Losing weight | Page 2

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by nicknasty, Apr 2, 2007.

1. anaconda Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

anaconda
    everything you wrote makes perfect sense, and i think a lot of people would agree. I myself agree with you.

theres no reason you cant do interval training on an elliptical; actually thats exactly what i did. also, i used to put the resistance WAY up (like out of 20, i would warm up on 12 and work at 15-16, doing intervals of hard sprints at 18-20).

much better workout than a treadmill, and ironically gets some resistance work per your article.

to nicknasty: i didnt mean to tell you that xyience flat out didnt work. what i said is that there are more efficacious and cheaper products out there. basically youre overspending for an inferior product. but of course, if youre happy with it, keep at it man. the most important thing is for you to be satisfied and stay motivated.

2. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    my comment wasnt really directed towards you. I understand that there maybe better products....but i can get both bottles for under $40 including shipping. So its not too bad.

3. Mikeb85 Orange Belt

Mikeb85
    Resistance training is the key (ie. weights). Circuit training is awesome. Try running or hiking outdoors, even better if you can find some variable terrain (over variable terrain your body is forced to stabilize itself, which adds a resistance element to the workout). For cardio, one of my favourite workouts is the rowing machine - you get resistance training, a full body workout, as well as the cardio component. Core training - not just sit-ups, tons of exercises out there to work your core.

Hiring a personal trainer for a few sessions might be a good idea too, just to get you started.

Diet - I've had great success with eating grains, fruit and nuts in the morning for energy, plenty of fruits, vegetables and meat throughout the day to help sustain you, and protein after workouts to build muscle. Take it easy on the pasta, bread and whatnot, don't eliminate them, but don't eat too much of them. And finally, don't binge on anything, and try to eat plenty throughout the day - instead of eating when you feel hungry, eat at regular intervals and think more of it as fuel for your body.

4. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    just needed to post on here to get it to the front of the topic list again, for more responses.

5. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    just needed to post on here to get it to the front of the topic list again, for more responses

6. feezy Übereem > Overeem

feezy
    Starr's 5x5 program, along with a protein heavy diet (don't exclude carbs, just limit them) and some HIIT 3x a week is incredibly effective at losing fat. I speak from experience.

The other crazy thing about lifting and spriting like this is that once you've been going for a while, it seems that if you cheat yourself now and then and binge on some unhealthy food there's no appreciable weight gains because you are staying so active.

It's also a great program for rapidly increasing your strength.

You should go to the sherdog strength & power forums and read the stickies there.

7. Yojimbo Brown Belt

Yojimbo
    that's a 'ttt'

noob :icon_chee

8. Soulbane I gotta have more cowbell!

Soulbane
    Don't get impatient. Don't go too extreme with your diet, the worst thing you can do foryourself is to accustom yourself to a diet you wont stick to.

You're doing great. Keep cutting the weight.

9. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    Yeah my diets not too bad i cut a lot out and every so often get to "reward" myself with something that i normally dont get to eat. But i have lost about 30 lbs now, in a little over 3 months. I know that at first the lbs will fall off and then it will get a lot harder. I know that i have gained muscle too. Mainly i was just looking for some input about how to lose weight better/faster. Such as lifting before you run, HIIT, stuff like that.....thanks for all the great input.

10. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    Yeah my diets not too bad i cut a lot out and every so often get to "reward" myself with something that i normally dont get to eat. But i have lost about 30 lbs now, in a little over 3 months. I know that at first the lbs will fall off and then it will get a lot harder. I know that i have gained muscle too. Mainly i was just looking for some input about how to lose weight better/faster. Such as lifting before you run, HIIT, stuff like that.....thanks for all the great input.

11. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    so i changed it up a little and started lifting heavier amounts and have started to gain TONS of muscle. I stopped doing HIIT and started running more long distance runs. I have lost about 4-5 lbs in the last 10-14 days. I still take the nox cg3, but stopped taking the rest. Hopefully these changes will work. I think that might be a factor......maybe just changing my workout every 6 weeks or so.

12. mmacheesedhead Orange Belt

mmacheesedhead
    Congrats on the weight loss. I too was 225 when I started Jiu Jitsu and got down to 195 in a matter of months. I just got back from the gym and was at an all time low of 187. Your program sounds alot more in depth than mine. I am in the military so I have to run but I also train alot with weights and most of my cardio is from BJJ practice cause my coach works us harder than hell. I am more tired after a half hour of his workout than running 4 miles.

