Lost three friends since July to drug overdose.

I'm sorry to hear that Agony. Now I don't want to sound like a dick because I'm not trying to be one, this is just honest advice. If I were you, I'd find new friends. You don't need that kind of influence in your life, it doesn't matter what kind of history you have with them. I've had to drop friends in my life as well.

And no this isn't a normal thing for guys in their late twenties.

lol folks telling him to get better friends, like they were born addicted to heroin, coke etc sometimes they fall into these traps with poor choices but are still good people. it's unfortunate.

First off, drug abuse isn't a trap. Drugs don't sneak out from a dark alley and force their way into you. A person makes a conscious decision to use them.

Second, yes its normal to drop friends who are making bad decisions with their lives. You never know when you might land yourself in trouble just by associating with them. It's a part of growing up, something which you still need to do.

If a dopehead is gonna change for the better they're gonna have to come to that decisions themselves. No amount of enabling and fake love is gonna make em decide to turn their life around.
Every shoulder to cry on, every sympathetic figure is another target to exploit for their own addiction. They've made a career outta being sheisters, they only way to prevent them from using people is to not support them. So sayeth every suburban drug addict who ruins their poor moms life cuz she loves em too much to dump em on their ass like they deserve.

You believe you're some behavioral health and addiction expert and can lecture everyone else on the "only way"' addicts will change.

That's hilarious because you're so scared of them you told people not to even have conversations with them. They're going to steal your words and advice and sell them for dope? Maybe you're gullible or you surround yourself with a lot of dumb people but most adults I know can interact with addicts without getting "exploited" by them.

Not everyone here reacts to friends with an addiction problem like a devoting suburban mom. You coming to that assumption tells me you don't know shit about recovery. My hunch is you've seen a couple enablers and because you like to lecture other people on shit you actually believed that getting played was the only conclusion and ran with that false notion.

We're not all suckers, we'll keep trying to help our friends and somehow not lose all our belongings buddy.

I was a former drug addict in my early 20s and fortunately I got out before it became too bad. I had some friends continue down that path that I stopped associating with after that. As far as I know, none of them died from it. So I feel for you. But three people dying is definitely not normal for anyone.

Sorry for your losses, TS, especially so close to Christmas time.

I can't relate to the method but have lost some friends that still hurts.

I lost a friend to a rare disease I can't remember the name off hand right now. My other friend needed a heart transplant, got it and passed on 2 and a half weeks later from a random infection. And some other friends had a bad falling out with.

Stay strong even if it's hard to do.

The drug relapse rate is between 40-60%, but the media paints a rosy picture about the stories where drug addicts are able to stop using permanently and are able to change their lives (with help from Dr. Phil, Intervention, etc, of course), and therefore, people believe that a majority of drug addicts are very capable of treating their addiction (especially if they have a "support system," which might not be possible for some due to socioeconomic circumstances) and the majority of drug addicts end up conquering their addiction.

I think the other end of the spectrum is probably more likely, which is that drug addiction (especially heroin) is a downward spiral, and the people that get sucked into it are probably naturally disposed to wallow in whatever it is they are using the drug for, IE: a high, an escape, a thrill, etc. Moreover, the resulting behaviour of drug addicts can be quite detestable, which might be why some responses seem to be heartless. Druggies can be assholes, because for some of them, their #1 priority is getting a high. Everything else, including relationships, might just be a means to that end.

One, single relapse doesn't mean they still aren't on the path to recovery. I feel like whenever someone tries giving up anything in their life they will slip up at least once before kicking it for good.

Heroin is super tough but a lot of people kick oxy and other prescription addictions without going on some super dramatic downward spiral to become forever wallowing assholes.

I go to OD calls al, the time. I've built up a tolerance. While not totally apathetic, my empathy has long since diminished. I tend to worry more about the family than the patient nowadays.

While the addiction is very real and tough to beat. The choice to begin, is on them. Every single person has a choice as to whether or not open Pandora's box.

So stay strong if you are dealing with a family member junkie. Remember it's not on you to bring them out of this. Darwin will sort this all out eventually.

that is tragic.drugs suck. I know a lot of people who became meth addicts,it made them into different people.

An Addict in the Family is a great book to use as a resource..

I've posted about this a little before but my oldest son (22) is currently a heroin addict... He had a rough/huge relapse last weekend. I feel for you TS, seeing people close to in the grip of heroin is heart wrenching. Sorry for your loss dude.

I just did illegal drugs last night and it was fantastic.
I used to like cocaine and "purple drank" but after I built up a tolerance it wasn't fun anymore, haven't done either in 8 years ,smoke weed like once a month, it is crazy easy to get in California.

Drugs aren't important enough to base your life around, that includes weed. Grow the **** up people.

An Addict in the Family is a great book to use as a resource..

I've posted about this a little before but my oldest son (22) is currently a heroin addict... He had a rough/huge relapse last weekend. I feel for you TS, seeing people close to in the grip of heroin is heart wrenching. Sorry for your loss dude.

Let him live with you. Get him away from the people, the people are worse than the drug.. The ARE the drug, in part. Start mountain biking with him or something. God bless you both, and good luck.

Let him live with you. Get him away from the people, the people are worse than the drug.. The ARE the drug, in part. Start mountain biking with him or something. God bless you both, and good luck.

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

Just left the viewing. Thanks everyone for being supportive. the dude was only 22. Ugh.
I just did illegal drugs last night and it was fantastic.

I'm quitting most of them. After my last break up I was doing a lot of acid, Molly and Coke. Never fucked with meth or heroin. I'm done with Coke and Molly I think. Should probably give up on most of the boozing.

I have a friend that went full Syd Barrett on us....

Condolences TS.

Just left the viewing. Thanks everyone for being supportive. the dude was only 22. Ugh.

I'm quitting most of them. After my last break up I was doing a lot of acid, Molly and Coke. Never fucked with meth or heroin. I'm done with Coke and Molly I think. Should probably give up on most of the boozing.

MOST of them? I respect that you try to help drug addicts get clean but how are you supposed to help if you yourself are not clean? You're not to far away from being in the same position as the people you are trying to help.

Sorry to hear that, stay strong.

I lost my best friend to heroin last christmas.

MOST of them? I respect that you try to help drug addicts get clean but how are you supposed to help if you yourself are not clean? You're not to far away from being in the same position as the people you are trying to help.

Well I mean I'm quitting everything but Marijuana. No more Coke or Molly or anything hard anymore.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Back