losing a percentage of purse is a joke

Drain Bamage

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
lol that is not punishment enough for skipping weight cutting

That's why Wonderboy's stipulation should be the rule and not the exception.

You should lose 20% for every pound you're over.

That way even if you're going to miss weight you'll still try to cut what you can.

I'm with you. I would like to see some harsher consequences for missing weight beyond the fighter losing a % of their purse. Only taking a % of the purse is not working. Weight misses are happening frequently regardless.

I can't say how practical these measures would be in the long run but I would like to see something like this implemented.

1 - If a fighter misses weight then their next fight is automatically at the next weight class higher. (There would obviously be an exception for HW and Women's Featherweight because there are currently no higher weight classes.)

2 - No fighter can be eligible to fight for a title immediately after a weight miss.

3 - No fighter can advance in the rankings following a weight miss.

4 - If the fight goes forward at a catchweight and the fighter who made weight loses, he will not drop in the rankings.

I'm with you. I would like to see some harsher consequences for missing weight beyond the fighter losing a % of their purse. Only taking a % of the purse is not working. Weight misses are happening frequently regardless.

I can't say how practical these measures would be in the long run but I would like to see something like this implemented.

1 - If a fighter misses weight then their next fight is automatically at the next weight class higher. (There would obviously be an exception for HW and Women's Featherweight because there are currently no higher weight classes.)

2 - No fighter can be eligible to fight for a title immediately after a weight miss.

4 - If the fight goes forward at a catchweight and the fighter who made weight loses, he will not drop in the rankings.

i like #1 a lot

that is a great deterrent actually

tenor.gif

I dig all of that. Maybe some type of automatic point deduction too from the score cards to make it harder to win a decision via using your blown up body weight to wrestle F the smalller guy.

I say it's down to the fighter who made weight to decide terms. They'll be the one fighting an over weight opponent. I like wondeeboys teams stipulation.

That way even if you're going to miss weight you'll still try to cut what you can.

I would be 100% for this. Not only would they still try to cut all they can, but if they were going to miss badly they'd probably just pull out of the fight like they should.

There really should be urine specific gravity or something similar for the ENTIRE sport. I plan on competing in MMA one day, and to be honest, it's the weight cutting that's making me rethink my decision. Not the fact that I can get spin kicked in the head.

The UFC will never put anything like this into effect but I gotta say man I think it looks great to me

I'd also like to see more short notice fights turned into catchweight bouts as well. As it's unfair to the person taking the fight to ask them to train on short notice and cut a large amount of weight, but it is unfair to their opponent if they come in overweight regardless of the short notice

Khabib vs Max at 165, Yoel vs Luke at 195 etc.

It amazes me that people think coming down from 205 to 173 instead of 171 is skipping weight cutting.

It's a sign something went drastically wrong in camp.

There really should be urine specific gravity or something similar for the ENTIRE sport. I plan on competing in MMA one day, and to be honest, it's the weight cutting that's making me rethink my decision. Not the fact that I can get spin kicked in the head.
The weight cutting does more long term damage to you actually then the spinning kick.

Your kidneys will appreciate it.

That's of course if you choose to fight as small as possible. There are multiple advantages to not cutting wish and fighting at your natural weight. Cardio, ability to absorb damage, performance all get better.

Lol... So do they pay after 5lbs?

The wish cutting does more long term damage to you actually then the spinning kick.

Your kidneys will appreciate it.
Big John McCarthy has gone on record multiple times saying weight cutting is more dangerous than PEDs. Crazy when you think about it. Didn't DC fuck up his kidneys and Khabib almost die from liver failure from weight cuts?

I think this would be a good start.

It's pretty clear to me that some of these fighters are reaching a point where they decide either:
a) they're not gonna hit the mark so not point depleting further or
b) they'd rather just give up a slice of their purse and come in the fresher fighter.

What's clear is that the current penalty isn't enough motivation.

Back