13. Core Orange Belt

Core
    i wish i had to cut weight, i have the opposite problem :-( 5'7 140 lbs., i wanna get to 160. But as for your post, grats on how much weight you started with and some of your supplements are over priced imo. If i were you just take WHEY protein, creatin manohydrate, and a multi-vitamin.

14. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    I get everything off of ebay....which i pay pretty much cost. I get them for about a fourth of the price. So yeah normally they are WAY overpriced but i get them cheap so it works out. Thanks for the congrats.....man i really wish i was 160 :icon_lol: I am hoping to get down to about 180-185 and then start to really but on muscle and bulk up a little, hopefully no more than 195. I just have to lose a little bit off of my gut and then ill be doing good. Anyways thanks for the support.

15. islappauface White Belt

islappauface
    Congrats! I started training in BJJ 3 months ago and have lost 21lbs. I'm 5'7 and was 229.5lbs. Roly poly! My goal is to reach 180lbs. So far I've been eating healthier @ proper portions. I only train Bjj once per week (I live 1 1/2 hrs away). At home I run and do the warm ups from class (abs/pushups/stretches).

16. LordarshynBJJ Blue Belt

LordarshynBJJ
    You're losing weight at a really good rate.

Recently I went on a high protein metabolic diet plan that a doctor gave me. I followed it perfectly and managed to lose 20 pounds in a month and a half, and it's stayed off, too. In fact, I have still been losing weight since then, and I haven't been following the diet.

17. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty
    Thanks. I have my moments....for a month or so I only lost about 4-5 lbs. But the month before i had lost about 12 lbs and the month after i lost about 8 lbs. All together i have lost about 30 lbs in about 4 months. I got sick one time and could not work out for like almost 2 weeks(worst flu EVER) and ended up gaining like 4 lbs back. So i think my total lose is almost like 40 lbs(since i gained some and lost it again). Oh well hopefully my weight lose continues cause i still have some fat to lose.....

18. The_Bear Purple Belt

The_Bear
    I agree with the resistance training. It builds great muscle and bone and if you perform specific types of exercises (such as extending your arms when lifting) you will strengtehn smaller fibers and ligaments and tendons. the HIIT i agree with as well. You can improve your speed and agility with those. One thing I am a big advocate for is flexability. Flexability has helped me incredibly for my martial arts training. It makes working out easier, and expands muscles and arteries and veins. and core stretching also puts intense strain on your organs making htem stronger and helathier.

19. Kyuktooki Blue Belt

Kyuktooki
    I went to a nutritionist who just happened to have gotten her MD from Harvard. Most of the things were common sense but she mentioned a few things I was doing wrong.
    Carbohydrates are good earlier in the day for fuel, you will burn them off when you work out. Later in the day, especially dinner, you want your meal to be mostly protein. (I kind of knew this already but it stuck with me after she said it again).
    Ideally, you should exercise an hour after eating. (maybe I heard this once in a bodybuilding magazine but I never followed the advice until she said it)
    Also, exercises that build muscle should take a priority over cardio, although I should get at least 25-30 mins of cardio.
    I followed her advice and lost 35 lbs, and gained muscle as well. That was in a period of maybe 7 weeks. A bit fast, but I am 6'6" so a sudden weight drop like that is not as dramatic as it might seem. I have kept it off for two months now.

20. nicknasty Blue Belt

nicknasty

Yeah I knew most of what you said.....I usually get up and have a light "breakfast"(a little oatmeal and fruit), then workout and shower. A small snack after...sometimes a powerbar, then about 2-3 hours later a small lunch where i get most of my carbs in. Then a few hours later a small snack. Then dinner is usually some grilled chicken, fish, veggies, some fruit.....stuff like that. Only sometimes do i have some pasta, thats usually if i work out 2x a day or do any other activities in the afternoon. I try to get at least 20 mins of cardio on days that i am lifting. Other days are mostly cardio. I might go to a nutritionist and see what they have to say....wouldnt hurt i guess. I have dropped a decent amount of weight. About 10lbs a month and gained some muscle as well. I think that I have just hit a little plateau and will lose weight slower from here on out. Even if i lose 5-6 lbs a month thats still really good. My goal is only another 20 lbs or so. :icon_cry2