than any other MMA star you can name. Crocop is also up there with boxing and kick boxing. And yeah, his prime died early too.

His dominance relied on speed and agility. That goes when your body gets beat up.

So please don't get confused again about why he "fell out of his prime" and make idiotic comparisons to other fighters because they are the same age or whatnot.

By board, do you mean... thread?

Even the haters know deep down that Fedor was the best fighter of all time.

He started losing in sambo just right before he started losing in mma.

~DaViD~

was lookin for his combat sambo record
this is the best i could find:

3rd 2008 World Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2008 Russian Combat Sambo Championship
Winner 2007 World Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2007 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2006 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2005 World Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2002 World Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2002 World Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 2002 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
3rd 2000 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 1998 Russian Armed Forces Combat Sambo Championships
2nd 1998 Russian Armed Forces Combat Sambo Championships
3rd 1998 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 1997 European Combat Sambo Championships
Winner 1997 Russian Combat Sambo Championships
Awesome post

~DaViD~

Let me guess, to be MMA goat you need at least 100 fights in pajamas and head gear now?

Well its definitley a style that doesnt lend itself to longevity. Its a testament to Fedor he lasted as long as he did. His style was straight ahead in your face destruction. He knew how to be patient and conservative when he needed to be and certainly had good defense in all areas,but the main objective was not to ponce about. Get in there and smash the fucking other guy,or rip his arm out.

If you ignore all the nuances and tricks,how could you not be a fan of his straight ahead smashing machine style despite the size disadvantages he was dealing with sometimes?

Honestly it does tend to be a feature across the sport, a lot of guys who have an intense style and perhaps just as much intense training don't tend to last long at the top, Shogun, Cain, etc come to mind, by those standards 10 years and 30+ fights isn't bad at all although you could argue coming down from such a high level ment he could keep his spot at the top even when on the decline.

Whatever you think about combat sambo itself I'd say it probably represented that same kind of intense close to full contact training which arguably does give a physiological edge in MMA. If your much more used to a real fight situation its probably a lot easier to "fight smart" and not get carried away in the moment.

Last edited:
Agree with post, Fedor was constantly doing tourneys and fighting. I remember the main thing that kept him out of ufc, right after they bought pride, was that Dana wouldn't agree to let Fedor do Sambo, and it was a huge deal breaker for Fedor, as in Russia he was like Tyson in usa. Fedor like most Russians, are really patriotic and he wouldn't stop doing Sambo to be property of the ufc.

Agree with post, Fedor was constantly doing tourneys and fighting. I remember the main thing that kept him out of ufc, right after they bought pride, was that Dana wouldn't agree to let Fedor do Sambo, and it was a huge deal breaker for Fedor, as in Russia he was like Tyson in usa. Fedor like most Russians, are really patriotic and he wouldn't stop doing Sambo to be property of the ufc.

Honestly I suspect the big issue there was that Dana tried to lowball Fedor in 2007, you look at what other Pride guys got in the UFC and whilst yeah they earned a good amount its not at all close to what he was getting on that leaked M-1 deal. By 2009 Dana was talking bigger numbers but by that stage it wasn't really about Fedor anymore, he'd signed with M-1 so it was a case of them and the UFC doing a deal.

Honestly I suspect the big issue there was that Dana tried to lowball Fedor in 2007, you look at what other Pride guys got in the UFC and whilst yeah they earned a good amount its not at all close to what he was getting on that leaked M-1 deal. By 2009 Dana was talking bigger numbers but by that stage it wasn't really about Fedor anymore, he'd signed with M-1 so it was a case of them and the UFC doing a deal.
Agreed with all, but 2 sticking points were no Sambo and exclusive rights. Dana said at the time they were offering more $, but wouldn't agree to him competing in Sambo tourneys because of the investment. They offered like 2mil per fight and shot at Lesnar who was champ and a huge draw fight. M wanted to come promote fights in Russia as well. The m1 owner said "Finkelchtein said White and the UFC were not flexible. "They refused to give him the right to perform in combat sambo," he said, "and that was very important to him."
I think rumor of thier first offer was like 30 million, for 6 fights or something crazy for that time.

Last edited:
Agreed with all, but 2 sticking points were no Sambo and exclusive rights. Dana said at the time they were offering more $, but wouldn't agree to him competing in Sambo tourneys because of the investment.

Sambo is probably something that might of been overcome by compensation but I just think the UFC in 2007 was playing on the idea they were the only game in town, the majority of ex Pride names needed to be resigned but probably went along with that line of thinking. Vadim saw that being a free agent as P4P level guy was potentially worth a lot of money to new promoters and offered Fedor a deal much better than guys like Crocop, Nog, Shogun, Wand, etc got in the UFC. By 2009 things were very different as it was far more proven that big names could sign for rival orgs hence the UFC starting to talk much bigger money but again it really wasn't up to Fedor then, he might have had some refusal but it was M-1 he was signed to still and them who did deals with promoters.

Sambo is probably something that might of been overcome by compensation but I just think the UFC in 2007 was playing on the idea they were the only game in town, the majority of ex Pride names needed to be resigned but probably went along with that line of thinking. Vadim saw that being a free agent as P4P level guy was potentially worth a lot of money to new promoters and offered Fedor a deal much better than guys like Crocop, Nog, Shogun, Wand, etc got in the UFC. By 2009 things were very different as it was far more proven that big names could sign for rival orgs hence the UFC starting to talk much bigger money but again it really wasn't up to Fedor then, he might have had some refusal but it was M-1 he was signed to still and them who did deals with promoters.
I think it’s safe to say Fedor ended up A LOT richer then he would of in the UFC. Even if Fedor was like a 5+ time defending champ in the UFC

Overeem had way more wars and still fighting against top ten of today, fedor is overrated

Overeem had way more wars and still fighting against top ten of today, fedor is overrated
Overeem gets KTFO every other fight. Fedor went 10 years undefeated. What's the longest Reem went without a loss? Fedor was #1 for 7 years. How long was Reem ranked #1? Oh, that's right. Never.

Reem was getting KTFO by MWs in PRIDE while Fedor was ruling the greatest Heavyweight era we have ever seen. So then Reem turns his career around with the largest dose of horse juice we have ever seen, which obviously extended and revived his career. He has some great wins but Fedor has many more ranked wins.

Reem is a great fighter and a legend in his own right but Fedor is several levels above Reem.

Last edited:
Back